Poll: UK Gun Laws

Should civilians have access to weapons?

• Yes - Current law is fine, no changes needed

• No - Only "Professional" users can be licensed

• No - Remove all guns from Civilians

• Yes - Current laws are too restrictive

Results are only viewable after voting.
Soldato
I think pepper / OC sprays and tasers should be legalised. They're a useful tool to combat knife crime.

That would cause problems, we start from a base line in this country that one is not allowed to carry anything thats specifically for self defense, and that in return means that to a reasonble extent, the violence which criminals plan to use is somewhat limited, if people were allowed to carry such things for self defence then it rises escalating things in an upwards direction, we do not want to tend towards the direction of the united states in any way....

My point was that if most serious voilent criminals that are prepared to use weapons would get half the sentance if they were caught with these to do it, than actual firearms then things generally end in a much less nasty way

Ob course, there is always going to get grey areas like security guards with their maglite torchs with the 4D cell batteries, but they have a genuine use (Though I shouldn't imagine they still make them now LED tech has been refined), and in the worst situations one can probably find a handy fire extinguisher or narwhal tusk

Last edited:
Soldato
I think pepper / OC sprays and tasers should be legalised. They're a useful tool to combat knife crime.

Thid is literally the dumbest comment. Muggings would sky rocket as thugs would pepper spray or stun their victims with no chance of them fighting back and no risk. At least now the mugger has to risk the person fighting back or they have to carry a knife and be prepared to use it and many dont have the stomach for that. People would be getting stunned or pepper sprayed in the streets for ***** and giggles, it would be chaos.

Soldato
In addition I think things like pepper spray and stun guns are classed as section 5 firearms? (correct me if wrong) which just seems OTT, yes they should be banned still but they should not be classed in the same way as much more lethal equipment is they should be considered the same level as someone swiging a baseball bat around, or having a set of knuckle dusters

Not exactly, they're legislated for under the Firearms Act but they're not referred to as firearms: "any weapon of whatever description designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other thing".

Soldato
Thid is literally the dumbest comment. Muggings would sky rocket as thugs would pepper spray or stun their victims with no chance of them fighting back and no risk. At least now the mugger has to risk the person fighting back or they have to carry a knife and be prepared to use it and many dont have the stomach for that. People would be getting stunned or pepper sprayed in the streets for ***** and giggles, it would be chaos.

I kept my comment short deliberately but I was not thinking that they would just be legalised on a blanket basis with no controls in place. I would expect, in the unlikely event that they were introduced in the UK, that people with a criminal record would be barred from possessing them, maybe sign off from a doctor required (psychological and physical reasons) and that new laws around their use would be introduced to stop the "for a laugh" activities that you suggest.

Second, using a weapon of any kind in the UK tends to increase the severity of sentence you will receive if convicted. That's why I don't think the "chaos" you suggest would be remotely likely.

People in the UK also don't seem to like weapons in general, so do I think a majority of people or even a significant number would take up the option if it was available? No, I don't. So I don't think they would be widespread.

But of course, I'm just a big dumb dumb.

Soldato
personally I think the UK is potentially at a bit of a crisis point. I DONT think handguns and what not should be legalised however we are at a point now where in some places police responsive times are so long that people have no practical protection from crime.

I am all for the police policing and people not taking matters isn't their own hands, but that all falls apart when the police either can't or won't protect a law abiding person......

Not saying I have the answer but when local scallies vandalised my car and I phoned the police, I told them exactly who did it and also that there was a bordering on textbook fingerprint on the spoiler that one had snapped off.

the police would not even send a Bobby out and I was told off the record.they already knew who it was but it was not worth their time as they were 17.
when I suggested if it happened again then I would introduce them to my baseball bat they were not happy at all. imo they were well deserving of some pepper spray!
this was a minor crime but the attitude is the same for burglaries. IF the police won't protect us then it's only natural for us to want to protect ourselves.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I wouldn't say it was that bad but I had one recently where even the call handler said it warranted an immediate response - 14 hours later police turned up. (This was a situation wih an actual danger to life risk).

Last edited:
Soldato
I kept my comment short deliberately but I was not thinking that they would just be legalised on a blanket basis with no controls in place. I would expect, in the unlikely event that they were introduced in the UK, that people with a criminal record would be barred from possessing them, maybe sign off from a doctor required (psychological and physical reasons) and that new laws around their use would be introduced to stop the "for a laugh" activities that you suggest.

Second, using a weapon of any kind in the UK tends to increase the severity of sentence you will receive if convicted. That's why I don't think the "chaos" you suggest would be remotely likely.

People in the UK also don't seem to like weapons in general, so do I think a majority of people or even a significant number would take up the option if it was available? No, I don't. So I don't think they would be widespread.

But of course, I'm just a big dumb dumb.
Kinda comical that 3 of the criterea you list for owning a taser or pepper spray already exists for firearms ownership

Soldato
I'm no stranger to firearms but I'd support a complete ban of all of them, apart from for the military and the police.

It would do a much better job stopping them from falling into the wrong hands.

By the wrong hands you mean the hands of those that kill others while having a legal gun rather than them getting stolen?

I think the worst thing about legal gun owners that kill people are they always seem to take a woman a child and sometimes their animals as well. So often a few victims.

Last edited:
Soldato
personally I think the UK is potentially at a bit of a crisis point. I DONT think handguns and what not should be legalised however we are at a point now where in some places police responsive times are so long that people have no practical protection from crime.

Most people, in most instances, have zero chance of a police response in time to prevent an assault. "There's never a policeman about when you need one", as the saying goes.

To be fair to the police, that's because crims aren't likely to whack you when they can see a cop nearby.

That's not a good reason for allowing Joe public to carry a weapon- it's just reality.

It would be interesting to see how many posters have experienced a violent situation in the last few years, or whether this is driven by perception of risk.

Soldato
Most people, in most instances, have zero chance of a police response in time to prevent an assault. "There's never a policeman about when you need one", as the saying goes.

To be fair to the police, that's because crims aren't likely to whack you when they can see a cop nearby.

That's not a good reason for allowing Joe public to carry a weapon- it's just reality.

It would be interesting to see how many posters have experienced a violent situation in the last few years, or whether this is driven by perception of risk.
true enough but my issue is my lack of faith that the police even have the resources to TRY to catch them,.and even if they do, barely anything seems to happen. so sure maybe the police can't catch a thief red-handed... but if there was a good chance they would catch them after the fact it would be a disincentive for them.
with that not in place then I don't think the risk of pepper spray is.overkill myself

(and my source.for that is what happened when I was a victim of crime and I told the police who did it, but they didn't even investigate)

Last edited:
Soldato
Just had my lesson at Bisley today. It was good to learn from an instructor rather than a mate+YT. Unfortunately that mate has run off with a woman from the gym, so that ability to go down and shoot by borrowing his gun is probably long gone.

It's fun because the instructor put wife and myself as a competition at the end, best of 10 shots. I hit 8 hits out of 10 shots. Not bad considering I'm a novice (I've shot a couple of times but I mostly miss and my seating of the gun sucked hence having a random variable for hitting the clays)

I support gun control, although sensitive to them being used in sport and farming, but I do agree they need control. The US shows what happens when you put lax laws in for guns

Last edited:
Soldato
true enough but my issue is my lack of faith that the police even have the resources to TRY to catch them,.and even if they do, barely anything seems to happen. so sure maybe the police can't catch a thief red-handed... but if there was a good chance they would catch them after the fact it would be a disincentive for them.
with that not in place then I don't think the risk of pepper spray is.overkill myself

(and my source.for that is what happened when I was a victim of crime and I told the police who did it, but they didn't even investigate)

Police resourcing is a separate, but linked, issue.

I expect that the police publish statistics on reported crime (by type?) and outcomes somewhere.

Associate

I am all for the police policing and people not taking matters isn't their own hands, but that all falls apart when the police either can't or won't protect a law abiding person......

Not saying I have the answer but when local scallies vandalised my car and I phoned the police, I told them exactly who did it and also that there was a bordering on textbook fingerprint on the spoiler that one had snapped off.

the police would not even send a Bobby out and I was told off the record.they already knew who it was but it was not worth their time as they were 17.

I've been through the same thing. I used to live in a run-down town in the North-East about 30 miles from Newcastle-upon-Tyne. There was a local gang of teenagers there who made life miserable for the residents, especially the elderly people who were afraid to go out at night. I was working at a start-up Biotechnology company which had recently set up there because of the relative cheapness of land on the (mostly empty) local industrial estate. The gang there used to always be at least 8 strong. One night I was coming out into the car park (we worked long hours due to new product development deadlines) and I saw someone hitting my car with something that looked like a tree branch. I shouted "what the **** do you think you're doing?" and the next thing I know this teenage scumbag was walking towards me with a 3 foot long scaffolding pole shouting that he was going to smash my head in. He then started hitting a lamp post with it in an attempt to intimidate me (while his friends were cheering him on). At that point I started the audio recorder on my phone. I stood my ground and told him that if he hit me with that I would make him regret it. He came up to me within a distance of about a metre and verbally abused me for a couple of minutes before turning round and walking away. His parting shot was: "if we find out where you live we'll break all your ******* windows".

I later rang the Police and was told to go to the nearest open Police Station (which was over 10 miles away) to make a statement. (There was a Police Station in this town but it had recently been closed to the public, but there were a couple of Policeman based there.) I gave them the audio recording I made and after listening to it the Policeman warned me that if I went ahead with a complaint then I could be prosecuted for using the F-word in a public place! (Was he just using this as a means to get out of doing the paperwork for a minor crime?) He then asked me what I meant when I said I'd make the thug 'regret it'. (I said I meant that I'd make sure he was prosecuted for assault.) I still went ahead with the complaint. Later on I got a call from a local Police Sergeant who said this thug was 16 and already had 23 criminal convictions, mostly for shop-lifting but also for assault. He would not go into any more specific details about his offences. He then said that his colleague was out-of-line about me being prosecuted for using the F-word in that scenario.

Apparently, that gang was responsible for most of the theft, vandalism and assaults in the area, but its leader had never spent a day in a Young Offenders Detention Centre. He said that we wouldn't be able to prosecute him for this because it was my word against his and his friends would back him up and since I only had an audio recording they could say he was just kicking something rather than carrying a weapon. I had some more trouble with him later but just verbal abuse so I didn't need to fight him. A few months later I read in the local paper that this thug had just been convicted of setting fire to someone's hedge and threatening a woman who had witnessed him doing it (she also took pictures of it). He got a suspended custodial sentence for that. Apparently, his older brother was even worse than him, but when he turned 18 he packed it all in because he knew that all the offences he committed before 18 would be wiped off his record but not afterwards.

I suggested if it happened again then I would introduce them to my baseball bat they were not happy at all. imo they were well deserving of some pepper spray!
this was a minor crime but the attitude is the same for burglaries. IF the police won't protect us then it's only natural for us to want to protect ourselves.

Yes, the Police will prosecute a respectable adult for taking the law into his own hands against juvenile delinquents and the ratbags know exactly how to play the system. A friend of one of my colleagues did exactly that recently. He was sitting in his living room and saw some local teenage thug run up and rip off the plastic downpipe from his roof guttering. He ran out and grabbed him (Citizens' Arrest Powers) then called the Police and held him until they arrived. However, the thug's parents (notorious scumbags themselves) subsequently claimed that their son was physically assaulted by him and he was prosecuted and convicted for it! (This man had no previous criminal record and a responsible full-time career.) If he had CCTV up and he had held the boy in front of it then he could have proved he did not assault him, but unfortunately, he didn't. :mad:

Soldato
yep the system is broken in this country. OTOH i don't want to be like the states either with people having guns... but I want the police and the justice system to actually be a deterrent against criminals - even minor ones (because a minor criminal today could be a major one tomorrow if not nipped in the bud).

to me now it seems the law protects scallies, not punishing them to make them think twice about committing a crime again.

maybe a 3 strike system has something going for it

Associate
christ ... the level of out right dishonesty and twisting of the truth in this thread is ridiculous.
stop being a prat, not only did I not say that, you have to be a few raisins short of a fruit loaf to even interpret that as what I said.

Also it's not that I am "in favour" of guns either really (I don't have one) but I have grown up with them and am not ignorant enough to not be able to see their legal utility.

but just to spell it out to you in easy to read words that maybe you can understand.

I don't agree with shooting people with guns
I don't agree with drink driving.

I would not expect a person who was a victim of gun crime to be objective about guns any more than I would expect a victim of a drunk driver to be necessarily objective about alcohol.

I think that shotguns have a genuine use case and that it is ok for people who can prove to be of sound mind and legally clean to be able to own them for said legal use cases.

clearly in the case here the system failed. that is really sad but it's also incredibly rare.
i just rehashed what you said, maybe i misinterpreted it, sometimes that can be easy to do over the internet don't you think? but dishonesty not sure you are referring to me but not sure how ive been dishonest in the 3 posts or so, in any case how would you know if im being dishonest or not?

im not a victim of guncrime, however ive seen people be victims of gun crime and the devasting impacts it can have.

i would not expect a person who hasnt seen those impacts or just simply just doesnt care to not want civis to have guns. each to there own but if you have laws for some and not the other, people will find a way to abuse the law its really that simple.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think we should be able to have defensive weapons, like the pepper spray and similar.
UK Police were only issued with pepper spray around 2001 and look how powerless they still are against a powerful grown man. The chances of a civilian being allowed anything to protect themselves anytime soon is pretty much zero, the government doesn't want the general public defending itself.

Back
Top Bottom