UFC **SPOILERS**

Associate
Joined
24 Jun 2007
Posts
194
Well, I'm new to OcUK, and I've not seen any UFC threads, so I wondered, any UFC fans around here?

For those who are familiar with UFC, UFC73 takes place in just over a week, Middleweight and Lightweight titles on the line. Also interesting is the return of Tito Ortiz. First fight back since the title shot loss to Chuck Liddell. He's fighting Rashad Evans who I believe is unbeaten in the UFC so far. However, I don't feel he's really been challenged yet, so this may be his chance to prove something.

Anyone else looking forward to this?
 
Associate
Joined
28 Oct 2002
Posts
2,345
Location
Glasgow
The thing with Ortiz i feel at this weight is, if he wins another fight or two and wants a shot at the title, he will have to go through Liddel and personally all I see is Chuck opening another can of whoop ass on him and I believe that Tito doesn't deserve a shot at Rampage if he can't get past Chuck first. I really hope they get the Axe Murderer into the UFC, really want to see Liddel vs Silva. :D
 
Soldato
Joined
6 Mar 2003
Posts
6,231
Location
West Lothian
I like Ortiz but I don't think he can beat Chuck, never mind a shot at Rampage. For the record I believe that Shogun Rua is the best light heavyweight in MMA and it's only a matter of time before he gets his shot at beating Rampage again.
With the quality in depth that there is in MMA now, I can't see Ortiz getting back to the top. I think he might take Evans though.

Interesting that Ninja Rua won some sort of title in a recent Elite XC event where he performed quite well. Hopefully he is getting back to his old self, I think he lost his way a bit in the world of MMA.
 
Soldato
Joined
6 Mar 2003
Posts
6,231
Location
West Lothian
DanH84 said:
hey, what channels are best for ufc/pride/k1 style events in the uk? is it bravo or something like that?

Bravo usually show the UFC stuff. Although I think it's either TMF or FTN used to show The Ultimate Fighter so maybe they show some other UFC events too.

As far as I know, there is no channel that shows PRIDE events in the UK.

The TWC (Wrestling channel) will sometimes show Cage Rage I think, SKY SPORTS also show some Cage Rage events I believe.

Eurosport used to show some K-1 events but not sure if they still do or not
 
Soldato
Joined
18 Oct 2002
Posts
4,655
Location
The Darkside
It will be along time before we see Tito take on Liddell thats for sure and I expect another shocker in the next event for I am backing Evans in that one cause he has become a hell of a fighter both on his feet and on the ground with his wrestling skills.

Finally, I don't think Shogun is the best light heavyweight as he still has a lot to prove and there are certain rules in the UFC which might hinder some of his fighting methods which we have seen used all the time in Pride.

The light heavyweight division is huge now with a lot of big major fights that can take place. For me I can't say who is the best for we see the likes of Liddell who 'looked' unbeatable until rampage waved his fist.

The heavyweight is a different matter, Fedor reigns that division.
 
Soldato
Joined
5 Aug 2004
Posts
6,812
Smit said:
Bravo usually show the UFC stuff. Although I think it's either TMF or FTN used to show The Ultimate Fighter so maybe they show some other UFC events too.

As far as I know, there is no channel that shows PRIDE events in the UK.

The TWC (Wrestling channel) will sometimes show Cage Rage I think, SKY SPORTS also show some Cage Rage events I believe.

Eurosport used to show some K-1 events but not sure if they still do or not

cheers, is there a website which lists what's on and what channels well in advance instead of having to look through the tv guide and hope?
 
Caporegime
Joined
17 Oct 2002
Posts
27,635
Location
Lancs/London
Big UFC fan here :)

Really looking forward to 73, stacked is an apt name for sure.

74 and 75 are both looking awesome, of which I have tickets for the London event, should be cracking.

All in all, the future is looking bright for the UFC!
 
Associate
OP
Joined
24 Jun 2007
Posts
194
UFC 74 and 75 are bound to be great. UFC74, is headlined by the Heavyweight Title fight between Randy Couture and Gabriel Gonzaga. I really wanna see Randy win purely because of the prospect that they will try to get him up against CroCop and Fedor! Those will be huge!

UFC75 is the headlined by the huge battle of the LHW. Rampage vs. Henderson. I've never seen Hendo in action but from what I've heard is that he's deadly and that Rampage doesn't stand a chance. What I find confusing though, is that the winner will become both Pride and UFC champion. Does that mean they'll be defending in both organisations? I know it's a possibility now that UFC own Pride, but it'll get rather confusing if you get a situation like Hendo (mainly a Pride fighter) being the UFC & Pride Light Heavyweight champion and for example Randy Couture (mainly a UFC Figher) being the UFC & Pride Heavyweight champion, and so on and so forth...

Bring us the fights, but keep the titles where they should be...
 
Soldato
Joined
17 Oct 2002
Posts
17,713
Location
Ashburton Grove
Zoom7000 said:
Well, I'm new to OcUK, and I've not seen any UFC threads, so I wondered, any UFC fans around here?

If you search through a bit, you'll see a UFC thread on every event for the past couple of years mate, quite a few fans in here. ;)

I think Henderson should take Rampage, especially after his recent demolition of Wanderlei Silva. As for the winner being both UFC and Pride champion, I find that rather odd, considering both now fight in the UFC, I presumed Henderson would give up his Pride belts.

The only thing I know about Gonzaga is what he did to Cro Cop and you can't rule Randy out, even though I have written him off a couple of times in the past, but he doesn't stop surprising everyone.
 
Soldato
Joined
6 Mar 2003
Posts
6,231
Location
West Lothian
Big Kev said:
If you search through a bit, you'll see a UFC thread on every event for the past couple of years mate, quite a few fans in here. ;)

I think Henderson should take Rampage, especially after his recent demolition of Wanderlei Silva. As for the winner being both UFC and Pride champion, I find that rather odd, considering both now fight in the UFC, I presumed Henderson would give up his Pride belts.

The only thing I know about Gonzaga is what he did to Cro Cop and you can't rule Randy out, even though I have written him off a couple of times in the past, but he doesn't stop surprising everyone.

I think some of the fighters have contracts allowing them to fight in either UFC or PRIDE events. I know Shogun Rua has a contract allowing him to do so. So I guess if a fighter has a contract allowing them to fight in either organisation then in theory they could be the champion of both.
 
Soldato
Joined
17 Oct 2002
Posts
17,713
Location
Ashburton Grove
Smit said:
I think some of the fighters have contracts allowing them to fight in either UFC or PRIDE events. I know Shogun Rua has a contract allowing him to do so. So I guess if a fighter has a contract allowing them to fight in either organisation then in theory they could be the champion of both.

If that's the case for a lot of the top fighters, they might as well merge both organisations then. :confused:
 
Soldato
Joined
6 Mar 2003
Posts
6,231
Location
West Lothian
Big Kev said:
If that's the case for a lot of the top fighters, they might as well merge both organisations then. :confused:

But if they merge the organisations then how are they going to work around it being in two different environments? I assume that PRIDE are going to keep their rules the way they are? ie stomping etc.

They could alternate I guess having some ring fights and some cage fights with the champion deciding on the ring/cage.
 
Soldato
Joined
12 Oct 2006
Posts
10,510
Location
Tatooine
Smit said:
I like Ortiz but I don't think he can beat Chuck, never mind a shot at Rampage. For the record I believe that Shogun Rua is the best light heavyweight in MMA and it's only a matter of time before he gets his shot at beating Rampage again.
With the quality in depth that there is in MMA now, I can't see Ortiz getting back to the top. I think he might take Evans though.

Interesting that Ninja Rua won some sort of title in a recent Elite XC event where he performed quite well. Hopefully he is getting back to his old self, I think he lost his way a bit in the world of MMA.

only reason Ortiz can't beat chuck is becuase chuck takedown defence is uber!! Shogun is easily taken down but very good on his back would be an instresting fight between Ortiz and shogun.

Rampage showed his boxing skills total outskilling chuck standup
 
Soldato
Joined
8 Nov 2002
Posts
4,370
Location
Kent
Smit said:
But if they merge the organisations then how are they going to work around it being in two different environments? I assume that PRIDE are going to keep their rules the way they are? ie stomping etc.
Pride rules are going to change to UFC rules so that the fighters dont have to adjust all the time and pride fights would be allowed in the USA.

Dana White explained how the situation with UFC and Pride belts would go comprehensively, he said that they were still working that out and that they just wanted to bring the biggest fights that people wanted to see.
 
Soldato
Joined
4 Jun 2005
Posts
3,781
Sometimes there is just a fighter that can beat someone who is really tough, although Rampage totally dominated Lidell I think against Tito he would struggle a little more than Lidell as Ortiz would be going for a ground game and Lidell seems to have better take down defense.

If he gets Evans down, Ortiz is more than likely to keep him down and win on points. On the other hand if Evans has improved defense on take downs I see a stand up fight and a KO!
 
Soldato
Joined
6 Mar 2003
Posts
6,231
Location
West Lothian
oddjob62 said:
Would love to see Frank Shamrock come back to UFC. He's still undefeated in UFC iirc, and still fighting.

Not sure if he will come back.. I believe he is fighting one of the Gracies next. Renzo possibly.
 
Associate
OP
Joined
24 Jun 2007
Posts
194
Although the belt situation is a bit confusing it is nice to see Dana giving the fans what they want.

I don't think the contracts allowing the fighters to fight between UFC and PRIDE really matter anymore as the UFC have control over both organisations, in theory they can move fighters between to 2 organisations however they wish.

As for Frank Shamrock, I've only ever seen 1 fight of his and that was against Tito Ortiz who he totally owned. It'll be interesting to see how they match up against each other now, if they ever will.
 
Back
Top Bottom