Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
It's clear Russia aren't releasing footage of this really, or at least that seems to be the case.

Guessing at the count seems kind of fruitless, they may be able to estimate numbers based on before/after satellite images.

That was a big old explosion though that's for sure.
There's another video doing the rounds showing the aftermath around the bast. There's a carpark just over 500m away from one of the bases that was blown up, all the cars were destroyed or heavily damaged. A quick look on Google and an blast wave that big is about 1/3 of the atomic bomb that struck Hiroshima (Hiroshima having about a mile blast wave).

Soldato
It's pretty clear from the explosion itself that wasn't a small one, I'm not sure why people seem to be saying it did basically nothing, it seems like that's an agenda to down-play the potential damage the attack caused.

Caporegime
The heat and pressure waves would have caused damage to the berm'd planes so even if they've not been literally flattened by a rogue missile they're still likely to suffer from a series of faults that will ground them anyway.

Soldato
1h ago 16:07

Attack on military airbase in Crimea is a huge boost for Ukraine​

By Alistair Bunkall, Sky News correspondent
This attack will be embarrassing for Moscow and a huge boost for Kyiv.
Crimea, which was illegally annexed by Russia in 2014, has been a relative safe-haven for Russians to live and holiday in. The Russian military has used the Saky airbase to launch air assaults in southern Ukraine.
We understand that a Ukrainian special forces group carried out the attack, and no Western-provided weapons were used.
This says much about the ability of highly trained Ukrainian soldiers to operate behind enemy lines and shows that Crimea is not off-limits, despite warnings by the Kremlin.
The precise extent of the damage to the airbase isn't yet clear – we were told that seven fighter jets were destroyed and more damaged but Ukrainian defence officials have also claimed nine were destroyed. Battle damage assessments (BDA) can sometimes take a few days to determine.
It's hard to overstate the reception this attack has had amongst Ukrainians – social media sites have been celebrating it and news sites have covered it widely here today.
The momentum has shifted back-and-forth in this war, but the combination of longer range Western-supplied weapons, and daring assaults like this, is helping swing things back in Ukraine's favour.

1h ago 16:07

Attack on military airbase in Crimea is a huge boost for Ukraine​

By Alistair Bunkall, Sky News correspondent
This attack will be embarrassing for Moscow and a huge boost for Kyiv.
Crimea, which was illegally annexed by Russia in 2014, has been a relative safe-haven for Russians to live and holiday in. The Russian military has used the Saky airbase to launch air assaults in southern Ukraine.
We understand that a Ukrainian special forces group carried out the attack, and no Western-provided weapons were used.
This says much about the ability of highly trained Ukrainian soldiers to operate behind enemy lines and shows that Crimea is not off-limits, despite warnings by the Kremlin.
The precise extent of the damage to the airbase isn't yet clear – we were told that seven fighter jets were destroyed and more damaged but Ukrainian defence officials have also claimed nine were destroyed. Battle damage assessments (BDA) can sometimes take a few days to determine.
It's hard to overstate the reception this attack has had amongst Ukrainians – social media sites have been celebrating it and news sites have covered it widely here today.
The momentum has shifted back-and-forth in this war, but the combination of longer range Western-supplied weapons, and daring assaults like this, is helping swing things back in Ukraine's favour.

Was the attack performed by SUSs
(special Ukrainian services)

Soldato
Ukraine ran out of planes, has very few tanks left. No targets.
On a tangent, how can anybody believe they could mount a counteroffensive of any size?
Even if they had any mobile units left, they would need to move out of the towns, out from protection of civilians

I'm going to put on my arm-chair general hat for a minute here, but Ukraine have been outnumbered and outgunned for the whole war, that is why the frontline looks like it does.

You don't win a war like this by going out into open fields and having a good old shoot-out with your enemy, when you're outnumbered, it's about fighting smart not hard.

Even from an objective point of view, Ukraine have the initiative at the moment, the appearance of the HIMARS launchers have swung things slightly back in their favour, territorial gains/losses seem minimal on both sides. But ammo dumps are going up in smoke and the Russian doctrine with it, because they don't seem to have any strategy except for fire artillery and follow up once the target is flattened by it.

On the one hand, Ukraine are fighting for their very existence, on the other hand, Russia are there fighting because they are probably largely forced to by circumstance. The morale on the Russian side must be very low compared to Ukraine.

In my arm-chair general opinion, Russia are already losing this conflict, slowly but surely, they will find it harder to sustain the troops, supplies, and equipment to keep fighting. I believe Ukraine are now less out-numbered than before, and with a steady flow of advanced armaments, it's hard to see how Russia can win this with what they are fielding.

Soldato
60 pilots? what a load of bs

1 confirmed dead (civilian, not a pilot), 13 injured
zero confirmed planes lost
Just lol.
there is a short clip of a damaged Su-24 that could come from anywhere. My guess from one of bombed airfields in beginning of war

Enter hostile airspace and do what? Present a target for remaing Buk-M1s?
Test Armata as Javelin catcher?

Ukraine ran out of planes, has very few tanks left. No targets.
On a tangent, how can anybody believe they could mount a counteroffensive of any size?
Even if they had any mobile units left, they would need to move out of the towns, out from protection of civilians

Btw here are some, trying to get to Russian controlled territories with their families and possessions (to get raped and pillaged faster?)

It's a 5thgen plane, it's entire purpose is to enter highly contested airspace and do it's business !

And again, active defenses are designed to defeat those threats.

Sheesh, quick Google eh?

Oh so the Ukrainian airforce is no longer operational now..... wow.

Soldato
Ukraine clearly still have an airforce, I don't think either side are using many planes though, high risk of being shot down depending where they are operating from. I think it would be accurate to say Ukraine doesn't have a large air force but they do have one.

Anyone saying they don't have planes or tanks is just making stuff up, frankly.

Soldato
The su-57 is an air superiority fighter/bomber and apparently a 5th gen one, so it should like the f-35 be able to enter hostile airspace and do whatever is needed to be done,no?
Because you know, Russia doesn't have air superiority....

The armata has active defenses, so will nullify Ukrainian advantage in anti tank missiles..
Because you know, Russian tanks tend to go pop a lot....

So, your point being what?

Nice to have a new pro Russian rape and pillage fan back on the thread.

Current Russian kit also has active anti missile systems - Drozd and Arena.

Man of Honour
Anyone saying they don't have planes or tanks is just making stuff up, frankly.

Ukraine, for various reasons, has only relatively recently started using their T-72s and T-80s in any numbers - for the first half of the war they tended to favour utilising the T-64s. Additionally they've received at least 200 T-72 variant tanks from places like Poland. Though the T-72s mostly seem to be utilised by reserve units and to replace losses.

They held a fair few of the newer (not necessarily better) and some of the more upgraded T-64 tanks back in the earlier part of the war, at least 2 armour brigades, in case they were needed to defend Kyiv - I'm not sure of the current deployment but AFAIK they are operating at full strength (so approx. 200 tanks between them) - one was last sighted near Zaporizhzhia. And at least 2 more tank brigades are known to exist at at least some approximation of full strength.

Military analysts are saying that lack of trained man power rather than lack of equipment is why Ukraine is struggling to field larger armoured forces - they likely have around 730 serviceable tanks though probably some of those are damaged in need of repair or in need of servicing to keep them operational but only the man power to operate about half of them properly in combat.

To say they have few tanks left is to buy into the Russian propaganda.

EDIT: Supposedly Ukraine is getting ~58 Polish PT-91 tanks (basically an upgraded T-72) as well.

Soldato
Yes, I wish people were a little more objective sometimes.

I can criticise Russia for even starting this war but I can still recognise their military situation, the various reports show the relative strengths and they aren't pretending Ukraine outnumbers Russia, quite the opposite, I think the only area that Russia were losing on in terms of power was against the functionality of the HIMARS.

Raw troop count, tanks, planes, artillery etc, they are still ahead. They have spent a hell of a lot of equipment though, and their ability to keep fielding the same numbers seems to be reducing over time, they will only have so much stock readily available, and some of it will be of questionable condition if it's been in storage for many years.

Man of Honour
Yes, I wish people were a little more objective sometimes.

I can criticise Russia for even starting this war but I can still recognise their military situation, the various reports show the relative strengths and they aren't pretending Ukraine outnumbers Russia, quite the opposite, I think the only area that Russia were losing on in terms of power was against the functionality of the HIMARS.

Raw troop count, tanks, planes, artillery etc, they are still ahead. They have spent a hell of a lot of equipment though, and their ability to keep fielding the same numbers seems to be reducing over time, they will only have so much stock readily available, and some of it will be of questionable condition if it's been in storage for many years.

I still find the air situation puzzling and a bit curious - obviously both sides still have functional air-defences of varying capability but neither side seems to be utilising what air assets they do have to much effect - combat missions from both sides seem limited to a pair of Su-25s or 2-3 low flying Mil Mi series helicopters often utilised in a more mobile artillery role rather than direct attack or air-to-air.

It seems despite both sides still having some semblance of a functional air-force, Russia especially, but Ukraine still has over a dozen combat capable jets, neither side is capable of fly complex large scale air operations in a situation requiring coordination. Though in some ways it maybe isn't surprising as Russia/USSR has always tended to be of the opinion that if they are fighting a war it will be an all out war with the West, with no consideration for friendly fire or losses, and everything really has been approached with that mindset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom