Poll: UK Gun Laws

• Thread starter Thread starter NVP
  • Start date Start date

Should civilians have access to weapons?

• Yes - Current law is fine, no changes needed

• No - Only "Professional" users can be licensed

• No - Remove all guns from Civilians

• Yes - Current laws are too restrictive

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think you're confusing threads, that was in the pick-up thread :)

Doesn't matter - taking a LOL city folk position one moment, then showing a large detachment from the realities of country living on the other hand makes it hard to take you seriously.

Last edited:
While there is a part of me that reflexively thinks no-one should have guns, I know gun crime is fairly rare in the UK.

Our laws are, generally, sufficient to ensure publuc safety, while allowing people who want to own guns to do so.

Cases of people murdering their husbands, wives and children happen regularly, some of these involve guns. Unfortunately, this will always happen.

As an MP said in the debate on the 1996 firearms bill (following Dunblane); "you cannot legislate for the actions of a lunatic"

Doesn't matter - taking a LOL city folk position one moment, then showing a large detachment from the realities of country living on the other makes it hard to take you seriously.
Continue to avoid providing your reasoning then.

I think the idea could work, I'm yet to understand a reason which could not be overcome.

As an MP said in the debate on the 1996 firearms bill (following Dunblane); "you cannot legislate for the actions of a lunatic"
It's not simply legislation, but stricter regulation, more frequent and deeper vetting etc. can easily be facilitated.

Last edited:
Out of all of my friends who have firearms, I don't know any of them who have just the one cabinet. Normally ammunition compartments are very small and there's not enough space in them so you have to have more than one.

Actually when I said there's none in mine, that's not quite true. I have some shotgun cartridges in mine.

There is no legislation as to the secure storage of shotgun cartridges, you can keep them on your mantlepiece if you want!

Is there a limit on the amount of cartridges you can buy/own?

Is there a limit on the amount of cartridges you can buy/own?

No limits - but questions might be asked if you are holding an inordinate amount - though unless there is a suspicion of intent likely not much come of it.

For bullets a bit of a different situation as you may have limits imposed. (EDIT: You can also have the limits increased if you have a genuine need).

Last edited:
From a classical Liberal perspective OP is asking the wrong questions, it's never "Is there a legitimate reason to permit something?", it's "is there a legitimate reason to prohibit something? ". I can't see a legitimate reason to ban all firearms, he could have done the same thing with a crossbow or knife anyway, it's a domestic killing, not a mass shooting.

Last edited:
American is on the right lines with regard gun laws. We have it wrong.

If an intruder enters my home armed with a gun, how am I supposed to defend myself?

If our government turns tyrannical, how is the population supposed to fight against the oppression?

Government already is tyrannical.

War on drugs which has killed tens of thousands, led to fentanyl becoming popular and AIDS and hepatitis C spreading widerife, the death toll is more than hiroshima, it's like they've dropped a nuclear bomb on the population.

No limits - but questions might be asked if you are holding an inordinate amount - though unless there is a suspicion of intent likely not much come of it.

For bullets a bit of a different situation as you may have limits imposed. (EDIT: You can also have the limits increased if you have a genuine need).
That’s also mad to me. Should absolutely be a strict limit. I appreciate there hasn’t really been many mass shootings (fatal or not) but someone having hundreds of shells at home doesn’t seem wise to me.
How much is a shotgun shell?

They don't though. Zoom meetings for business, holidays at home. Simple. Terrible for the planet too. Ban them :mad:

I say we ban all baseball bats, a club was designed for murdering someone violently, even one person clubbed to death is too much. Screw anyone who enjoys it as a sport.

It's not simply legislation, but stricter regulation, more frequent and deeper vetting etc. can easily be facilitated.

It's really difficult to risk assess people, and to make that regular enough to pick up changes.

For example, Mental Health teams (of all sorts) do not prevent their service users committing homicide/ suicide, even when they are working well and having regular contact.

I'm not against better risk assessment, but it is difficult, and not foolproof.

It is not an easy fix.

That’s also mad to me. Should absolutely be a strict limit. I appreciate there hasn’t really been many mass shootings (fatal or not) but someone having hundreds of shells at home doesn’t seem wise to me.
How much is a shotgun shell?

Sometimes seems crazy to me, though I can kind of understand the prepper mentality LOL. Farmers I know often have .24x rifles with 200 odd rounds in storage and use maybe half a dozen rounds a year...

Is it though? You're comparing completely different things. Have another think then get back to me.
Is it not your concern about the related deaths?

If you compare the deaths from guns and the deaths from legal drugs, one is more lethal than the other so it's a reasonable comparison due to lethality.

It's really difficult to risk assess people, and to make that regular enough to pick up changes.

For example, Mental Health teams (of all sorts) do not prevent their service users committing homicide/ suicide, even when they are working well and having regular contact.

I'm not against better risk assessment, but it is difficult, and not foolproof.

It is not an easy fix.
Yes, it is tricky, however more opportunities to identify risk is always better.

Your example about suicide doesn't quite fit, though.

The benefit of regulating guns under professional services would mean that most would be stored in their local secure location, taking away the instant access.

A lot mention the perpetrator could utilise other means, they may well do, but non are as cold or quick as firing a gun.

Is it not your concern about the related deaths?

If you compare the deaths from guns and the deaths from legal drugs, one is more lethal than the other so it's a reasonable comparison due to lethality.
He only mentioned alcohol and tobacco, neither of which are instant killers.

Incidentally, it is most likely (but by no means certain) that he killed his wife because she decided to leave him. The daughter had to go too because she would have been left with no one. In an anguished mind that is worse than death. But it goes to show that instability in the mind can happen pretty quickly. An otherwise stable person can become a dangerous nutcase almost overnight.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom