Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh i guess i was just expecting them to hit Ukraine harder and faster from the get go.

It appears to me that they thought they could just saunter in, with little resistance.
I think we were all expecting something like the Gulf wars air campaigns and with similar effect - hasn't been anything close though.

'BRAEAKING.... discussions.....possibility' what a load of jibberish, that could have been one junior minister making a passing comment to a colleague discussing what they would like to see in an ideal scenario rather then top level policy making.

That Twitter has gone very downhill, I wonder who runs it?

*actually nvm I thought it was the other somewhat more sensible account (though still a bit sensationalist).

Last edited:
Thats what happened in 2014, but since then Ukraine voted out their corrupt old Government and brought in Zelensky who has overhauled their country.

Ukraine isn't the weak pushover it was 8 years ago.

I think Putin and Russia vastly underestimated how much of a challenge it would be.
This is what happens when you are **** as KGB and surround yourself with "yes" men. Loads of cash went through and folk were willing to take/get monies for positive reports.
They stopped in Georgia not because they wanted to, but because they could not move further in to reach Tbilisi. Their army did not improve since the soviet union collapsed. It was ****, it is **** and will always be ****.

It's a historical thing.

Basically South Africa was a British colony until the mid 1800s when it became independent, however this independence was simply a transition from being ruled by white folk in Europe to being ruled by white folk in Africa. As a result for most of the 20th century South Africa was governed by a white minority government (apartheid) who treated the majority black population like ****. Because the apartheid government was a nuclear power friendly with the UK and other western nations it was allied with (but not part of) NATO during the cold war, as a result the USSR was friendly towards the anti-apartheid groups like the ANC.

As the cold war was ending and the USSR collapsing western governments changed their stance on Apartheid but it was itself dying anyway at that point and ended soon after the USSR. As a result western nations tried to buddy up to South Africa, but the ANC remembered who was helping them under the table (Russia) and who was saying Mandela should be executed as a terrorist (western politicians). As a result they haven't been afraid to strengthern ties with Russia (and China).

People seem to forget that the ANC were ideologically aligned with communism; Russia (+Eastern block), China, Cuba, other Africa peoples liberation groups, North Korea even. There was a reason for this pattern. I'm sure some of the same contacts those ANC folks worked with are still in senior roles in the Russian state.

I don't see how it would possible. F-22 is an air superiority fighter, it's an extremely expensive bit of kit in and of itself, expensive to maintain of which it would need Americans to do directly, There are only 180 made and illegal to export for selling.

The F-35 is would be more appropriate, a versatile multi-role fighter but again very expensive needs maintaining. F-16 has been around for decades, exported to countless countries, cheap, well understood, send a **** load of them.

It's not just illegal to export the F22, but even when the F22 is flown to other NATO/Ally countries to participate in exercises the Americans don't let anyone come near their F22s. A while back they sent F22's to Australia and they wouldn't let the Aussie pilots get anywhere near it even just to have a look.

Last edited:
I don't see how it would possible. F-22 is an air superiority fighter, it's an extremely expensive bit of kit in and of itself, expensive to maintain of which it would need Americans to do directly, There are only 180 made and illegal to export for selling.

The F-35 is would be more appropriate, a versatile multi-role fighter but again very expensive needs maintaining. F-16 has been around for decades, exported to countless countries, cheap, well understood, send a **** load of them.
They wouldn't want to send anything that might end up in the wrong hands so they would never send the F-22 or F-35.

I honestly think the best plane that would help Ukraine if they were operating in areas were the threat of SAM or MANPADS were lower would be the retired A10, because A it would scare the hell out of Russian troops in any area it was operating as that cannon it has is nuts. B it would bust up any Russian armor it targeted and C it's probably one of the most armoured and durable aircraft the US have made to date.

Last edited:
It's not just illegal to export the F22, but even when the F22 is flown to other NATO/Ally countries to participate in exercises the Americans don't let anyone come near their F22s. A while back they sent F22's to Australia and they wouldn't let the Aussie pilots get anywhere near it even just to have a look.
RAF pilots have flown F-22's.

Someone mentioned the A-10's are retired, I hadnt realised that, but yup they would be the perfect aircraft for Ukraine, A-10's and maybe Apache's.

It's going to take a while to train/convert Ukranian pilots to anything though, looks like this horrible war is going to drag on years, what a mess :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom