Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
It's interesting to consider. Russia play the nuclear card quite vocally despite being the aggressor. They will play it when they invade Poland, they'll play it when the invade the Baltics, what about Germany?

If the West de-escalate in the face of Russian aggression surely that invites further aggression against neighbouring states. Much better to act decisively and early I think whilst the conflict is contained.

I don't know a better way to tackle Russians well established brinkmanship tactic.

Well that's the problem with the nuclear 'deterrent', when one side says it's going to use it as an offensive weapon it then becomes a liability for everyone. Russia itself needs to be dismantled and its governance restored to the Russian people rather than the gang of thugs that currently run it. We should be doing more to get information to the Russian people about the reality of the situation than we are doing.

Caporegime
As others have said, Russia have no choice but to ramp up the nuclear weapon stuff now because it is all they have left on the world stage.

Their conventional army has shown to be a complete joke, their economy is in tatters, and their leader is clearly quite ill/going slightly mad.

If it wasn't for the threat of nuclear weapons their military would be utterly destroyed/neutered by NATO.

Soldato
That said IMO we are skating close to territory where not rebooting the civil defence program is irresponsible.

I completely agree, if anything this should act as a wake up call.

I hope to hell our goverment are doing a whole load of stuff in the background.

But looking at the state of our goverment, I dunno....................

Soldato
If the West de-escalate in the face of Russian aggression surely that invites further aggression against neighbouring states. Much better to act decisively and early I think whilst the conflict is contained.

I don't think you can act decisively without invoking WWIII, if NATO forces get involved in the actual fighting on Ukrainian territory en masse in a conventional theatre of war, we go directly to WWIII.

If we do some half measures, like try to impose a no-fly zone - that also leads to WWIII because it would involve NATO jets and SEAD missions (getting rid of all the S400s), which would equal a huge escalation and also result in WWIII.

We can't really threaten to "nuke" Russia, because NATO nuclear power is all based around defence rather than offence.

I just think the only way NATO can really win in this, is to supply Ukraine with everything and let them do the fighting, along with harsh sanctions - I don't think we can do that much more, not without risking WWIII.

Soldato
*Kremlin Spokesman: President Putin Clearly Said Civilians Can Leave Azovstal Plant, Defenders Must Lay Down Arms, and Says This Is Not a Topic for Negotiations — TASS

Soldato

More focused Russian equivalent of The One Show discussing nuking UK

At least one commenter is level headed to mention that nobody wins a nuclear war but he's countered with "it'll be a clean slate" :cry:

While I think they genuinely believe what they're saying, it's really just a glorified psy op to scare us and it benefits Russia if we're all scared

They just can't fathom that there won't be a ******* slate left for them to clean.

Soldato
We have good visibility as to the disposition of their nuclear forces so in theory will know in good time if they change to a posture the use of it might be a reality - even though in theory it can be used at any time.

That said IMO we are skating close to territory where not rebooting the civil defence program is irresponsible.

I agree, but this country is scared enough of things already. My 6 year old is being taught about the war in Ukraine at school, understands that we need to help them.

Man of Honour
I agree, but this country is scared enough of things already. My 6 year old is being taught about the war in Ukraine at school, understands that we need to help them.

Unfortunately that is the reality of war. As I mentioned a few posts back I was a bit shocked when my nephew (just a kid) came out with "we just need to shoot Putin in the head".

We seem to have sleep walked into a grim reality.

Is it possible to intercept and stop a nuclear missile ? Like detonating it in the air?

In theory yes - in practise in a full on nuclear exchange it won't make much difference - even the US doesn't have the capacity to stop more than a fraction of the missiles getting through - even assuming Russia's actually viable arsenal was significantly smaller than on paper.

That said we still need to beef up our anti-air defences IMO - we might have reason to need it against a more limited exchange and it is an area in general we are lacking with only the Type 45s really providing a significant air-defence rather than point defence capability.

Last edited:
Soldato
It must be nice to be so sure of the outcome given the extreme price we would pay for you being wrong. Your analogy isn't really relevant though considering Americas relative safety from the German Army, not like the United Kingdom and Russia - they actually present a very real existential threat to the UK. Perhaps one day you could branch your analogies out a bit and not use Nazi Germany.

Its perfectly relevant because Russia isn't starting a nuclear war. MAD is the same today as it was through the whole of the cold war. You seem to scare easily from Putin's empty threats.

You might want to throw Ukraine under the bus, fortunately those in charge of Ukraine's allies have bigger balls and I include the female heads of state in that. They know you either stand up to bullies or you keep getting bullied.

Soldato

More focused Russian equivalent of The One Show discussing nuking UK

At least one commenter is level headed to mention that nobody wins a nuclear war but he's countered with "it'll be a clean slate" :cry:

While I think they genuinely believe what they're saying, it's really just a glorified psy op to scare us and it benefits Russia if we're all scared

They are pretty much actors. None of them truly believe that nonsense because they know they and their families will die when Moscow is turned to a nuclear wasteland. Their audience is sat in the Kremlin and if they want to keep their jobs and status they spout what they are told. They have as much credibility as this guy

bagdad-bob.gif

Soldato
How comes these cruise missiles keep getting through I thought Kyiv anti air defences had been beefed up?
I'd hazard a guess that its partly they cant swat every fly, and partly comes down to a strategic descision not to waste valuable Anti Air resourses on relatively cheap cruise missiles that on the grand scheme arnt really hampering the war effort. I would think they are keeping them for important air targets, also you have to think that every time the fire an anti air missile they are unmasking the location of a very high value target for Russia.

Soldato
The invention of nuclear weapons is a stain on the human race. What kind of sick species wants to invent a way of wiping out all of their own kind?
In terms of death, nuclear weapons are pretty tame compared to some of the ways ours ancenstors enjoyed killing each other

Daji was best known for her invention of a method of torture known as the Bronze Toaster (炮烙).[7] This is described as a bronze cylinder covered with oil heated like a furnace with charcoal beneath until its sides were extremely hot. The victim was forced to walk on top of the slowly heating cylinder, and he was forced to shift his feet in order to not burn. The oily surface made it difficult for the victim to maintain their balance, and if the victim fell into the charcoal below, they would be burnt to death.

Then there's the Brazen bull, being hung drawn and quartered, burned at stake, drowned, wars which involved the participants hacking each other to death with swords & axes or having boiling oil poured over you while you try to storm a castle.

And in todays world you've got the stuff that goes on in the Middle East with tortuous deaths and of course the grandmasters of death, the Mexican Cartels, so I can think of much worse ways we could all die than nuclear weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom