Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Personally I have never considered the cold war as over. Got a little warmer in that the citizens of each were able to travel and communicate. As far as government levels go. Russia as the state taking on the reigns of the USSR has always been a pariah. Apart from a period in the late eighties and early nineties of the last century, the world superpower, the USA, and Russia have set themselves up in contention. It could only ever end in this way.
Filthy commies is a Korean and Vietnam war theme, Russians are not commies any more. The leadership is fascist oligarchical and the command economy is returning. Everything dictated from the centre. War is brutal but it appears that Russian corps are more brutal than most which helps drive the narrative and garner support against them.
Yes absolutely, it never ended. The arms race has only ebbed and flowed and changed in character along the way is all.

Soldato
The West fluffed it's chance to rehabilitate Russia. We let the proud USSR turn into an utterly collapsed Russia. Whilst Putin's crimes are Putin's crimes we have squandered lots of opportunities to bring them within the fold. I don't think historians will be very kind to the Western leaders of the 90's through 10's.
There was a period where Western leaders had good relations with Moscow. The UK have had a strong affinity towards Russia for some time. That has fallen apart since Putin though. I don't think it's as simple as blaming the west for this break down in relations. Slavs et al are a different people, it's hard to change deep rooted belief structures and ideologies. You can't just take incompatible peoples into your fold so easily. Look at trying to drag the middle east out of the dark ages into the progressive woke west world. It just can't be done overnight. In the past ironically, we'd have just exterminated/bred out these people.

Soldato
prdBNUY.png

Near NATO airspace not in, obviously provocative still, but there's large differences between the two.
And how near is "near". Generally within 3-5nm of a border can be considered an incursion. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they were pushing boundaries and taunting. They did it in Syria all the time.

Caporegime
There was a period where Western leaders had good relations with Moscow. The UK have had a strong affinity towards Russia for some time. That has fallen apart since Putin though. I don't think it's as simple as blaming the west for this break down in relations. Slavs et al are a different people, it's hard to change deep rooted belief structures and ideologies. You can't just take incompatible peoples into your fold so easily. Look at trying to drag the middle east out of the dark ages into the progressive woke west world. It just can't be done overnight. In the past ironically, we'd have just exterminated/bred out these people.
I don't think it has too much to do with being Slavic, I think the problem is simply that Russia is the rump of a superpower which feels cheated but can't bring itself to blame the real source of all their suffering - themselves.

Almost every other Slavic country's claim to power was so long ago that it's hardly worth discussing, but Russia's was in living memory and that's hard to shake.

Last edited:
Soldato
73anxIL.png
AjZ7Px0.png
XifXQ9B.png
xDWMoSE.png
Lqi4oSQ.png

[Apr 30 2022, 13:30:01 BST]: Russian Foreign Ministry: Russia Clearly Follows the Understanding That Nuclear Conflict Is Unacceptable — TASS
[Apr 30 2022, 13:32:22 BST]: Russian Foreign Ministry: Urges Other Countries to Stick to the Logic Laid out in Official Documents to Prevent Nuclear War — TASS

Last edited:
Soldato
This is just not true. A friend of mine went to Russia to help their oil business, setting up factories etc in Tyumen. The corruption over there is amazing. As was the pollution: he told of flying over lakes of oil. The West tried to help but the Russians threw it away.

I don't think people quite get the depth of corruption in russia which extends to all levels even in the state: someone I used to know went on a private visit as a lone tourist and got locked up by moscow police as soon as they found out he was a westerner: release was conditional on him handing over hundred of dollars in cash to them (not roubles they wanted US$) they were quite open about it he was annoyed and upset but as I said to him it could have been worse: indefinite stay in a russian jail

Soldato
Was watching the news earlier, there was a bit about the American recently killed in Ukrain.

He left behind a yound wife and baby.

Madness I thought why would a youn man want to risk all that when he had a young familly?

Then the truth comes out, he wasnt on any sort of injustice being righted crussade.

Turns out he was a paid Mercinary, recruited to fight for money, just like the hated Wagner group who are employed by the Russians.

Still a tragety for the young mans family but it now tells me why there are so many foreign Ukranian "volunteers"

Money makes people do stupid things.

They are volunteering to join the Ukrainian army and being paid in line with Ukrainian soldiers. Volunteer as opposed to conscripted, not volunteer as in do it for free.
Literally no one fighting on either side is doing it for free. Wagner typically hire criminals and they have a high incidence of doing things the Russian government want plausible deniability on, this guy is in no way related to the war criminals in Wagner and you'd have to be pretty dim to fall for Russian propoganda like that.

Soldato

Russia repels Ukrainian plane entering its air space - governor​

Two shells hit an oil refinery in a region bordering Ukraine when Russian air defence units repelled a Ukrainian warplane attempting to enter Russian airspace, the Bryansk regional governor has said.
Alexander Bogomaz said the blast wave from the incident damaged parts of the oil terminal but there were no casualties.
It was not clear from his post on Telegram whether the blasts were a result of Russian air defence fire or came from missiles fired from the Ukrainian military plane.

BBC live

Caporegime
China would be upset in that circumstance as it would expose their foreign policy (no-first-use, 'respecting' national sovereignty) as a sham and they can't afford for that to happen before they're ready to exploit it.

Associate
They are volunteering to join the Ukrainian army and being paid in line with Ukrainian soldiers. Volunteer as opposed to conscripted, not volunteer as in do it for free.
Literally no one fighting on either side is doing it for free. Wagner typically hire criminals and they have a high incidence of doing things the Russian government want plausible deniability on, this guy is in no way related to the war criminals in Wagner and you'd have to be pretty dim to fall for Russian propoganda like that.
No this guy was approached and recruited as a mercenary in the USA

He was not a guy turning up at the border looking to join.

There is a big difference between being recruited state side and just wanting to help.

This was about money. There are also at least 100 british mercenaries, (Russia managed to get the list and named them all) they are repuded to be paid 2k per day.

Associate
No idea what this weapon is/was, not long range and slow, very potent for sure.

Associate
This was about money. There are also at least 100 british mercenaries, (Russia managed to get the list and named them all) they are repuded to be paid 2k per day.
As soon as you put 'Russia managed to get a list and name them all' I start to doubt the truth of it.

Soldato

There's a cut at 14 seconds and it suddenly zooms in just before it explodes, it makes it look a lot worse than it actually was if you're not observant

Last edited:
Soldato

Its a mine clearing charge forgot the name but ive seen it on videos on Twitter.

But its being used on targets apparently highly used in Syria.

Soldato
NHzjgxQ.png
oscN3io.png

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't think people quite get the depth of corruption in russia which extends to all levels even in the state: someone I used to know went on a private visit as a lone tourist and got locked up by moscow police as soon as they found out he was a westerner: release was conditional on him handing over hundred of dollars in cash to them (not roubles they wanted US$) they were quite open about it he was annoyed and upset but as I said to him it could have been worse: indefinite stay in a russian jail

We did the mobile payments for app stores in Russia and elsewhere, in russia the telecoms operators couldn't do any financial billing of the services due to corruption so instead the operators had to partner with a bank and all the financials went that way.. naturally that's just one oligarch ensuring the income sits in his/her corruption ecosystem. The Russian operator client was saying that corruption in Russia was someone walks into your office and demands money or you don't stay in operation (meaning both physically you and your company).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom