Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I was quite interested to see the arms enthusiasts ( is that what you might call them? ) had been studying vidoes and tearing apart a video of a Ukrainian shooting down a drone with a shoulder launched missile ( Check out the Independant for the video ) , pointed out that the missile launcher was a British system but wasn't the Starstreak that some claimed it to be, but the Martlet. Funny the Dept of Defence never mentioned that. But then again, it's so new it's not even in active service yet so perhaps they wouldn't. Makes you wonder what other ultra high tech stuff is being "tested" in the war!!!

Soldato
This war has some analogies with the Spanish civil war, a war where lots of parties were involved, lots of arms were tested and there was an ideological side to it. Furthermore, some years before the spanish civil war, (1936) there was a global economic crisis(1929) and a pandemic (influenza, the 20's), just like the 2010 economic crash and covid today. Coincidences, maybe yes maybe not, history definitely repeats its self, i hope this situation isnt the prelude to ww3

Associate
That's because all of his supporting MPs fled. They knew it was the end for their corruption and Russian sycophancy.
Then it’s not a democratic change then is it? It’s just the rule of the mob.
Feel free to vote his policies down at the next election.
If only there was a word to describe that?!

As to the original point… the Russians may feel sonewhat annoyed at these goings on and therefore may if had a reason… rather than no reason as stated above.
Thumbs up simpletons.

Life as always is a bit more complicated and Pootin didn’t wake up one day mad & bad.
In much the same way the west didn’t invade Afganistan for lolz. They had reasons.
We’ll see how we feel about Empire/borders once the Yanks dictate to us what happens in NI.

Soldato

As to the original point… the Russians may feel sonewhat annoyed at these goings on and therefore may if had a reason… rather than no reason as stated above.
Thumbs up simpletons.

Life as always is a bit more complicated and Pootin didn’t wake up one day mad & bad.
In much the same way the west didn’t invade Afganistan for lolz. They had reasons.
We’ll see how we feel about Empire/borders once the Yanks dictate to us what happens in NI.
So why did the USSR invade Afghanistan? Something to do with imperialism I believe.

As for NI, there needs to be a border referendum where currently about 30% believe in reunification. There needs to be a vote in the assembly and the secretary of state needs to approve the proposal. The fact of Sinn Fein gaining more seats than the Unionists does not go far. Also who says that the ROI wants the north reincorporated with it.

Soldato
That is the way of all armies/forces. Do you really think our Govt/any other gives a XXXX about the ordinary grunt.
They may not at an indivdual level but they care about votes and country moral, 1000's of body bags coming home each week isn't a good look and if a British goverment told the army to use tatics similar to that of Russians where soldiers are sent in suicidal attacks there would very quickly be a revolt at all army levels. Also western governments are subject to a free press, I recall during Iraq the equipment we were using wasn't up to scratch or wasn't suitable for the desert environment and the government was forced to step in and get it sorted that just wouldn't happen with the Russians. All out troops get 1st rate training, taught survival skills and are given proper body armor and have access to state of the art weapons, we don't round up scores of young men and through into combat at the drop of the hat.

Caporegime

Thumbs up simpletons.

It is democratic. They weren't forced to leave, they chose to.

Associate
Very good analysis

General thoughts on Zeihan? I stopped taking him seriously when he stated that countries like Germany will "cease to exist" if the US stops protecting shipping lanes, because it imports a lot of its raw goods. As if the 4th richest country, Europe's richest & biggest exporter is some helpless child, and no technological solutions will ever be forthcoming for anything between now and 2100. I thought this years ago, but I found a comment here that summarised my thoughts in greater detail. He's like the beta tester that lists problems with your product, and provides his own solutions. The former is useful, the latter not so much.

Soldato
Why is China failing? I thought they had been on the ball comparable to the West? Buying up Africa, the belt road trade thing, securing South China Sea etc.

Also, what would they stand to gain economically by annexing Taiwan? It'd just be a big pile of rubble when the smoke clears.

And are birth rates also a factor? They're in decline just about everywhere.

Yes birth rates, you forget that everyone wants to live in the West and the West has had no problems vastly ramping up its population through immigration even with negative replacement birth rates. China and Russia does not have that no one wants to live there and people are leaving, combine with negative birth rates and you have countries who's populations will be cut in half in 50 years, and you can't maintain your power when you lose half your work force while Europe, North America, Australia just keeps growing

Soldato

Thumbs up simpletons.

You think Putin's man would listen to any election once in power?

Ookkkkkaayyyyyyy

Soldato
General thoughts on Zeihan? I stopped taking him seriously when he stated that countries like Germany will "cease to exist" if the US stops protecting shipping lanes, because it imports a lot of its raw goods. As if the 4th richest country, Europe's richest & biggest exporter is some helpless child, and no technological solutions will ever be forthcoming for anything between now and 2100. I thought this years ago, but I found a comment here that summarised my thoughts in greater detail. He's like the beta tester that lists problems with your product, and provides his own solutions. The former is useful, the latter not so much.
Zeihan is ok in small doses, he's at his best when he's being purly analytical and talking numbers to explain his points whereas at other time he can come across as an arrogant know it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom