UEFA Euro 2020 Quarter Finals ** spoilers ** [2nd - 3rd July 2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Sorry Shaw is well overweight he must be close to 20% bodyfat
I understand that this isn't a popular opinion, but I must admit that both of rubberduck's points about Luke Shaw crossed my mind during the game, i.e. that he was looking a little chunky, and that the vast majority of his passes were just back to the CB.

That quickly left my mind when he started setting up opportunities though. And to be fair he might just be diced, Traore style.

Soldato
I can't believe i'm entering this discussion with a serious response but here we go.

He's not fat, just like Wayne Rooney wasn't fat. You cannot play at his level without being ridiculously fit. He's a naturally wide bloke which when compared to the people around him makes him look big. It's all bone, muscle and skin.

Most of the passes from a LB will tend to be to a CB, especially in a game like yesterday's where there is absolutely no need to force anything. He's a defender after all.

When something is on, he's been very good this season reacting and creating.

Associate
Luke Shaw has always been a bigger person, that doesn't mean fat though. 20% bodyfat? Someone needs to come off the drink and drugs for a few hours.

He has covered more KM's over the tournament than most of the other England players. Such a joke of a comment.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I mean, he might be close to 20% but that doesn't mean he is overweight or fat. Some people are just built a bit thicker than others. The downside of that is that it is harder on your joints usually.

Have a google of what 20% BF looks like and I think most of you would be quite surprised.

Luke Shaw does tend towards being meaty but he isn't currently overweight and he is very fit at the moment.

Caporegime
You don't have to be fat to be overweight as a footballer. In a sport about your ability to run around for long periods carrying too much muscle isn't great either. Wasn't it Beckham who commented on that? That he'd put on too much bulk lifting in the gym and it'd affected his performance on the field for the worse?

Soldato
You don't have to be fat to be overweight as a footballer. In a sport about your ability to run around for long periods carrying too much muscle isn't great either. Wasn't it Beckham who commented on that? That he'd put on too much bulk lifting in the gym and it'd affected his performance on the field for the worse?
Now there is something in that. Remember Owen when Houllier or whoever it was tried to get him to bulk out. And Heskey too - both ruined by the bulk-up gym mantra, but Owen more so. His advantage was pace. Sure he got more bulk, but it did seem to lose his spark as a result. Contrast that however with C. Ronaldo who has toned up and bulked up and not lost anything, but kept going well into his 30s. It's not a black-and-white thing.

Caporegime
Now there is something in that. Remember Owen when Houllier or whoever it was tried to get him to bulk out. And Heskey too - both ruined by the bulk-up gym mantra, but Owen more so. His advantage was pace. Sure he got more bulk, but it did seem to lose his spark as a result. Contrast that however with C. Ronaldo who has toned up and bulked up and not lost anything, but kept going well into his 30s. It's not a black-and-white thing.

Owen was ruined by injury not bulking up. He even goes quite deep into it in several interviews. Mentally it ruined him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom