UHD and HDR

Soldato
Got a Panasonic tx-58dx802b coming on Thursday and need to convince the wife it was a worthy purchase so what is a good show off programme/film on Netflix or amazon prime.

Associate
I just picked up my 1st UHD telleh this weekend and there's a good range HDR on netflix and prime.

Altered Carbon looks mint, but I'm still yet to be convinced it's a good series.

Put The Blue Planet demo on the BBC iPlayer beta for her 1st, it is simply stunning.

Associate
Got a Panasonic tx-58dx802b coming on Thursday and need to convince the wife it was a worthy purchase so what is a good show off programme/film on Netflix or amazon prime.

please let me know if netflix and the bbc iplayer trigger your HDR its doesn't on my DX

does Amazon Prime have free HDR/ UHD content

Soldato

All on Netflix:

Altered Carbon looks great on my OLED in DV.

Also check out these if available still, Hibana Spark, Chef's Table, not shows I would watch but show off 4K/HDR.

Caporegime
Is it true that SDR a lot of the time looks better than HDR. Sorry if it's a dumb question but watching videos on the subject on youtube they often show SDR looking better.

Depends entirely on the film/tv show and which region of the film you compare, much like 4k and 1080P too, sometimes 1080P can actually look better than the 4k version.

Also, there is no point watching SDR VS HDR comparison on youtube etc. especially if you are watching it on a SDR display yourself. And lastly, you need to get a good HDR display, not one which is fake HDR i.e. doesn't meet the requirements. An OLED or one of sony's or panasonics high end LCD TVs with full array local dimming is what you need to see HDR really shine.

In my experience, the areas where HDR truly stands out is when there are dark scenes with bright objects i.e. things like the stars in space (passengers), a bright lamp in the back of a dim/dark street (la la land is very nice for stuff like this), neon lighting be that bill boards, shop signs etc. (as in the likes of blade runner, altered carbon).

Caporegime
Watched Atomic Blonde the other day and that displays HDR very well in parts, as above dark scenes with points of bright light make it come alive, it even changed the old Harry Potter films for me as the spells and what not just look fantastic with HDR even though it's just a conversion.

Soldato
OP
All I can say is WOW what a stunning picture. Going to try a few of the above later and the little one is watching dora the Explorer on it atm

Back
Top Bottom