**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Previously running 225/35/19 @ 36psi and 255/30/19 @ 42 psi (BMW 335i E92).

Winters have just gone on in 235/40/19 and 255/35/19.

I can't find anything definitive as to the recommended pressure, given the higher profile I was thinking of running 34 / 40 but would welcome suggestions.

I will of course monitor wear etc.

Man of Honour
Moving to a wider tyre for winter tyres also seems completely illogical, too

As I was just posting in another thread lot of factors to that - moving from a standard narrower tyre to a wider standard tyre for winter would be daft unless you expect to be on soft ground a lot - but some wider tyres designed for more extreme conditions can be overall better than narrower ones, etc.

Soldato
I know big chains tend to get bad rep but ATS Euromaster really didn't provide a good service with the recent tyre change.

Gave me a date for 28 Oct then phoned me saying they can only get tyres in on 1st November. Turn up (45 minute, 18 mile round trip), they put the car on the ramp, take all the wheels off only to find one tyre has been delivered instead of four. Say I can come back later in the day but next day works better so agree on that. Close to hour and a half wasted with the driving.

20 minutes later get told they can now only get them on Tuesday the 4th. I mean it's just some run of the mill sized BF Goodrichs but sure if it takes that long.

After the change noticed that one valve cap is missing but whatever at that point, was in a rush so only noticed after I drove to York.

Topped up the tyres today and noticed that a Honda centre cap is missing from one of the alloys, could ge a coincidence but they were the last to touch the wheels. Also one of the tyres was at 27psi after just over a week when rest were 30/31 so some kind of a leak already.

Guess time to see what I can get out the complaints department.

Man of Honour
Apt thread to post this I guess, I need this!

Arguably a digital torque reading is more accurate than a mechanical one which needs calibration, and varies in accuracy sometimes wildly based on the price of the wrench you use.

Soldato
Noticed Uniroyal have released their rainsport5 range. My E39 came with the rainsport 3 and have been happy with them, the fronts and rears still have 6.5 and 5.5mm left respectively. I may try the 5 when the need arises.

Man of Honour
Would you guys go for Conti Sport Contact 6 or Michelin Pilot Sport 4? For a C43. They are the same price so happy to go with the best tyre. I know a few people rave about the PS4's but I've currently got the Sport Contact 6 on the car and they've been no issue

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Would you guys go for Conti Sport Contact 6 or Michelin Pilot Sport 4? For a C43. They are the same price so happy to go with the best tyre. I know a few people rave about the PS4's but I've currently got the Sport Contact 6 on the car and they've been no issue
Michelins will last longer. If they're the same price, it's a no brainer.

Soldato
I can get either;

Michelin Pilot 4 XL - 235/40/18 - £400 fitted and balanced
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 XL - 235/40/18 - £360 fitted and balanced

Volvo S60 diesel so not exactly a hot hatch or anything. Any reason I shouldn't just get the cheaper set?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I can get either;

Michelin Pilot 4 XL - 235/40/18 - £400 fitted and balanced
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 XL - 235/40/18 - £360 fitted and balanced

Volvo S60 diesel so not exactly a hot hatch or anything. Any reason I shouldn't just get the cheaper set?
Both are excellent but the Michelins will last longer, which may be useful on a fwd diesel.

Back
Top Bottom