**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
What size? £62.50 per corner fitted seems a right bargain! Is the manufacturing date 1993? :p
Goodyear 235/40 R18 Y (95) EAGLE F1 (ASYMMETRIC 5) XL
They seem to average around £100 a corner fitted at that size, so glad I didn't pull the trigger and buy them last week :)

I think I get 2% cashback on my Costco membership too! Oooshh!

Underboss
update

Bought 4x Cross Climate + this year, just end of August season
so far they are fantastic

i commute from 5:30am so Icy conditions, and my god these are so much better than summer tires, handling has increased 10 fold
these love cold weather !

very happy i made the switch
just want it to snow now (ive always dreaded driving in snow!)

Soldato
Have to say, might end up going down the route ShiWarrior has gone, I too do a lot of early (5:30am) commutes in the Pennines, lots of wet roads etc. and judging by another excellent video, which finally addresses wet/dry braking in different temperatures.

It seems the best bet is an all season for me personally!

Soldato
And then proceeds to pick a PremiumContact as the "best" summer tyre...
/facepalm
It's a pretty decent (if somewhat fast-wearing) summer tyre though, and at least demonstrates the general differences between a summer tyre and an all-season/winter in controlled conditions.

What I think this test is lacking is data on how the tyre temperature affects performance. I often find that, even on very cold days around 0-2 degrees C, whilst the tyres are of course very cold to begin with, after a few miles at main road speed they've warmed up to >10 degrees. I would be interested to know what the tyre temperatures themselves were when conducting these tests.

Man of Honour
/facepalm

Which they always do, they never bother to use a UHP tyre. I don't care how a PremiumContact performs because I don't fit them to my cars.

I run ContiWinterContact TS860P on one car and Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 3 on the other. I like to therefore think I am not biased when it comes to tyre views - and I still maintain that a good UHP tyre is all most people ever need in winter.

Soldato
20% off Demon Tweeks on ebay is making some of their tyres very cheap.

Just bought a set of Toyo TR1's for £166 for my winter hack. I've had a couple of sets of the older T1R's in the past and they were good for the money, the TR1's are supposed to be a lot better though. Anyone had any experience with them?

Soldato
/facepalm
In fairness the test vehicle was a Golf with 16" wheels and 205/55 tyres, AFAIK you can't even get Pilot Sport 4S in that size can you? (genuine question) so while it may not have been the best summer tyre it was the best one Continental make in that size, and arguably the best summer tyre in that size.

Yes they could have used a Porsche with 19" wheels for the test, but then they might not have been able to get the other tyres in that size, plus the test wouldn't have been as useful to as many people as most people don't have big wheels.

Sho

Sho

Soldato
I'm after new tyres. So whats the go to tyres these days. Currently have Dunlop Sport Blu Response on.

Tyre size are 205/55/16

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
20% off Demon Tweeks on ebay is making some of their tyres very cheap.

Just bought a set of Toyo TR1's for £166 for my winter hack. I've had a couple of sets of the older T1R's in the past and they were good for the money, the TR1's are supposed to be a lot better though. Anyone had any experience with them?
Oh rather a nice tip there,

Toyo Proxes Sport Performance Road Car Tyres

Are these a reasonable tyre? The price is good with the 20% off code. £124 for the pair for my rears which are getting a bit past where i should be taking them really. That is a lot cheaper than the usual suspects.

Edit: Being lolled at elsewhere for considering these...apparently not good :(

Last edited:
Underboss
I'm after new tyres. So whats the go to tyres these days. Currently have Dunlop Sport Blu Response on.

Tyre size are 205/55/16

Been using those dunlop for years, but I find them noisy , not 68db at all (205/55/17) I was going to get Michelin pilot sports (used them on my old clio sport) much better, but I switched to cross climate Plus now and very happy with them

Depends on your needs, summer only get pilot sport 4, all season get cross climates

Sho

Sho

Soldato
How much do you want to spend?
What car is it going on?
What sort of driving do you do?
Were you happy with the Dunlops?
Drive an Auris. I do mixture of motorway driving and local. M60 and M56 to work (17M) and rest is local drving.
Yea im happy with them. They can be load at times. Thats my only draw back

Back
Top Bottom