Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Just hopeIsre

So not being completely upto on Naval tactics and the combined fleet of the black sea 2015-2024 (my own internal shame) What is the point in that ship ? Troop support, landing troops or just pounding the coastline. I get the name but cant see any other craft that hangs off it or in it ?
DW news had a video which has a clip of vehicles disembarking out the front.

Man of Honour
Just hopeIsre

So not being completely upto on Naval tactics and the combined fleet of the black sea 2015-2024 (my own internal shame) What is the point in that ship ? Troop support, landing troops or just pounding the coastline. I get the name but cant see any other craft that hangs off it or in it ?

Russia seemed to have had the intention of using most of the ones they moved to the Black Sea to support landings at Odesa in a 2 or possibly 3* pronged attack, rolling off armour as per video above, disembarking troops and equipment and using them to keep the troops resupplied.

For a mixture of reasons that never came off.

* Russia seemed to briefly consider using Transnistria as a staging area but for whatever reasons didn't, possibly due to the political situation or the vulnerability of supply lines.

Soldato
Just hopeIsre

For the purpose of this war the ship essentially was serving no purpose. It's stupid for the Russians to lose it given they should have learned of the risks to those ships by now, but it's destruction is more of a propaganda victory than anything meaningful

Associate
I made a roughly similar point earlier in the thread. Russia are going nowhere. Ukraine are going nowhere. All that will continue to happen is that thousands of mostly young men will die.

Talk. Just talk. If it doesn’t work then fine, just kill each other. But at least try.

My point I made earlier and a year ago and longer.....if the powers that be knows a compromise is the end result then both sides are completely and utterly morally bankrupt at all the people that now and will cease to exist.

If they fell victory was possible then thsts fair enough....but I haven't heard of many paths to this.

Seeing as its been discussed today, MOD earlier

Definitely trusting stats for someone with a political statement in the same post.

But the Russians are pretty retarded so its possible.

Thank you for so quickly demonstrating my point. 8 years on from the Brexit vote is there any proof of an army operating "under the direct command of an EU superstate"? In light of Trump's repeated threats about NATO, is continuing to rely expressly on US support such a good idea, rather than also coordinating with our NATO allies on a local basis to act as a joint deterrent and (if necessary) actually take action to defend Europe?

joint deterrent fine and i highly support but i remember the EU wanted it under their banner which i definitely dont support.

I think Putin would love to take the whole country, but it's too much even for him to bite off. We saw what happened when he tried to seize Kyiv in 3 days.

He'll likely settle for Crimea, Donbas, and at least one more region in the east.

and to my point above if negotiations end up there why do we have 100k more dead?

Genuine question. Did this actually happen?

yes i mentioned this before and was routinely disagreed with... ;)

yea all the wealthy escaped Ukraine at the start and heading to countries like ours offering asylum

asutria but still

Poland

I can't quickly find any UK stuff, but I remember at the time the journalists were talking about the lines of brand new cars in France waiting to claim asylum in the UK.

I think one of the articles in one of the news papers was some woman complaining about her Ukrainian guests who weren't poor and had expensive bags etc

Zürich and other such cities have tons of Ukrainian registered cars which are out of reach for most people here which happens to be one of the wealthiest countries on the planet. They are disproportionately high numbers of them.

I'm sure it's all above board....

Soldato
Until we can develop a foolproof counter to these naval drones, I think our carriers are better off sitting in Portsmouth operating as tourist attractions.

Possibly, but I don’t feel the drone threat at least to the Royal Navy is that great.

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought these landing craft were being used to ship weapons and ammo from NK / Iran. Is there tracking info available to see where it had been recently?

I think armament transport was one of the main uses, but as Rroff said it’s really an amphibious landing ship.

Russia usually have the transponders off.

Soldato
I've only just watched the BBC clip of the Russian ship being hit and I'm kinda dumbfounded. I am not a professional sailor so have no informed opinion but those drones look super shonky and it's hard to imagine they could have hit that ship if it had been underway (moving).

You see videos like MegaPorjects on the Javellin anti tank missile and it looks like science fiction. The sea drone looks like a canoe full of explosives remote controlled up to the Russian ship. Given they have already lost ships in this way I'm confounded as to how they let it happen again because to the untrained eye it looks like a moving ship would be an untenable target.

Soldato
I've only just watched the BBC clip of the Russian ship being hit and I'm kinda dumbfounded. I am not a professional sailor so have no informed opinion but those drones look super shonky and it's hard to imagine they could have hit that ship if it had been underway (moving).

You see videos like MegaPorjects on the Javellin anti tank missile and it looks like science fiction. The sea drone looks like a canoe full of explosives remote controlled up to the Russian ship. Given they have already lost ships in this way I'm confounded as to how they let it happen again because to the untrained eye it looks like a moving ship would be an untenable target.

From what I understand It’s pretty much a jet ski type craft packed with explosives. A jet ski is a pretty fast thing.

Man of Honour
I am not a professional sailor so have no informed opinion but those drones look super shonky and it's hard to imagine they could have hit that ship if it had been underway (moving).

Those landing ships do a max speed of 17-18knots, these naval drones can do up to around 30-40knots, those landing ships take about 2-3 minutes to do a complete turn at emergency speed, these drones can do it in not much more than 3 seconds.

Soldato
Those landing ships do a max speed of 17-18knots, these naval drones can do up to around 30-40knots, those landing ships take about 2-3 minutes to do a complete turn at emergency speed, these drones can do it in not much more than 3 seconds.
You see the way it bounced in calm-ish looking waters, it wasn't speed I was thinking about it was more tracking and targettting a moving target from such a light vessel in the dark whilst it's moving. Sorry should have said that in my post.

Man of Honour
You see the way it bounced in calm-ish looking waters, it wasn't speed I was thinking about it was more tracking and targettting a moving target from such a light vessel in the dark whilst it's moving. Sorry should have said that in my post.

The speed and size disparities help there - you don't really need much accuracy once it gets in close. Some of that moving about was attempting to make it a harder target for small arms fire which near the end was coming at the drones.

Suspended
They can't last another year unless we step up. I am utterly ashamed by the failure of the West to support our fellow Europeans.

"ashamed"? what do you expect the west to do? the whole world has given them ammo, arms, and vehicles over the past couple of years. Theres not really much else the west can do unless they are prepared to escalate the war into a WW3 scenario .

Soldato
I think the non gimbled/unstablised footage makes it look a lot worse. These aint no small model boats, they are about the size of a small RHIB/larger jetski.

Soldato
The speed and size disparities help there - you don't really need much accuracy once it gets in close. Some of that moving about was attempting to make it a harder target for small arms fire which near the end was coming at the drones.
The sea is big though and even a few miles for something seemingly so unsophisticated is a big deal for target aquisition. The camera is barely above the waves the horizon must be very short so even a few miles away from where you think it is might be enough to make interception difficult. Like I say I'm amazed that the Russian ship appeared to either stationary or nearly so given the proven risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom