Poll: UK Gun Laws

• Thread starter Thread starter NVP
  • Start date Start date

Should civilians have access to weapons?

• Yes - Current law is fine, no changes needed

• No - Only "Professional" users can be licensed

• No - Remove all guns from Civilians

• Yes - Current laws are too restrictive

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sure, he could have used a knife. But he didn’t. He got his gun from his secure cabinet. Took the time to load it, and then shot people. It wasn’t a spur of the moment killing that could have been done with a knife. There was planning and premeditation here and the gun was the unique thing which allowed this double murder and I really don’t get why he needed it. If we had better laws then these two people would likely still be alive.

I'm sorry but this is arrant incoherent nonsense, on one hand you go on about how the male obviously planned the killing but this planning could not have been done with another weapon on means used?

Lets look shall we...

Man kill partner and kids with a hammer

with a knife

by burning them in a car

By gassing them with carbon monoxide

Kills family members by driving at them

Kills family members with a crossbow

Same sex couple kill the kids by driving of a cliff

The idea that someone can be so far gone so as to decide that they will kill close family members (and often their own children) but will be stopped because they cant get access to a firearm isn't credible

Last edited:
I'm sorry but this is arrant incoherent nonsense, on one hand you go on about how the male obviously planned the killing but this planning could not have been done with another weapon on means used?

Lets look shall we...

with a knife

by burning them in a car

The idea that someone can be so far gone so as to decide that they will kill close family members (and often their own children) but will be stopped because they cant get access to a firearm isn't credible

Pretty much, his post made no sense, it's some weird logic of how a gun can only be used when you plan a murder, but there's no actual logic behind that lol

Lets look shall we...

with a knife

by burning them in a car

Didn’t we just have a case where a husband killed his wife and kids and buried them underneath the kitchen floor?

Seems a bit crass lusting over your guns in a thread started because someone killed his wife and daughter.

Sure, he could have used a knife. But he didn’t. He got his gun from his secure cabinet. Took the time to load it, and then shot people. It wasn’t a spur of the moment killing that could have been done with a knife. There was planning and premeditation here and the gun was the unique thing which allowed this double murder and I really don’t get why he needed it. If we had better laws then these two people would likely still be alive.
Sure, he could have used a gun. But he didn’t. He got his knife from his cutlery draw. Took the time to sharpen it, and then knifed people. It wasn’t a spur of the moment killing that could have been done with a gun. There was planning and premeditation here and the knife was the unique thing which allowed this double murder and I really don’t get why he needed it. If we had better laws then these two people would likely still be alive.

Laws and punishments are not a deterrent to crime.

Last edited:
Pretty much, his post made no sense, it's some weird logic of how a gun can only be used when you plan a murder, but there's no actual logic behind that lol

It's silly... guns do seem to be a big problem for suicides in places like the US but the problem there is the lack of planning/ preparation needed to quickly do away with oneself with a gun not the planning needed!

People that kill family members tend to do it either quickly mid argument with whatevers to hand (unlikely to be a firearm) or in a rather pre meditated way.

Like Sally Challen... whose unfaithful husband went out one morning after a reconciliation in their relationship and she took a call from another mistress that tipped her over the edge.

She calmly prepared food for her husband when he returned. And when he sat down to eat it she bludgeoned him to death from behind with a hammer (she presumably had to go both retrieve and hide this in the kitchen) before she tried to kill herself by jumping of a local multi storey car park and then driving to some cliffs before she was talked down.

Last edited:
I think gun clubs should be the ones to store and keep safe all member's owned firearms. If gun clubs cannot afford to operate in terms of cost and/or space requirements to facilitate storage of all members guns, or cannot come up with a membership program which would help finance this, then gun clubs should close down and be gone with. Maybe people could rent more guns provided by the actual gun club rather than use their "own". I don't really care.

I don't have issues with farmers owning them for pest control if they are stored as they legally should be and are regularly subject to the checks we do in the UK. That's it though, farmers, who have regular reviews to show there is still a pest control requirement to own one. I can't think of anyone else that needs to own one on their own land.
I like the idea that farmers have the time to spend sitting in a hedgerow for an entire day blasting pigeons, crows and other birds, the farms we shoot over have multiple people with permissions at certain times of the year shooting most days out of the week to keep vermin at bay. We do this for free, providing our own ammunition and insurance.

These threads are always a laugh to read, townies who have no idea about the rest of the country but watched an episode of Countryfile and think they know enough to preach how others lives should be lived.

[URL

Is there a case for guns to remain accessible to civilians?
people in the country wildfouling is a plentiful source of affordable environmentally sound free-range meat (and a hobby which keeps people healthy and farmers happy)
it would not affect me if all shotguns were banned but i think you would have a mutiny from 1000s of law abiding country folk and farmers. (my dad would be leading the charge ;) )

way more so than say the handgun bans (handguns had no real legitimate practical use for the average punter imo).

also don't forget the business case, there is a lot of money in wildfouling esp at the sharp end -phasants and grouse etc, that would be a lot of livelyhoods up in smoke , not to mention it's an excuse to protect certain parts of the countryside from being spoilt ....

Last edited:
I like the idea that farmers have the time to spend sitting in a hedgerow for an entire day blasting pigeons, crows and other birds, the farms we shoot over have multiple people with permissions at certain times of the year shooting most days out of the week to keep vermin at bay. We do this for free, providing our own ammunition and insurance.

These threads are always a laugh to read, townies who have no idea about the rest of the country but watched an episode of Countryfile and think they know enough to preach how others lives should be lived.

I would say said townies are entitled to an opinion without knowing the ups and downs of a farmer. This is about who should have guns because they - ya know - can kill people.

Lets look shall we...

with a knife

by burning them in a car

Yes, others picked knives. I guess we need to ask why did this guy pick his gun? For me I’d say guns are a step away from the brutality of a knife or hammer. Perhaps it’s easier to kill with a gun than a knife. It’s easier, less likely to cause injury to him, and psychologically may be easier. I’m just suggesting if he had to get up close and personal it may have had a different ending.

Yes, others picked knives. I guess we need to ask why did this guy pick his gun? For me I’d say guns are a step away from the brutality of a knife or hammer. Perhaps it’s easier to kill with a gun than a knife. It’s easier, less likely to cause injury to him, and psychologically may be easier. I’m just suggesting if he had to get up close and personal it may have had a different ending.

At what point can we just accept a bad person committed a crime and we don't need additional laws?

A gun can be an "easier" option especially if someone had the mentality of not wanting their victims to suffer or worrying they might not be able to see it through with a method which was less decisive - but with these kind of lengths chances are very high it would have happened one way or another sooner or later.

My example was just to illustrate that, even in a heavily regulated sector, it's difficult to identify potentially harmful behaviour changes.

I don't have any objections to changing regulations about storage.

Point taken, but few domestic murders are committed using firearms, so there's little, if anything, to gain here. That's assuming these people wouldn't just go to a claw hammer instead.
Yeh, no I understood what you were trying to illustrate but your example just didn't work as it's based around the logic that once concerns are identified the suicide is prevented, which is flawed logic.

Yes, you can assume they would have killed them by any means, but you can also assume it was the presence of the firearm that also acted as an enabler in the lead up, we don't know.

people in the country wildfouling is a plentiful source of affordable environmentally sound free-range meat (and a hobby which keeps people healthy and farmers happy)
it would not affect me if all shotguns were banned but i think you would have a mutiny from 1000s of law abiding country folk and farmers. (my dad would be leading the charge ;) )

way more so than say the handgun bans (handguns had no real legitimate practical use for the average punter imo).

also don't forget the business case, there is a lot of money in wildfouling esp at the sharp end -phasants and grouse etc, that would be a lot of livelyhoods up in smoke , not to mention it's an excuse to protect certain parts of the countryside from being spoilt ....
Yes, but these could be replaced by a regulated service, where strict controls are in place around central storage, frequent vetting etc.

Isn't OP the guy who served time for getting a bit stabby? I'm being slightly hyperbolic there... but knives were involed.
Relevance? Or is this an 'attack their reputation' type thing :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom