• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unlock your ATI 6950 to a 6970 Thread

Associate
I have just flashed my Asus OC 2GB 6950 to 6970, however one of my DVI outputs is not working for my second monitor, I have a dual screen set up with DVI connectors. windows recognises there is a second monitor attached, but no output is displayed on the screen, is there a fix for this?

Last edited:

Lum

Lum

Soldato
Did you flash it with the latest ASUS BIOS from the list on techpowerup.com by any chance?

I made that mistake.. that BIOS is for a different card. Use the generic Sapphire one and you'll be fine.

Associate
Just flashed my MSI 6950 to a 6970 using the method in the OP and it all went nice an smoothly. Heaven ran perfectly happy at 880/1375, but the temps were getting rather high (89 degrees when I stopped it), so dropped it to 840/1300 for the time being. Heaven has it hitting about 78 degrees with this set up, but my case air flow is not great. I also dropped the power control to -10%, which doesn't seem to have affected it at all in terms of stability, but will it help the temps at all?

What's a reasonable temp goal for these cards? Wondering if I might be better just unlocking the shaders rather than the full 6970 flash as this increases volts doesn't it? Also, can anyone tell me how to find out what the voltage is that it's running? Can't see anything in MSI afterburner or GPU-Z.

Associate
Never mind, reading through some previous posts, looks like these temps aren't far out. Got it back at 880/1375 with fan at 40% and that's holding at 78 degrees during Heaven now so think that's ok.

I still have power set at -10%, there's not sign of any artefacts, but most people seem to be going in the opposite direction with this. Is this a bad thing? (please excuse ignorance!).

Associate
Did you flash it with the latest ASUS BIOS from the list on techpowerup.com by any chance?

I made that mistake.. that BIOS is for a different card. Use the generic Sapphire one and you'll be fine.

yeah I did, Saphire? is there not an asus one that works for it? also idle temps are about 70C, which apparently is normal.. :S, Looks like next upgrade is water cooling!

Lum

Lum

Soldato
There are 4 Asus BIOSes on that download page, the one you used is, I think, for an eyefinity card. Feel free to try the ones you haven't already tried :)

I know the Sapphire one works though.

Last edited:
Soldato
hi. i've got two questions.

1) can "ASUS ATI Radeon 6950 OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express" be unlocked to 6970?

2) http://hw-lab.com/unlock-radeon-hd-6950-2gb-tested.html
can this method be used to unlock the 6950 asus card?

thanks.

I have that card and I'm using the Asus 6970 bios flashed with RBE and it works fine. Not all cards can be flashed and some may artifact once flashed there is a certain amount of luck invloved but the majority seem to work ok.

Associate
I'm looking at doing this to my card, but I'm worried about the increase in power when playing games.

Looks like I'll be upgrading my psu before I do this, which means ill be upgrading a few other components as well.

Associate
I have just flashed my new MSI reference 6950 to a 6970 using the batch file available from TPU. Whats the best way to benchmark this bad boy (I have a code for 3DMark 11 with it, is that any good?)

Also anything else I might want to tweak after flashing it...played a few games and it seems stable.

Associate
I know the MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC isn't reference and has different clock settings, but has anyone been able to use this method to get the shaders unlocked etc?
Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom