Poll: United States Grand Prix 2017, Austin - Race 17/20

Rate the 2017 USA Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
It was Webber who said it was a **** decision. The others continued to tell him off after the ad break. He said “sorry whatevs” and then said it was after the watershed so it’s ok.

You're quite right, it was Webber not Horner. His apology wasn't very sincere though. Maybe he doesn't care if he keeps or loses his pundit job.

Soldato
He wouldn't have. Remember the '**** Charlie* event when Max took (kept) a place unfairly but didn't give it back? He doesn't seem that sort of guy.

This is the whole problem with Max. He's a great talent but he's arrogant and doesn't seem to think the rules apply to him.

I've noticed he's now escalating things by calling the steward an idiot because he feels he keeps penalising only him, referring directly to the Mexico incident last year. Even a year on, there's no humility from him about that which was as clear a case of corner cutting as you'll ever see. He needs to calm the **** down.

Caporegime
If that wasn't a podium position and it wasn't on the end lap would have been fine

The rule needs to be

Cannot exceed track limits when overtaking to gain a higher position on the podium

Soldato
If that wasn't a podium position and it wasn't on the end lap would have been fine

Rubbish. If it hadn't been on the final lap then he'd have been told to give the place back. He'd have refused of course and kept moaning all the way until the end of the race and then been given a post-race time penalty, exactly as happened in Mexico last year. The kid may be 20 now but still behaves like a typical teenager - never ever in the wrong.

Soldato
Just a typical teenage response, you’re just picking on me, it’s not fair.. whatever - you broke a rule and have zero come back.

Does he expect the rules to be broken for him?

It’s a fair point that the track limits rules need to be clearer but since when was going off the track to overtake acceptable? That has never and will never be acceptable. Pointing the finger to othere who may have got away with it doesn’t make it fine, not even in primary school.

Soldato
The only way he was able to get as close to Perez as quickly as he did was via cutting corners, likewise he actually made the pass going fast enough to require leaving the track on exit. If he was going slowly enough to stay on track then maybe Perez comes back at him, or if he braked earlier then maybe he wouldn't have entered the corner as he did. It was because he felt safe going wide on exit that he had no problem going up the inside as fast as he did.

Likewise it doesn't really matter if Vettel was ahead into the corner, because the corner is the braking zone, the corner and the exit. As with Sainz, if he brakes earlier or goes slower in the corner to make sure he doesn't leave the track on exit then maybe he maybe Hamilton hangs it around on the outside.

When you're safe to be unpunished going wide on exit, it means you can dive bomb the inside, brake later, etc. Ricciardo was the same, he absolutely dive bombed Bottas, Bottas had to take avoiding action to prevent being hit as Ricciardo took the corner in such a way he had zero chance to stay on track. In doing this Bottas was slowed down significantly and as Ricciardo floored it on exit Bottas is defending a guy who only got into that position by feeling safe about leaving the track and flooring it.

All these things went unpunished and Max's was punished.

The difference is that these manouvres didn't result in actual overtakes or retention of position. Had they done so then I think action would have been taken. Many are citing the Bottas/Verstappen incident where Bottas kept ahead by running wide, but Verstappen got past anyway on the next corner. Had he not done so then I firmly believe Bottas would have had to cede the position. Likewise with Ricciardo's dive into turn 1 - had he actually made it past Bottas then I think Mercedes would have protested and a Danny been forced to give the place back.

Yes I agree with you that there were many cases where running wide gave a "lasting advantage" in that it allowed the driver to close up on the guy in front and this isn't acceptable either but this is far more of a "grey" area and doesn't excuse the more blatant cases. I think the FIA have it right with cases where it's obvious an overtake or position retention has been because of a track limits violation, always handing down a penalty if the drivers don't rectify it themselves. It's the grey area of 'merely' gaining time that's a bit more foggy.

My biggest issue with all of this is still Verstappen's arrogance. He's obviously STILL sore about Mexico when you couldn't get a more open and shut case of cheating. The majority of drivers will realise when they've pushed things too far and hand the place back. Max just ploughs on and doesn't even seem to realise he's in the wrong.

Soldato
It was the correct decision giving Max the penalty, it's just a shame as he deserved the overtake and I think could've done it without going over the lines.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
It was the correct decision giving Max the penalty, it's just a shame as he deserved the overtake and I think could've done it without going over the lines.

My feelings also, which is why I think Max and the team are pretty upset about it. The pass was inevitable but he just took too much run off trying to be safe. Not a deliberate rule flouting that's for sure.

I think his driving has much improved as has his attitude since the break, taking less risks but still driving beautifully. I was so chuffed he got that podium, great drive. Not Canada 2011 great, but as this season has gone it was a welcome show.

Soldato
Considering he hadn't raced a single-seater for 5 years I think it was a good debut. His pace wasn't especially great, but overall he was probably no less impressive than any other mid-season debutant than I can remember for a good few years, so definitely worth a chance to see whether he's worthy of racing next year.

They've always got Kyvat to fall back on if it doesn't work out, but the chances of them scoring strong points in the remainder of the year are minimal.

I'm just surprised Red Bull have appointed a non-Red Bull driver. I assumed he was only in for a one-off due to Gasly being off in Japan.

Back
Top Bottom