• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Unlock your ATI 6950 to a 6970 Thread

Associate
Did as he sayed but no luck, its got the switch on the card, but it didnt have a unlocked bios on it unfortunetly.
The tick box for the 6970 shaders on the RBE was already ticked as well. I also did it the same way am the video link from the above page as well.

Caporegime
Not sure then mate, I just flicked my switch and It was done, a 5second job.

As was mentioned several times in your threads just having a BIOS switch doesn't mean it will unlock.

In your case you were lucky it did.

For most cards the second BIOS has to be flashed to unlock the extra shaders and even that's far from guaranteed with current versions of the HD 6950.

And even those cards where the second BIOS is already set to unlock the shaders it doesn't always do it. The GPU may have been laser cut or possibly it has some faults so has been "downgraded" to a HD 6950.

Caporegime
As I posted I said "If you have the switch" I know I'm a lucky one, I did say if meaning he might not

That wasn't my point.

The card having a dual BIOS switch doesn't automatically mean it will unlock either by flicking the switch or by flashing the second BIOS.

It's not as simple as that.

Associate
For some reason the power consumption has increased disproportionate after unlocking the shaders ONLY. Can't think of any reason unless the second BIOS has different power profiles. I will probably measure the voltages directly on the card to see if there is a difference.

Associate
I heard a rumour that 6950's being shipped now may have the hardware fuses blown so the extra shaders can no longer be unlocked by flashing the BIOS, so may be best to buy one asap to try and get one that will work ...

Associate
Just tried the switch on my sapphire (just purchased) "Dual Fan", turned off, flicked switch, turned on, shaders = 1536.

Now how do i up the speed, my copy of CCC (version 11.12) only lets me increase to 840MHz & 1250HMz.

Thanks.

Man of Honour
Late to the party here. I unlocked the shaders on my sapphire dual fan 6950 yesterday. Dual bios switch worked no problem. I'm clocked at 925 and 1380 and played a couple of hours of BF3 at that.

Haven't really played with clocks and voltages much (did up the volts slightly but can't recall what). Is there a sweet spot I should be trying to get to on the clocks?

Caporegime
Edit: It did work, but only after two reboots for some reason :).

ehz.png

Last edited:
Associate
Brand new VTX3D 6950 ordered Dec/11. Shaders unlocked fine, now benching at 950Core/1400Mem 6200 3D11 P Score.

Defo not any new hardware changes because the same card which I ordered 10 months ago would not unlock no matter what.

Carl

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom