• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unlock your ATI 6950 to a 6970 Thread

Associate
I would do some further reading before you flash with a new bios. I had understood that the modify bios was safer and more stable because it retains the 6950 memory timings / voltages. I modified my bios with the wizard script and am able to run 6970 shaders at 900 Core / 1400 mem and 1.15v. I managed to get it up to 950 core with 1.175v which was fine for benching but not good for games.

Carl

Associate
HELP!!!! I tried flashing my HIS 6950 to 6970 and yes I've messed it up won't boot. I've tried booting from another card and using my original saved bios still nothing. Any help at all would be very much appreciated

Associate
Thanks for replying, Nope no dual bios it's a HIS 6950 ice turbo unfortunately I hadn't read ahead and considered the risks. I've flashed cards before with no probs this one just refuses to accept it's original bios. I'm just flashing in a dos cmd in windows any other suggestions or another bios I can try. So far I've tried 5 different bios with no success

Caporegime
Thanks for replying, Nope no dual bios it's a HIS 6950 ice turbo unfortunately I hadn't read ahead and considered the risks. I've flashed cards before with no probs this one just refuses to accept it's original bios. I'm just flashing in a dos cmd in windows any other suggestions or another bios I can try. So far I've tried 5 different bios with no success

Cry and RMA :p

Associate
I've cried and moved on you live and learn never again I really felt like launching my case out of the window last night. Just not worth the risk for a few more fps I need another card any suggestions? Budget of upto £300 I always used to buy nvidia but last two cards ATI

Permabanned
No offence but its really stupid to flash a card you've just bought without the dual bios switch. You may be lucky to RMA it if they find out its been flashed.

Lum

Lum

Soldato
If you have another graphics card, you could try booting with that card in the primary PCI slot, just to get the system booting, and then running atiflash.

Associate
No offence but its really stupid to flash a card you've just bought without the dual bios switch. You may be lucky to RMA it if they find out its been flashed.
I've flashed cards from way back n5900xt and a couple of others dual bios never existed then and have never had any probs but you live and learn never again unless dual bios

Associate
I tried this before with my Asus DirectCU II 6950 and had no success unless I done something wrong.

Followed a guide on TechPowerUp, loading the bios through atiwinflash which returned the ID mismatch error. I then tried the command prompt method. Windows loaded however the GPU was not detected AFAIK. GPU-Z shown blank results for all boxes and resolution was set to a max of 1400x1050.

I'm thinking the problem was caused by either:
1) The failed attempt at flashing via atiwinflash caused some sort of problem with the bios meaning the attempt straight after it via command prompt failed
2) Something went wrong when I accidentally missed off the "0" in "atiwinflash -f -p 0 unlock.bin" before retyping it in correctly.

Either way, I still received a "verified" message when the flash complete. TechPowerUp statistics show the Asus DirectCU II 6950 has a 97.5% success rate at unlocking and working fine.

All was fine anyways, flipped the switch on dual-bios (thank god for this!) and everything has returned back to normal. I guess I will flash the pos.2 bios with the backup I made and shall try again later on in the day to see if it will work again.

Associate
Just a update, got my money back on the sapphire dual fan which was confirmed dodgy (and didnt unlock) ordered a powercolor hd6950 twin fan looks like the same one overclockers are selling, unlocked it within a minute using the RBE method perfect, matched 6970 clocks aswell! Lovely

Back
Top Bottom