**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Pilot sport 4.... What the hell?
Drove home just now, sliding all over the shop, was as if there was oil on the road.

No grip at all on some corners.

They used to be fine...

Any recommendations on a better tyre?

Soldato
No. 5-6k old.

I may go back to the junction where I first slide like mad and see if anything is on the road. It was as if I was on ice!

Soldato
Ironically as spring & summer now approach I'm looking at winter tyres for winter 2019/2020 :p A set of rep's was not much more than a refurb so I have a spare set of rims to put to use in the winter.

Currently running PS4's in 225/35/19 and 255/30/19, with less available options in those profiles and a little arch gap left it seems sensical (and cheaper) to raise the profile slightly to 40 front and 35 rear.

Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme S seem to have good feedback and Camskil currently have £80 cash back (prepaid CC) until the end of March, making a set circa £540 delivered.

Fronts
Rears
Slightly different speed ratings

Last edited:
Soldato
Obviously, not going to go through 200+ pages to see if anybody has ever done this before.

However, I have an old E36 compact 1.9 16V (140). The original tyre spec was 225/55R16.

The tyres that were on her when I bought her (For only £300) were Chinese crap. I have always hated them but since they still had tread I was also always a bit Yorkshireman too and wanted to wear them down a bit before replacing them and since I am not a hoon any more I thought I could get away with it. :p

Anyway, last week I just got too fed up really. (Fishtailing on a dry road by using kickdown at 25, really! :mad: )

They were also horrible and noisy and tended to "Follow the road" so irregular road surfaces meant a constant struggle.

Aaaanyway,

My Tyre Guy (Who I have known for decades) basically suggested that not only should I go for Goodyear "Winter" tyres since I only do a very low annual mileage (So summer wear isnt a problem and the performance would be excellent all year round) but that I should also go to 205/55's on the grounds that the original spec are actually too wide for the wheel/chassis.

And he was spot on.

Car is transformed out of all recognition.

Really! :cool: :cool: :cool:

I dont know if this is the case across the E36 board. And I also dont know how much of this is simply that I now have a decent set of tyres and/or the reduced dimensions of said tyres.

But I would say that anybody with an E36 compact with the 16" sports wheels really should consider this.

HTH

Caporegime
Seems a very strange thing to do.

Slap winters on it all year round for the few cold weeks. Even though wear isn't an issue due to low mileage they're still going to perform much worse than all seasons or summer tyres for 90% of the miles you do.

Soldato
should the recommendation be: all-season tyres instead?
you'd get less performance and more wear (and higher fuel consumption due to higher rolling resistance) by using winter tyres during summer

probably wants more custom out of you :p

We can debate the winter tyre choice, however

Grip is excellent, wear is not an issue. These will time out and perish well before I wear them down to the limit (Really, I only do a couple of thousand miles/year these days and I have three vehicles!)

Anyway, the main issue is the one regarding the change in profile.

As far as I can see, it has made an immense difference in handling and performance.

The other snippets of information are just for interest.

:p

Soldato
Sounds like he wanted to get shot of the overstock he had in 205/55R16 winters so they weren't cluttering his workshop until November

Associate
Sounds like he wanted to get shot of the overstock he had in 205/55R16 winters so they weren't cluttering his workshop until November
This.

Michelin do good deals on their summer biased cross climates, you would have been much better off with those and still be mostly able to move in the winters.

Don't get me wrong, I have winter TS860 on my 3 series - they are fantastic in the wet and obviously on snowy or greasy roads, but the dry performance is nowhere near a decent summer tyre. Braking is good, but traction is... a bit of an issue.

It was great fun looking at people's shocked faces as I drove around in what seemed to be the only RWD car on the road during the few snowy days. :D

Back
Top Bottom