Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
With admittedly a lack of knowledge on such things, is the power plant seriously at risk here?
The station has an isolated reservoirs for cooling and spent fuel.
Only two (out of 6?) reactors are currently active, so it is not heating water much at this point.

The river is still next to it, albeit lower level, so if necessary reservoir could be topped up with pumps.

A PWR still needs to dissipate the decay heat of the reactor which can be 7-12% of the full load heat production. So 500MW unit at 40% efficiency is 1250MW thermal. Say 10% decay heat 125MW of decay heat you have to get rid of. That's a lot.

The power station in question is 960MWe so 2,400MW thermal at 7% 168MW thermal even when it's turned off.

So you need a lot of cooling a couple of tonnes of water per second at a guess. Fukushima meltdown was caused by decay heat, the reactor actually shut off safely before the tsumani arrived.

But it does have a large cooling pond and cooling towers so I imagine there is plenty of thermal capacity for cooling post shutdown.

Last edited:
Really shows what Russia actually thinks about the supposedly annexed territories on the East of the Dnipro. The worst of the flooding is in regions that Russia claims are part of their own country.

Standard Russian logic of "We can't have it then we will destroy everything".

Last edited:
I do wonder whether the dam was booby trapped and it either went off on its own or UA were trying to cross and it went off.

Just seems an odd thing to do as there doesn't seem to be an obvious strategic advantage for either side.

Yes, booby trap enemy infrastructure for the Lols, but set it off on purpose? /shrug.

I do wonder whether the dam was booby trapped and it either went off on its own or UA were trying to cross and it went off.

Just seems an odd thing to do as there doesn't seem to be an obvious strategic advantage for either side.

Yes, booby trap enemy infrastructure for the Lols, but set it off on purpose? /shrug.

If the increasing rumours that the counter offensive has started are true, then flooding the river as a barrier is strategic

It will make Ukraines counter offensive much harder.

Yeah agree with sentiments on making it harder for Ukraine, it just reduced the front line considerably.
Also it likely means Ukraine will put in effort to help the civvies, Russia will just go lol, anyway...

The mines thing is interesting, I am sure many will self destruct from being tumbled in the river, but it also means they could end up as unexploded in some strange places :(

If the increasing rumours that the counter offensive has started are true, then flooding the river as a barrier is strategic

How?

All evidence suggests the offensive is to the East, this is going to effect everything West. Crossing the Dnipro near Kherson always seems a big ask for the Ukraine armed forces.

How anyone can still support Russia at this stage is beyond me.
Have Russia admitted it was them who blew it up? i would be v surprised if they did and until they do i imagine those who support Russia with blame Ukraine and vice versa.

it would not surprise me that much if it was a botch as well... not that Russia would ever admit it but i could imagine a scenario where they put in the explosives as a contingency..... which then accidentally got set off.
this is showing imo the positives and negatives of nuclear deterrent. Yes it is stopping all out world war (for now at least) but OTOH Russia can pretty much do what ever the hell they please and the west is powerless to stop them.

i wonder where Russia will draw the line.......? limited localised tactical nuclear weapons against "military targets"? it would not surprise me.

Last edited:
How?

All evidence suggests the offensive is to the East, this is going to effect everything West. Crossing the Dnipro near Kherson always seems a big ask for the Ukraine armed forces.

Russia can move a load of forces from the South more Easterly since they can probably assume its going to be difficult for Ukraine to try to capture the south of Kherson now.

Have Russia admitted it was them who blew it up? i would be v surprised if they did and until they do i imagine those who support Russia with blame Ukraine and vice versa.

The Russians control that dam and the area around it. I can't see how the Ukrainians could be responsible. The video shows an explosion from the dam itself; there's no sign of a missile or artillery attack.

this is showing imo the positives and negatives of nuclear deterrent. Yes it is stopping all out world war (for now at least) but OTOH Russia can pretty much do what ever the hell they please and the west is powerless to stop them.

i wonder where Russia will draw the line.......? limited localised tactical nuclear weapons against "military targets"? it would not surprise me.

Not really tbh, if you've not watched that Perun video on the Escalation Ladder then it's worth it. He mirrored some of my thoughts over the effectiveness and willingness to use the nuclear deterrant and it's not all that likely over this conflict.

Don't forget, Russia was a nuclear power in the 70's/80's when they invaded Afghanistan, and the US did the same there, openly supplied the Afghans with enough military support that the nuclear backed oppressor was defeated and left the country and that was in the middle of the cold war when nuclear weapons seemed more likely to be used than now.

The cost of using the nuclear escalation isn't worth it to the Russians especially since this conflict isn't leading to a direct existential threat for Russia (well, not by the offensive actions of Ukraine and it's supporters)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom