Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really tbh, if you've not watched that Perun video on the Escalation Ladder then it's worth it. He mirrored some of my thoughts over the effectiveness and willingness to use the nuclear deterrant and it's not all that likely over this conflict.

Don't forget, Russia was a nuclear power in the 70's/80's when they invaded Afghanistan, and the US did the same there, openly supplied the Afghans with enough military support that the nuclear backed oppressor was defeated and left the country and that was in the middle of the cold war when nuclear weapons seemed more likely to be used than now.

The cost of using the nuclear escalation isn't worth it to the Russians especially since this conflict isn't leading to a direct existential threat for Russia (well, not by the offensive actions of Ukraine and it's supporters)
i hope you are right..... what a mess!. i will google and check out the video you suggest, thanks

Last edited:
Have Russia admitted it was them who blew it up? i would be v surprised if they did and until they do i imagine those who support Russia with blame Ukraine and vice versa.

it would not surprise me that much if it was a botch as well... not that Russia would ever admit it but i could imagine a scenario where they put in the explosives as a contingency..... which then accidentally got set off.
this is showing imo the positives and negatives of nuclear deterrent. Yes it is stopping all out world war (for now at least) but OTOH Russia can pretty much do what ever the hell they please and the west is powerless to stop them.

i wonder where Russia will draw the line.......? limited localised tactical nuclear weapons against "military targets"? it would not surprise me.
Russia will never admit to anything but their the only ones in a position to take such an action. Most likely they rigged up the dam to explode while they were running away from the right bank of the river just incase the Ukrainians followed them across.

The video shows an explosion from the dam itself; there's no sign of a missile or artillery attack.
its an old video from 2022

current version is that construction failed from accumulated damage of many previous shellings
explains how the situation and timing doesn't really make sense to either side

Have Russia admitted it was them who blew it up? i would be v surprised if they did and until they do i imagine those who support Russia with blame Ukraine and vice versa.

it would not surprise me that much if it was a botch as well... not that Russia would ever admit it but i could imagine a scenario where they put in the explosives as a contingency..... which then accidentally got set off.
this is showing imo the positives and negatives of nuclear deterrent. Yes it is stopping all out world war (for now at least) but OTOH Russia can pretty much do what ever the hell they please and the west is powerless to stop them.

i wonder where Russia will draw the line.......? limited localised tactical nuclear weapons against "military targets"? it would not surprise me.

I think more likely it was Russia than Ukraine.

Pros
Russia holds the site, so has opportunity now
Ukraine apparently "punished" for offensive early on
Likely restricts Ukrainian mobility
No loss for Russia if they are losing that land anyway
Long-term strategic problem and cost for ukraine
Flooding causes civilian pain for Ukraine

Cons
Affects zaporizhya plant, which Russia hold
Affects water supply to Crimea
Cost to Russia if they retake that land in future

i hope you are right..... what a mess!. i will google and check out the video you suggest, thanks

There's no guarantees as not everyone is a rational actor at all times, but the chances at the moment of a widespread nuclear exchange over this conflict are currently pretty small, hence why we are now reaching the end of our own "military supply" escalation ladder ie: there's not much more to give after the 4th Gen fighter planes.

The video is here to save you searching :)

This argument is way more in depth than this statement intimates. The worldwide political consequences of Russia using any form of nuclear weapon on a non nuclear power, and the precedent it sets cannot be overstated.

The consequences wouldn't just come from the West either. We have already heard that China hasn't been too keen on the nuclear sabre rattling, while the West is reported to have told Russia there would be a severe conventional response to such actions. There has to be a consequence or any nuclear power can wander into another country and do as they please.

Russia can move a load of forces from the South more Easterly since they can probably assume its going to be difficult for Ukraine to try to capture the south of Kherson now.
Not sure the total number of forces Russia had in Kherson but looking at all the open source data it looks like a few thousand at most. A lot of troops that fled Kherson have been redeployed to reinforce Lhasank, others sent in Vuldahadar, what's left is looks like a screening force to counter any Ukrainian crossings to the left bank of the Dnipro. Whatever is left I can't see it being enough to make much of a difference at a strategic level.

Okay so I might just be thick, but people are saying it will make crossing the river more difficult, but once the dam is empty, won't the flooding downstream subside? The only long lasting effect would be lower river levels upstream, which might help one side or the other on an offensive?

Cons
Viewing through a western lens. To know Russia you have to think like a Russian.

Russian Mentality: If it melts it show the West we mean business and all it cost us was a bit of contaminated land a handful of troops that we don't care about.

Russian Mentality: We can boat it in if required otherwise the people their can find their own water

Russian Mentality: The workers will pay for it out of their taxes

Okay so I might just be thick, but people are saying it will make crossing the river more difficult, but once the dam is empty, won't the flooding downstream subside? The only long lasting effect would be lower river levels upstream, which might help one side or the other on an offensive?

Maybe everything is going to be silted up the eyeballs?

Viewing through a western lens. To know Russia you have to think like a Russian.

Russian Mentality: If it melts it show the West we mean business and all it cost us was a bit of contaminated land a handful of troops that we don't care about.

Russian Mentality: We can boat it in if required otherwise the people their can find their own water

Yes, at the moment I don't think Putin cares about anything other than his own political future - he's probably told his generals to win at any cost.

Yep, I fully accept all of that, but those cons still exist.

Funnily enough, I'm one of the posters who have consistently pointed out the Russian mentality is different.

Last edited:
its an old video from 2022

current version is that construction failed from accumulated damage of many previous shellings
explains how the situation and timing doesn't really make sense to either side
If the Russians were not there in the first place there would be no previous shelling..

The Germans did a similiar thing during the Itatian campaign in Northern Italy during WW2 - the subsequent waterlogging of the land significantly slowed the advance of the allied forces.

For sure the Russians did this - it's inconceivable that the Ukranians would blow up one of the few (or only - I'm not too sure) river crossings in that area prior to their anticipated counter-attack (and hopefully, significant advance)

Not sure the total number of forces Russia had in Kherson but looking at all the open source data it looks like a few thousand at most. A lot of troops that fled Kherson have been redeployed to reinforce Lhasank, others sent in Vuldahadar, what's left is looks like a screening force to counter any Ukrainian crossings to the left bank of the Dnipro. Whatever is left I can't see it being enough to make much of a difference at a strategic level.

Sorry my tenses probably confused here.
But the main point remains, shorter front line and its a front line thats 1) a lot closer to Russia itself, and 2) far less likely to be able to be cut off.

Will be similar to pre dam going up.
Unless they were adding lots of water to the reservior then once the drain completes a normal level will be flowing downstream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom