Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could the Ukrainians launch these new missiles to ships in the Black Sea?

Which missiles? Atacms? I think atacms is GPS guided only, so it will hit GPS coordinates. If the ship is moving then the missile will miss. Same with storm shadow, I don't think it's advanced enough to hit moving targets at sea

Last edited:
I think its a bit naive to think that ATACMS will be the war ending capability. It certainly will increase options, reach and capability. I think it would have had a bigger effect earlier in the conflict. Still I'm sure it will be a very welcome addition to the arsenal if they get it, though I do feel even if they were to receive ATACMS, they wont receive them in sufficient quantities to have hugely significant effect. If anything it will be a huge hinderance to Russia as they have to pull vital equipment and stores further back yet from the front.
Could the Ukrainians launch these new missiles to ships in the Black Sea?
Theoretically yes, however it would have to be static. Would be highly risky and a huge waste if it misses though

Storm Shadow is reported as 250km range and ATACMS 305km.

Edit - Wikipedia says 500km for Storm Shadow but not sure that’s right.
I read somewhere when they were first built they can go as far as 500km but later international treaties on cruise missiles limited it's range.

As for ATACMS the strategy behind giving Ukraine these longer range rockets is to make Russia logistics more complicated as they will have to move supplies beyond 300km. Doing so will make it a lot harder to bring new supplies to the front. At this point Russia has 3 choices:

i) Move supplies out of the range of ATACMS and risk munitions shortages on the front lines.
ii) Keep supplies where they are and counter the missiles by taking them to the face and hope they run out missiles.
iii) Move supplies closer to front and protect them from MLRS attacks with GPS jamming.

None of those options are ideal, GPS jamming doesn't stop the rockets from hitting and exploding and it interferes with Russia own equipment and if left running it will get traced and targeted with standard artillery. Moving gear out of range would be the safest way though.

Last edited:
They would need something like Brimstone 3. Apparently Brimstone 3 is great for rapid conversion of ships to submarines.

Wont happen soon, Brimstone 3 and SPEAR 3 have problems

I think its a bit naive to think that ATACMS will be the war ending capability. It certainly will increase options, reach and capability. I think it would have had a bigger effect earlier in the conflict. Still I'm sure it will be a very welcome addition to the arsenal if they get it, though I do feel even if they were to receive ATACMS, they wont receive them in sufficient quantities to have hugely significant effect. If anything it will be a huge hinderance to Russia as they have to pull vital equipment and stores further back yet from the front.

Theoretically yes, however it would have to be static. Would be highly risky and a huge waste if it misses though

A sub being reloaded in a harbour wouldnt move around ;P

A sub being reloaded in a harbour wouldn't move around ;P

I have wondered since they got Storm Shadow why have they not hit any ships/Subs in Sevastopol.

I suspect to hit a sub while it reloading you would require satellite imagery and intel from the West and some people might feel that is a bit too far.

What is Ukraine's intel gathering like?

I have wondered since they got Storm Shadow why have they not hit any ships/Subs in Sevastopol.

I suspect to hit a sub while it reloading you would require satellite imagery and intel from the West and some people might feel that is a bit too far.

Personally I think they need missiles with enough range to hit Moscow and St Petersburg.

Legit targets of course but until this war gets taken all the way to Russian cities nothing is going to change.

Even some special forces behind enemy lines doing damage in the cities would wake up the Russian population.

The Russians are just sitting back with not a care in the world, its not on their doorstep so they don't care, give them something to think about and truly fear, then there will be change.

Personally I think they need missiles with enough range to hit Moscow and St Petersburg.

Legit targets of course but until this war gets taken all the way to Russian cities nothing is going to change.

Even some special forces behind enemy lines doing damage in the cities would wake up the Russian population.

The Russians are just sitting back with not a care in the world, its not on their doorstep so they don't care, give them something to think about and truly fear, then there will be change.

Nothing will change; the same happened during WW2 in the UK; May 1941 London was being bombed, yetg in SHeffiled there was a mienrs strike , they didnt want to send the coal south, in Blackpool they were worried about supplies for the upcomiong holiday seasons and in Eastbourne the newspaper headlines were about drunken soldiers rampaging through the town. Headline was ` Dont they know a war is on` .

I daresay they're getting more or less real-time intelligence from the West so doubt this would be an issue, Russia can't prove it anyway even if they tried to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom