UEFA EURO 2020 Qualifiers and International Friendlies ** spoilers ** [9th - 15th October 2019]

Caporegime
Feel for Wrighty, he’s been saying what needs to happen for years, I’m not as optimistic as him in thinking this is a great day for racism in football though as not much has actually happened yet, have to see what the second half and post match brings.

Soldato
I think the analysis is getting ahead of themselves with the idea we've done 'Step 2' and the next step will be abandonment.

Uefa's three-step protocol for dealing with racism at matches is as follows:

1. The referee will speak to the stadium announcer and demand the halting of racist behaviour.
  2. If it continues, the referee can take the players off the field into the dressing rooms for a period of time and the stadium announcer will make another address.
  3. If it still continues, the match will be abandoned.

As I see it, they didn't do Step 2.

Caporegime
They're racists, it has very little to do with being a football fan.

It wasn’t long back I’d hear racist shouts at my local ground, it’s obviously still about and something about this sport does seem to bring it out.

Plenty of black players in cricket and fans getting smashed in the stands and that sport doesn’t have the issue?

Soldato
It's because it's incredibly tribal.

Also, it's historically a sport for the "commoner" and as such sometimes pulls in the less educated members of society that have their main influence as Terry the holocaust denying Nazi down the pub that likes to take a bunch of bananas down the match on a Saturday afternoon.

When I used to stand in the Stretford End there was a Chris Smalling chant that was centred around the colour of his skin sang by the home fans, I also understand Romelu Lukkaku had the same thing last season I think, but then I haven't been to OT for a while now so can only go off reports. It was cringey as hell, but everyone was joining in. The education needs to be hammered into these people as the culture is just wrong.

Caporegime
What other sports are so popular in so many countries worldwide? What other sports offer the same kind of pedestal for idiots to be idiots on camera?

Well we currently have the rugby World Cup going on with...that's right, no racist incidents.

We just had the cricket World Cup wiiiiiith, you guessed it, no racist incidents.

Can't think of the last time we had any racist incidents at a golf or tennis masters either.

Soldato
Actually they have had significant problems with racism and basketball in the US, remember one incident where over a dozen college fans came to the match in black face :mad:

iu

635597658409693994-white-power-sign.jpg

iu

iu

iu

iu

Last edited:
Soldato
Well we currently have the rugby World Cup going on with...that's right, no racist incidents.

We just had the cricket World Cup wiiiiiith, you guessed it, no racist incidents.

Can't think of the last time we had any racist incidents at a golf or tennis masters either.

Far less nationalities involved than in even the European Qualifiers let alone the World Cup qualifiers, with generally far less fans too. World Cups take place in pre-approved countries and generally limits racist stuff, football world cups included.

Man of Honour

None of those sports come close to football in terms of popularity. The numbers combined with the points raised by Fubsy and it's not really a surprise football attracts all sorts.

I don't actually recall any racism in football world cups tbf.

Back
Top Bottom