**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Fuel economy might be a consideration, but if the original tyres got 36k out of them, thats pretty good. Just get the same again? Else you might end up with a set of tyres that gets you an extra 2-3mpg, but wear out after 10-15k, and you'll lose any fuel efficiency savings you might have had with having to replace the tyres quicker. So long as you have been happy with the performance of the tyres that is.

Associate
Fuel economy might be a consideration, but if the original tyres got 36k out of them, thats pretty good. Just get the same again? Else you might end up with a set of tyres that gets you an extra 2-3mpg, but wear out after 10-15k, and you'll lose any fuel efficiency savings you might have had with having to replace the tyres quicker. So long as you have been happy with the performance of the tyres that is.

yeah they certainly lasted well, though I've no idea what the norm is for tyres surviving. As mentioned I'm just looking the best bang for buck over the long term, if the Hankook's lasted a lot longer than one would expect, I'm happy to go same again. What sort of price is it to get all the tyres replaced, did a quick check on kwik fit and it was 300 to get all replaced, 70 something per tyre then extra like wheel balancing and apparently valves are expensive!

Am I best going brand new? I've heard people mentioning second hand tyres but cannot imagine that working out great?

Soldato
Have a look here: https://www.camskill.co.uk/m53b0s41...yres_-_15_inch_R15_inch_-_185_60_15_185_60R15

Hankooks seem to be around the £45-50 mark in that size. You will then need them fitted, at around £10-15 a corner, maybe at these sizes it might be little difference ordering fully fitted from blackcircles though. I had Goodyear Efficientgrip on my 5 series and they were on well over 40k when I put it back, so it might be worth considering. They are £55 in that size (£262.70 fully fitted from blackcircles, Hankooks are slightly more than this fitted from there). Michelin are usually quite hard wearing tyres too, but they are up closer to £65 a corner.

Soldato
yeah they certainly lasted well, though I've no idea what the norm is for tyres surviving. As mentioned I'm just looking the best bang for buck over the long term, if the Hankook's lasted a lot longer than one would expect, I'm happy to go same again. What sort of price is it to get all the tyres replaced, did a quick check on kwik fit and it was 300 to get all replaced, 70 something per tyre then extra like wheel balancing and apparently valves are expensive!

Am I best going brand new? I've heard people mentioning second hand tyres but cannot imagine that working out great?

It’s always difficult to figure out which tyres to go for, I tend to look at reviews from auto bild and choose ones from the middle of the pack,

I ran continental premium contact 2 on my fiesta as OEM, the fronts lasted 23k and the rears are still on at 33k with about 3-4mm. Tyre size 195 55 15

I switched to Dunlop Sportresponse Blu on the front, they are better than the Continental, but poor wear still, I’ve done about 10k miles with them and fronts are down to about 4-5 so I bet I get similar 20k ish out of them.

Plus annoyingly my tyre size is about £10 extra per corner over the more popular sizes.

Don
I ran continental premium contact 2 on my fiesta as OEM, the fronts lasted 23k and the rears are still on at 33k with about 3-4mm. Tyre size 195 55 15

I switched to Dunlop Sportresponse Blu on the front, they are better than the Continental, but poor wear still, I’ve done about 10k miles with them and fronts are down to about 4-5 so I bet I get similar 20k ish out of them.

I wouldn't call 20k poor wear!

Associate
jeez this stuff is as clear as mud! Thank you everyone for the links.

Just to clear this up, you should not go for a wider and much higher grade of tyre to aid fuel economy?

Terrible idea to go for second-hand tyres?

Called into a local place today, was quoted 160 to replace all the tyres with a budget set...they didn't say what those were avanti for 220, they said michelin were 80 a tyre. Other option is to order myself and they'll charge 40 to fit them all.

What does everyone else generally do? Order separately and have a place fit them?

Man of Honour
Order online, make use of cashback schemes or credit card incentives etc.

Then get a mobile tyre guy to come round your house to fit them. Make him and yourself a cup of tea, enjoy a bit of a chat which will likely revolve around the weather and if it's been a busy morning etc, hand over some cash and go back indoors.

It doesn't get any easier than that.

Wider tyres have greater rolling resistance, so fuel economy is slightly decreased.

Associate
Order online, make use of cashback schemes or credit card incentives etc.

Then get a mobile tyre guy to come round your house to fit them. Make him and yourself a cup of tea, enjoy a bit of a chat which will likely revolve around the weather and if it's been a busy morning etc, hand over some cash and go back indoors.

It doesn't get any easier than that.

Wider tyres have greater rolling resistance, so fuel economy is slightly decreased.

thank you kindly, that has cleared things up a lot. Looked mostly at blackcircles and kwik fit, any other retailers I should look at?

Mobster
Soldato
Man of Honour
Thanks mate, I had a look at the Michelin CrossClimate+ which seem to be fairly low noise and are supposedly superb. My issue is that my Mazda2 specifies 185/55R15/82V tires and the CrossClimate+ are 82H. Does this matter?

Unless you regularly plan on sitting at 120+ mph not particularly

V rating = 149mph
H rating = 130mph

Back
Top Bottom