• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unlock your ATI 6950 to a 6970 Thread

Associate
Picked up an Asus 6950 reference design off ebay for £170, flashed to 6970 with minor problems, job done. cheers for all the info on here, helped a bunch.

Shaders 1408 = 1536
Pixal fillrate 25.9 = 28.2
Texture fillrate 71.3 = 84.5
GPU & defult Clocks 810mhz = 880mhz

Bottled it after reading most of this thread now, extra voltage and memory timings put me off so i flashed it back. :D

I will look into unlocking the shaders only 2moro, sleep time now.

Unlocked shaders only, was more hassle that i expected. But all good now, think i will just leave it be now.

Run a few bench marks on heaven, not much of a difference, couple of fps.

Last edited:
Associate
Soldato
just got word that the asus6950 i bought off my mate has arrived at my house :D

YAY!!!! \o/ can't wait to get tinkering with it tonight woop!!!!

another friend has the same (asus 6950 2gb ref cooler) card and he's flashed his to the 6970 saphire bios and says it's working great but from all this reading i am a bit iffy and not sure whether to flash or unlock and overclock.... hummm, flashing seems like the most straight forward option as it sets all the volts etc up for you? so if i were to just unlock and overclock i would have to set he volts myself? not too sure about that xP

Associate
D695ACNFC at overclockers.co.uk I'm thinking of buying this. Does anyone know if this will unlock?
And does it have a dual bios? That would make me much more confident.

Some of the stuff in this thread is scary. I'm not sure how risky this flash will be...

It would *probably* flash, but if it is a newer revision then there is a possibility that it wouldn't so I don't think that there is any way of telling. Personally I wouldn't flash to a 6970, this caused some artefacting for me, but instead just unlock the shaders + overclock away!

Associate
I was wondering if anybody on here has had the same as me. I have a pair of sapphire 6950 bios flashed to 6970, they have been running well now for a couple of months. I have tried to overclock them then run unigine heaven bench mark, and have found the more you put the clock speeds up the lower the score goes down. At standard 6970 clocks i have a score of 2665 at 4AA and a resolution of 1680x1050.
Had to push to a max overclock to get anywhere near that score, a score of 2625, These cards seem to have a sweetspot.

Lum

Lum

Soldato
That level of difference is tiny and can be explained by Windows doing different stuff in the background. You could try rebooting before each benchmark run but there's always going to be some variation.

Lemon2: Yes for £13 more, you may as well get the proper one. The price difference used to be £50+ which made this exercise more worthwhile.

Associate
Hello,

Ok I bought this iteem

XFX ATI Radeon 6950 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

These XFX 6950 are revision 1 models which means they can be unlocked and flashed upto 6970 cards making these a superb bargain.

as listed on the OCUK website, the item i got has no bios flick switch.

I called OCUK and told them that it had no flick switch and they said that it could still be flashed? is this so?

Can i return the item as i only got it on Saturday?

I might just get me a pair of 460's SLI if i cant flash this :mad:

Soldato
max51 if you push the ram too high it will reduce your score. Cards have eec ram so instead of artifacts on screen the cards run the data again to correct themselves so it hinders performance.

1375MHz gave the best score with my cards even though one of them would run it at 1500Mhz.

Associate
Back
Top Bottom