Ultima Mobile - 15.4" WSXGA Laptop

Associate
Just wanted to give a shout out for this laptop, I got mine from Ninja2000 (Thanks mate!)

Anyway I'm just so impressed with it, it's build quality is absolutely rock solid and it's very quick. I think it's pretty quiet under load and when not being used for gaming it's silent! I've even tried overclocking the GPU with some good results (9823 - 3DMark 06). Although I'm keeping it at stock speeds from now on as it's quick enough.

I haven't got the space for a desktop and didn't want a massive 17" thing so this is just awesome, if you're considering getting one - do it! :D

Associate
Hey guys. I just got an Ultima 15" and have had a wierd problem with the screen not coming on occasionally when I turn the power on. It seems to happen randomly but seems to be more often when its been turned off for a longer period.

Its as if when the power button is pressed, it goes straight in to sleep mode if that makes sense. Does the length of time you hold down the power button have any bearing on what the machine does?

Thanks for any assistance or feedback.
cheers

Soldato
Hey guys. I just got an Ultima 15" and have had a wierd problem with the screen not coming on occasionally when I turn the power on. It seems to happen randomly but seems to be more often when its been turned off for a longer period.

Its as if when the power button is pressed, it goes straight in to sleep mode if that makes sense. Does the length of time you hold down the power button have any bearing on what the machine does?

Thanks for any assistance or feedback.
cheers

I've also had this problem a few times. Sometimes even three times in quite succession but I can't figure out what's causing it. It is random and sometimes won't do it for a few weeks then bam.. happens.

Associate
Mr_T - Glad you are enjoying it. Did you get those last device drivers sorted? I posted the driver disk by the way and just updated your trust :)

PS what did you use to overclock? I was going to try it but there was nothing that needed the boost!

Associate
Mr_T - Glad you are enjoying it. Did you get those last device drivers sorted? I posted the driver disk by the way and just updated your trust :)

PS what did you use to overclock? I was going to try it but there was nothing that needed the boost!

Not yet, but it's not causing any issues at the moment everything is flying along. I'll have another go when I get the disk.

Used the official nvidia laptop drivers & ntune to over clock the GPU - but it's back to default clocks now because as you say nothing I'm running needs the boost.

Associate
Hi,

I would like to buy the Ultima Mobile (M860TU) soon and I’ve got some questions for people that have bought one.

1. As OcUK don’t let you choose the brands of its components (HHD, Memory, BD-drive, etc), what is your experience with what you have got? What are the brands? I am worried about compatibility issues.
  2. Has anyone got any experience with post-purchase (2 year warranty) service from OcUK?
  3. What do you think of the WSXGA+ LCD screen compared to other laptops?
  4. Is it 3.2kg or 3.7kg, cause I have found both figures in reviews?

I much appreciate your time in answering my questions.

Thanks
Joe

Associate
1. If you select the laptop and choose the components you can examine them in detail in the basket before going to checkout. For me the HD is Western Digital Scorpio Black 320GB 7200RPM SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (WD3200BEKT) and the DVDRW is Samsung SN-S083A/BEBE DVD±RW SATA Notebook Rewriter Drive - OEM. No issues experienced with either.

2. Not experienced any issues with the laptop (3 month ownership) so can't comment on warranty.

3. Screen is glossy which I thought might be an issue but very happy with it, the blacks seems quite good. I've posted a screen calibration earlier in this thread.

4. Sorry not weighed it but at either 3.2 or 3.7kg it is no lightweight which is to be expected for a performance laptop of this size.

Associate
Cheers hagemon..

I just ordered mine!

Slackworth, would it be too much to ask for your team to do a quick check for dead pixels on the screen and for loose components such as memories, etc before shipping?

My order no is: OC748853

Thanks for your time

Associate
Hi,

First off I've had my laptop since before xmas now and I'm still really impressed even my stuck pixel has gone away for the last 6 weeks :)

I hooked it upto the TV last night via HDMI but I couldn't get any audio output. Does anyone know which settings I need to change to get this working? Vista 64bit. I had to run a 3.5m jack out of the headphones into the phono connection on my amp in the end which was a right pain in the arse.

Thanks

Associate
Hi,

First off I've had my laptop since before xmas now and I'm still really impressed even my stuck pixel has gone away for the last 6 weeks :)

Hi Dillinga, may I ask what was your method of getting rid of the stuck pixel (I've had one since November, and it's a bit too obvious when watching a movie)

I hooked it upto the TV last night via HDMI but I couldn't get any audio output. Does anyone know which settings I need to change to get this working? Vista 64bit. I had to run a 3.5m jack out of the headphones into the phono connection on my amp in the end which was a right pain in the arse.

Thanks

When you hooked it up to the HDTV, did you set the default audio device to 'Digital Output'? This should enable sound through the HDMI.

Associate
Hi Dillinga, may I ask what was your method of getting rid of the stuck pixel (I've had one since November, and it's a bit too obvious when watching a movie)

When you hooked it up to the HDTV, did you set the default audio device to 'Digital Output'? This should enable sound through the HDMI.

I started off carefully wiping over the pixel with a lint free cloth. I have to go from right to left as any other direction turned it brighter! I had to do this quite a lot but as I couldn't fine a pattern to it. I though it was the angle of the screen for a bit but I'm not sure. Why its gone away now for such an extened time I don't know? Maybe the good weather ;)

I tried setting the Digital output as default but still no luck ....maybe its my TV?

Associate
1. If you select the laptop and choose the components you can examine them in detail in the basket before going to checkout. For me the HD is Western Digital Scorpio Black 320GB 7200RPM SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (WD3200BEKT) and the DVDRW is Samsung SN-S083A/BEBE DVD±RW SATA Notebook Rewriter Drive - OEM. No issues experienced with either.

2. Not experienced any issues with the laptop (3 month ownership) so can't comment on warranty.

3. Screen is glossy which I thought might be an issue but very happy with it, the blacks seems quite good. I've posted a screen calibration earlier in this thread.

4. Sorry not weighed it but at either 3.2 or 3.7kg it is no lightweight which is to be expected for a performance laptop of this size.

4) It appears to be 3.2Kg for the laptop inc. battery, with an extra 0.5 kg for the power brick, so the total weight that you would be carrying would typically be 3.7kg.

Permabanned
Definately interested in this if there is a price drop in the offing :D

I beefed it up a bit, 4GB RAM, P8600, 320GB 7200RPM & Vista 64Bit, but ive not priced up something else at that spec to compare value. Coming in at around 1300 + delivery... and I think the misses would cut off my nuts if I spent that

Associate
It's due for a refresh - I believe the latest models have a slightly different motherboard that now supports quad core chips. They're also able to take the new Nvidia 260m gfx card - although it's not much quicker than the 9800GTS.

Fantastic laptop - my only niggle is the screen it has very poor viewing angles.

Back
Top Bottom