**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

How do Pirelli get marketed as a premium tyre?

I've got Pirelli P7's on my Jaguar XE & they are utter garbage in the wet grip wise & noisy as hell in the dry. The wife's last car (Skoda Octavia) had Pirelli tyres on it & it was the same situation there, noisy in the dry & no grip in the wet, switched to Efficient Grips on the Skoda & hands down better in every area.

They are basically expensive ditch finders, can't wait to bin them & switch to Michelin or Goodyear.

I've got Pirelli P7's on my Jaguar XE & they are utter garbage in the wet grip wise & noisy as hell in the dry. The wife's last car (Skoda Octavia) had Pirelli tyres on it & it was the same situation there, noisy in the dry & no grip in the wet, switched to Efficient Grips on the Skoda & hands down better in every area.

They are basically expensive ditch finders, can't wait to bin them & switch to Michelin or Goodyear.
My dad's 3 Series came with P7s from the factory and I was surprised at how easy it was to slide around in the wet!

Goodyears are usually alright but I've been leaning towards Conti more and more lately, only downside they can wear faster than some.

Interestingly the Goodyear Efficient Grip (Goodyear have a deal with the police) and Conti Premium Contact are quite commonly found on UK emergency service vehicles, especially those being driven to more demanding levels.

well finally done it - albeit not for a while - car booked in for 4 new tyres on the 16th august.

4x goodyear eagle sport All season tyres 245/50VR20 for £776 fitted and balanced.

Seems a good price. (Formula one autocentre)

Some are genuinely terrible but my dad has Pirelli’s on his Cayman GTS and they’re decent.

Some are genuinely terrible but my dad has Pirelli’s on his Cayman GTS and they’re decent.
P-zeros are decent.
P7 in any variety seem to be garbage. I had some in the Cinturato variant. Terrible POS.

I have Pirelli all season SF2 Runflats and grip levels in the wet and dry are actually decent. No horrid tyre squeal either.

afK9fLY.jpg

I'll be going for Goodyear AS6 next though. Don't hate me... I have the awesomely cheap 225 40 18 size.

Last edited:
Update on the SC7's I had fitted at the end of March, they've now done about 3000 miles and this is what they look like, top is fronts bottom is rears. Bare in mind the car has had a 'fast road' geo done by Swift Performance before they were fitted so not running a stock alignment.

Going to swap them round when I get a minute.

Last edited:
For normal use, do SportContact 7 have a good reputation for wear?

I've found Contis tend to wear quicker than the competing tyres, though not hideously so. But personally I'm leaning towards them a lot these days for overall driving performance.

Something I've also found a bit disconcerting, which I've not seen with Contis so far, some of the other brands lately seem to get crazy cracking between the tread blocks prematurely - getting what I'm used to seeing after 7-10 years in 2-3 years. I dunno if due to compound changes or the stresses of heavier, higher centre of gravity vehicles or what.

Last edited:
I've found Contis tend to wear quicker than the competing tyres, though not hideously so. But personally I'm leaning towards them a lot these days for overall driving performance.

Something I've also found a bit disconcerting, which I've not seen with Contis so far, some of the other brands lately seem to get crazy cracking between the tread blocks prematurely - getting what I'm used to seeing after 7-10 years in 2-3 years. I dunno if due to compound changes or the stresses of heavier, higher centre of gravity vehicles or what.

Thanks for the info.

I see that the SportContact 7 is available as a Tesla-approved tyre now, and it’s tempting to switch from the OEM Hankook S1 Venus Evo3s even though they’ve been fantastic and have lasted 30k miles with a bit more still to give.

The problem with the Contis is that they’re only available in Germany at the moment, so if I get a puncture it’s going to be quite painful.

not a specific tyre comment but i will just post that never again will i buy a tyre without alloy rim protection.

since getting my car i have had a few minor scuffs and they protected my rim (they are in really good condition)... but today i proper clonked the kerb (and its a high one as well) thanks to our really narrow car park entrance at work. i was convinced i would have scuffed my alloy, but other than a mark on my rubber tyre wall rim protector, there is no damage at all. very impressed!.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjt
not a specific tyre comment but i will just post that never again will i buy a tyre without alloy rim protection.

since getting my car i have had a few minor scuffs and they protected my rim (they are in really good condition)... but today i proper clonked the kerb thanks to our really narrow car park entrance at work. i was convinced i would have scuffed my alloy, but other than a mark on my rubber tyre wall rim protector, there is no damage at all. very impressed!.
totally agree. Made the mistake once before as they seemed identical to those with rim protector but were cheaper. I soon learned why they were cheaper :(

since getting my car i have had a few minor scuffs and they protected my rim (they are in really good condition)... but today i proper clonked the kerb thanks to our really narrow car park entrance at work. i was convinced i would have scuffed my alloy, but other than a mark on my rubber tyre wall rim protector, there is no damage at all. very impressed!.
Which tyre are you running?

goodyear eagle sport all season. (I am really happy with them but to be fair i am more interested in fuel economy and wear and tear than i am absolute performance - albeit i am not gonna buy Guangdong ditch finders or triangle etc)
Yeah I get that. Same here I don't need mega performance. Just a quality tyre with decent rim protection.

I had a look for those all seasons bit they're not available in my size. Vector 4s are available.

I'll just be going for Asymmetric 6 next.

Goodyear's have good rim protection, one of the things I miss from the AS6 when I got the SC7's.

I do prefer the feel of the AS6 over the SC7 too, the Goodyear's just feel more planted than the Conti, feels like the car moves around more on the SC7.

Conti isn't a bad tyre, but so far I think I'd go back to the AS6, but I need to get on a track again and really push these before my final judgement. :D

Thought I could hold out a bit longer, but my overexuberant driving means the front-right is completely knackered and the rest aren't far behind. It was aquaplaning during an extreme thunderstorm last month so might as well just get them all changed now..

Xh1hJkg.jpeg

Goodyear's have good rim protection, one of the things I miss from the AS6 when I got the SC7's.

I do prefer the feel of the AS6 over the SC7 too, the Goodyear's just feel more planted than the Conti, feels like the car moves around more on the SC7.. :D

Tbf, you do get that moving from most worn tyres to new tyres whatever they are. The car just feels a bit more flobbery for a bit.

Back
Top Bottom