Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
*WSJ Reporter Tweets: The Biden Administration Is Expected to Announce Sanctions Against Alfa Bank, One of Russia’s Largest Private Lenders, As Early As Wednesday.
https://twitter.com/vmsalama/status/1511498395877269506 :

NEW: As soon as Wednesday, the Biden administration will announce sanctions on:
- Sberbank, Russia’s largest bank (furthering sanctions imposed last week)
- Alfa Bank, one of Russia’s largest private lenders
- Vladimir Putin’s two daughters (EU also considering this move)

Last edited:
Soldato
*In Response to Russian Atrocities, New Zealand Will Impose a 35% Tariff on All Imports From Russia.
*Moodys: The Crisis in Russia and Ukraine, As Well As the Ongoing Pandemic, Will Delay Supply-Side Recovery, Exposing All Apac Corporate Sectors to Cost Risks.

*Intel: Effective Immediately, Co Have Suspended All Business Operations in Russia
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/newsroom/news/russia-business-statement.html

Soldato
— Bloomberg (CET Time)

*U.S. to Send More Military Aid

z044pIb.png
*Intel Suspends Business Operations in Russia

YpQLOOl.png

-

'Latest Defence Intelligence update on the situation in Ukraine - 6 April 2022'

FPomzMVXMAEDpZ2

https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1511563287057551368

Soldato
Are there any essentially disposable USV's that could carry 2-4 Harpoons to 100-200 miles?

You'd think such a thing would exist, but maybe it's not feasible.

Edit: Additional thought which is a bit insane, but if such a vehicle exists and could carry it... perhaps loading a captured fully loaded TOS-1A rocket pod onto one would allow them to kindly return it to the Russian navy at Sevastopol.

Small submersible USV with launch tubes at 45 deg could easily carry them and have a warhead itself. Harpoons are big - each weigh 225kg. The Turkish drone has a payload of 150kg. Drone missiles/ordinance tends to be in the 10-50kg range. Tor example, the Turksh ordinance is about10kg range, Brimstone is 50Kg. Brimstone's creators have a anti-ship variant "Spear" with is <100kg.
Same drone could have a pair of torpedoes strapped to the outside, even using the torpedoes as the ballast for launching the missile launch, then when missiles are depleated the torpedoes are released and then finally the drone can go kamikaze.

The main issue is not the the launch but the systems for targeting. Unless you make a remote targeting system for drones that simply relays the targeting back to the ship. The neat thing a boat doesn't travel that fast compared to communications.

I suspect the days of submarines are numbered too. Underwater autonomous hunter UAVs with batteries of small torpedoes surfing the water without propulsion like a Manta ray would prove difficult for subs. The only issue is that man-in-the-loop firing requires communications and that's difficult for autonomous UAVs at depth.

Soldato
— Bloomberg (CET Time)

*Oil Pares Declines as EU Avoids Sanctions

CGrXjkZ.png
*China Envoy Calls Violence ‘Disturbing’

dPc7Fji.png
*EU Diplomat Says Xi Summit a ‘Deaf Dialog’

tdsY7Iq.png
*Russia to Face New U.S., EU, G-7 Sanctions

lBUNtz7.png
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...voy-calls-violence-in-bucha-deeply-disturbing
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...at-calls-summit-with-china-s-xi-a-deaf-dialog
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...e-new-sanctions-on-russia-hitting-investments

SPG

SPG

Soldato
The country has been set back 10 years minimum from a fiscal sense if not more. What is more damaging is the rest of the worlds view on the Russian people. They will all be painted with the same brush now on mass & rightly so tbh.

Soldato
The country has been set back 10 years minimum from a fiscal sense if not more. What is more damaging is the rest of the worlds view on the Russian people. They will all be painted with the same brush now on mass & rightly so tbh.

Does this mean I shouldn't swipe right now on Russian girls on Tinder?

Incidentally, I've noticed a big increase of those listing Ukrainian as one of their languages now.

I also saw that Wimbledon is consulting with the Government about what to d with Russian players. The headlines read as if they could be banned from the tournament. https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/61003824

I'm not sure how that is helpful to anyone, given that most won't actually live in Russia and haven't for many years, and don't support the war.

Soldato
What is more damaging is the rest of the worlds view on the Russian people. They will all be painted with the same brush now on mass & rightly so tbh.

I think many people have had a jaundiced view of the Russian hierarchy based on distrust since the USSR was in being and since. Only Mikhail Gorbachev broke the mould but when he was deposed in favour of Yeltsin, a drunk, who was then deposed in favour of Putin, a cold war warrior was the die reset in favour of the bad old days.

Still they may be leaner and fitter without all the western fast foods and excess consumption. If they stay off the vodka.

Caporegime
I’m on a two hour bus journey with nothing to do. All the time in the world to utilise the hammer if you don’t stay on topic.

:cry: love it.

And on topic as weird as this sounds, with the amount of aid that's due to pour in to Ukraine could this not be an opportunity for them to become a leading green economy when they rebuild?

Soldato
— Bloomberg (CET Time)

*Russian Car Sales Collapse Amid Supply, Price Shocks

pBBWrWP.png
*Ukraine Says Russia Hits Agricultural, Economic Targets

jVEUL11.png
*Hungary Unhappy With Ukraine’s Reaction to Orban Win

HTwsUrP.png
*Dutch Probing Ownership of 12 Yachts Under Construction

MxRdowb.png
*EU May Need to Sanction Russian Oil, Gas, Michel Says

G8CyAH9.png

*Head of Ukraine’s Gas Transit Operator: The Country’s War-Related Losses Total Hundreds of Millions of Euros.
*Head of Gas Transit Operator: Three Main Gas Pipelines Were Damaged During the Battle According to the Head of a Gas Transit Operator, and Two Gas Distribution Stations Were Destroyed.

Soldato

And on topic as weird as this sounds, with the amount of aid that's due to pour in to Ukraine could this not be an opportunity for them to become a leading green economy when they rebuild?

The whole conflict would be an excellent reason for Europe to invest in nuclear and a long-term renewable strategy.

Unfortunately what is likely to happen is that the short-sighted political classes are just going to revert back to dragging as much fossil fuel out of the ground as possible and keep kicking the can down the road.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Does this mean I shouldn't swipe right now on Russian girls on Tinder?

Incidentally, I've noticed a big increase of those listing Ukrainian as one of their languages now.

I also saw that Wimbledon is consulting with the Government about what to d with Russian players. The headlines read as if they could be banned from the tournament. https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/61003824

I'm not sure how that is helpful to anyone, given that most won't actually live in Russia and haven't for many years, and don't support the war.

Sport is a interesting one, The only option I see viable is they the sport person in question applies to their current country of residence for citizenship effectively putting the money where you mouth is and having yourself listed on a Putin esque poison death squad list or staying "Russian and giving up your professional career. Very simple and very clean.

Soldato
Watching the Colbert segment today on Ukraine, turns out the 40 mile convoy was taken care of by merely civilians who were hobbyist drone and machinists, so they used those drones and dirt buggies to help ambush the convoy during the nights. Madlads.

They weren't civilians, they are an actual unit of the Ukraine armed forces, but they did self fund a lot of their drones etc and rigged them to drop AT grenades themselves. (The unit itself was nearly disbanded by Ukraine but they were kept on basically at the last minute when Russia started being a bit more threatening).

Soldato
— Bloomberg (CET Time)

*EU Sanctions Should Be Stronger, Lithuania Says

Tv1yq9f.png
*Yellen to Warn of ‘Enormous’ Economic Effects From War

CaCnaxd.png
*EU Mulls Sanctions on Deripaska, Gref, Kerimov

3EGPgPK.png

*Russia: European Countries Causing Trouble for Russian Diplomats Are Shooting Themselves in the Foot — TASS

Soldato

Russia want Donbas because it has fossil fuels, so it seems unlikely Ukraine won't exploit them to help rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom