**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Man of Honour
How good are the PS4S's over the winter if you've not got a set of winter wheels and need to run them all year round? Not the idea situation i know.
On my car...terrible (rwd) in the snow.
In the cold...it's okay

Last edited:
Soldato
How good are the PS4S's over the winter if you've not got a set of winter wheels and need to run them all year round? Not the idea situation i know.
In snow they are, as expected, pretty poor. In general, day-to-day cold/wet conditions they are perfectly fine. My experience of them is on an F80 M3. PSS in a M135i was basically the same...maybe they were a tiny bit worse in the cold/wet, but you drive to the conditions and they're fine.

Soldato
The stock Goodyear Eagle F1 all-seasons it came with
In this case I'm unsurprised. MPS4S is first and foremost a UUHP tyre, arguably part of this newly created niche of "not quite a track tyre, but better for track than your regular UHP tyre" and therefore its construction and characteristics, and also performance, are completely different to an all season.

Your comparison is also unfair...not apples for apples. A parallel would be like saying "has anyone noticed how much worse your lateral grip is with these Goodyear all-seasons compared to the MPS4S?"

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Michelin PS4. Last forever and are excellent tyres, unlike those Bridgestones.
About to buy new rears for my commuting E-Class, what would you expect from the PS4 when you say that they last ages? The last set of Michelins which i had on the car were MPSS which didnt last very long at all, so i am a little scarred with Michelin! :) They are 50% more expensive than Dunlop/Goodyear UHPs so they seem hard to justify.

Soldato
At what condition/temperature do you require snow tires? I'm on Uniroyal rs3 for the E39 and wasn't planning on getting winter tires as I live just outside the city where it rarely snows but temps can dropped to 2C

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
How long did the MPSS last ?

Not well at all, <10-12k miles which translates to ~5 months. My last set of Eagle F1 AS5 (rears) were gone at around 20 i think, nearly twice the life.

The current pair on there are Continental CSC5s which came on a replacement set of alloys with "fairly good" tread, i have done 15k miles on them since installing them and they are as good as done now, so i suppose they seem on a par with the Eagle F1s...

mjt

mjt

Soldato
About to buy new rears for my commuting E-Class, what would you expect from the PS4 when you say that they last ages? The last set of Michelins which i had on the car were MPSS which didnt last very long at all, so i am a little scarred with Michelin! :) They are 50% more expensive than Dunlop/Goodyear UHPs so they seem hard to justify.
I got 35,000 miles out of the front set of MPSS in my 2.0 C6 A6. The rears have around 5mm left after 40,000 miles.

How did you only get 10-12k out of a set? :eek:

At what condition/temperature do you require snow tires? I'm on Uniroyal rs3 for the E39 and wasn't planning on getting winter tires as I live just outside the city where it rarely snows but temps can dropped to 2C
When the road is covered in snow.
LOL. This, though. They're more grippy under 6C, but they'll be less grippy above that.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not well at all, <10-12k miles which translates to ~5 months. My last set of Eagle F1 AS5 (rears) were gone at around 20 i think, nearly twice the life.

The current pair on there are Continental CSC5s which came on a replacement set of alloys with "fairly good" tread, i have done 15k miles on them since installing them and they are as good as done now, so i suppose they seem on a par with the Eagle F1s...
Strange as I’ve done 20k on the rears on my M3

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I got 35,000 miles out of the front set of MPSS in my 2.0 C6 A6. The rears have around 5mm left after 40,000 miles.

How did you only get 10-12k out of a set? :eek:
I really dont know (i appear to be lagging you lot, annoying with doing such high mileage!), the car is quite heavy, i guess, (1865kg quick check on parkers, ~300hp). Although i dont think that i drive too aggressively, i do live in the countryside and drive fast around country lanes with a generally quite "Londony" driving style as i drive there nearly daily. Motorway mileage is fairly congested with stop start.

My usual perceived (i admit that i do not track this very accurately) is in the region of 20k rears and 40k fronts which i have always felt fairly good. I am surprised to see people getting 30k miles from rears, i have never got anything like that from any of my cars. I clearly need to tone it down a little, or perhaps its my car choices. :p

Back
Top Bottom