**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Question: i had two tyres fitted at kwik fit a few weeks ago. Since then i’ve done about 200 miles. I read that you should have your wheels torqued after 50 miles?! Is that true? I definitely wasn’t told that in the shop.

Don
Question: i had two tyres fitted at kwik fit a few weeks ago. Since then i’ve done about 200 miles. I read that you should have your wheels torqued after 50 miles?! Is that true? I definitely wasn’t told that in the shop.
I've never torqued them, however I always check that they are at least tight, and all present* following anything that may have involved the wheels being off.

(*When I had an Audi A3 it had a habit of losing wheel bolts for some reason)

Soldato
Yes, I've said in this thread before, they do wear quicker than the competition, they also have a lower starting tread depth. But the grip is fantastic. :)

It’s only on a 320d so while it doesn’t technically need the best grip, I did want better wet grip + wet braking + aqua resistance.

No other tyres really came close. 19 inch wheels are quite expensive

Might swap them out for 18 when these tyres are done for.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Yay. :mad:

PXL-20240527-113003069.jpg

V_R

V_R

Soldato
They seem good. Not sure about a comparison yet, I've done around 2500-3000 miles on the SC7's now and they seem fine. Need to get on a track and put them to the real test. :D

Caporegime
Another Black Circles flash sale on Michelin. Code FLASH15 for 15% off.
Save 15% off Michelin Tyres
Limited Time Offer
Get Summer road trip ready with unmissable deals on our most popular tyres!

Interested? Use the code below to save money on your next order:

FLASH15 – for 15% off all Michelin tyres

Make sure you don’t miss out. Offer ends – 29/05/2024 at 08:00

Man of Honour

Most of my friends and family etc. over the years have just made sure they are tight, never bothered with torquing them and never had an issue. Personally I always torque mine to spec and/or check after someone else has done it. One of my ex-colleagues partners was nearly killed a couple of months ago when the mechanic they used either forgot or couldn't be bothered to put the wheel nuts on properly on one wheel.

Soldato
Picking up my 630D GT xdrive tomorrow. It has Pirelli P Zeros on it.

I’ve always had low powered hatchbacks and stuck all season good quality tyres on them like Michelin Cross Climate.

The BMW has 245/40/R20 tyres. Looking online there doesn’t seem to be many all season tyres, just summers and winters. As well it basically seems Pirelli P Zero and Michelin PS4S are the best summer tyres.

I live in Essex, some winters we get no snow. I commute mainly dual carriageway and motorways, but I do live in a rural village and so getting in and out of the village I do go on country roads that are icy.

Can I get away with having P Zeros or PS4S all year around with the xdrive? I won’t be driving it like a loon when it’s icy.

Really I’m just looking for tyre suggestions because I’ve never had a car before where I couldn’t just get good quality all seasons and not care.

Last edited:
Soldato
Most of my friends and family etc. over the years have just made sure they are tight, never bothered with torquing them and never had an issue. Personally I always torque mine to spec and/or check after someone else has done it. One of my ex-colleagues partners was nearly killed a couple of months ago when the mechanic they used either forgot or couldn't be bothered to put the wheel nuts on properly on one wheel.
I defo check mine if I know wheels have been off. Either by myself or a garage. With a garage they either are not tight enough, or, too tight. Both obviously are bad. Too loose and that wheel is coming off. Too tight and you risk sheering or stretching the bolts beyond their limit. Everyone really should invest in a decent torque wrench. A torque wrench is for life not just Christmas. :cry:

mjt

mjt

Soldato

I’ve always had low powered hatchbacks and stuck all season good quality tyres on them like Michelin Cross Climate.

The BMW has 245/40/R20 tyres. Looking online there doesn’t seem to be many all season tyres, just summers and winters. As well it basically seems Pirelli P Zero and Michelin PS4S are the best summer tyres.

I live in Essex, some winters we get no snow. I commute mainly dual carriageway and motorways, but I do live in a rural village and so getting in and out of the village I do go on country roads that are icy.

Can I get away with having P Zeros or PS4S all year around with the xdrive? I won’t be driving it like a loon when it’s icy.

Really I’m just looking for tyre suggestions because I’ve never had a car before where I couldn’t just get good quality all seasons and not care.
Honestly, I'd just leave what's on there if they're not too far gone. 4wd with summer tyres helps a little bit in snow, but 2wd and winter wheels will beat it hands down. If you're that concerned and have somewhere to store them, buy a set of cheap 18" wheels with proper winters and swap them over.

Alternatively, buy a set of smaller wheels and all season tyres.

Soldato

I think you can get cross climates 2 in that size. What is the 630d GT putting out power wise, 260ish bhp? My dad uses hankook all seasons on 250bhp awd suv. Had no issues if that helps at all. We're up north like so I doubt Essex ever gets that bad...?

Soldato
I think you can get cross climates 2 in that size. What is the 630d GT putting out power wise, 260ish bhp? My dad uses hankook all seasons on 250bhp awd suv. Had no issues if that helps at all. We're up north like so I doubt Essex ever gets that bad...?
I did check the usual tyre websites and couldn’t see any. I’ll do a bit more digging because I am a big fan of cross climates.

Back
Top Bottom