**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Soldato
Yay. :mad:

PXL-20240527-113003069.jpg
Pothole?

V_R

V_R

Soldato
I assume so, yes. I took the car to my local tyre place I use and they said its only a surface cut and that they suggest not to change it.

Man of Honour
Not that it couldn't happen but as well as comfort that is why I try to avoid low profile tyres for general road use - fingers crossed I've not had to replace a tyre/wheel due to pothole damage, despite driving some pretty bad roads, while acquaintances and work colleagues running low profile tyres seem to be doing it all the time :s

Last edited:
Soldato
Not that it couldn't happen but as well as comfort that is why I try to avoid low profile tyres for general road use - fingers crossed I've not had to replace a tyre/wheel due to pothole damage, despite driving some pretty bad roads, while acquaintances and work colleagues running low profile tyres seem to be doing it all the time :s
I agree low profile tyres are not really suitable for our roads .. however it really should not be the case.
my parents BMW doesn't have hugely low profile tyres but lower than mine. on the way to visit me on holiday a few weeks back they hit a pothole at the top of their road hidden by a puddle. it damaged the suspension. they had to walk home (luckily it was near home) and grab my dad's pickup from 1994 that has not done more than 10 miles each way in 20 years and abandon their car for the local garage to pick up .
luckily it made the 200 mile trek.
if we are to accept that are roads are too poor quality for low profile tyres then really it should be an MOT fail and factory fitted tyres should be suitable for the roads

mind you that is putting an unfair burden on car manufacturers I guess. the bottom line is our roads are not fit for purpose depending on your post code lottery.

Soldato
Cheers. Blackcircles had a 10% off code so I went for some Goodyear EF1A6s. Not much choice in that tyre size really - the Continentals were Contisportcontact 5s when I think the latest version are 7s!

Soldato
Chaps etc..,

Need some new 265/35 and 235/40 tyres.

The former I've looked at MPS5 but they are nearly £250 for one tyre which is over my ideal budget.

Would prefer closer to £200 per tyre, seems there is quite a few more options too, conti sport contact 7, pirelli p zero or Goodyear eagle F1?

Not sure what to go for, I'll only be driving primarily in summer and no more than 2 or 3k miles

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Aren't the standard sized 255/35 + 225/40 cheaper?
Just asking for my own learning...is there any reason to run these non-standard sizes?

The conti cs7 is probably best for summer low mileage spirited driving

Last edited:
Soldato
Aren't the standard sized 255/35 + 225/40 cheaper?
Just asking for my own learning...is there any reason to run these non-standard sizes?

The conti cs7 is probably best for summer low mileage spirited driving
I didn't mention what car I had? ;) The sizes I posted are the standard and what's on the car now..

Alpina B10 V8 for reference

Last edited:
Soldato
Chaps etc..,

Need some new 265/35 and 235/40 tyres.

The former I've looked at MPS5 but they are nearly £250 for one tyre which is over my ideal budget.

Would prefer closer to £200 per tyre, seems there is quite a few more options too, conti sport contact 7, pirelli p zero or Goodyear eagle F1?

Not sure what to go for, I'll only be driving primarily in summer and no more than 2 or 3k miles

F1 will be more comfortable. PS5 competitor (UHP)

SC7 will be higher performing. PS4S competitor (UUHP)

Edit: wouldn’t bother with Pirelli

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
2022 Audi Q7, currently on Continental ContiSportContact 5 285/40 R21 109Y XL AO, SUV

What's new in the world of SUV tyres? Any recommendations?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Sport Contact 6 I'd say. Or perhaps go all season, with the All Season Contact 2.
Do the SC6s wear better than the 5s? I've only done 25,000 in these (I have a set of winter wheels & tyres) and they'll already need replacing soon.
Mind you, weighing nearly 3 tonnes won't help the wear rate :p

Soldato
Do the SC6s wear better than the 5s? I've only done 25,000 in these (I have a set of winter wheels & tyres) and they'll already need replacing soon.
Mind you, weighing nearly 3 tonnes won't help the wear rate :p
I think 25k out of a set of tyres from something that heavy is good. :) Looking at Tyre Reviews they are 53% for wear rate vs 51% for the 5's. Continental rate the 6 as Tread Wear 240 but Tread Wear 420 on the 5's. So the 6, in theory, won't last as long but it all depends on how you drive, the vehicle, road conditions, etc. I wouldn't read too much into those figures. But it is a high performance tyre at the end of the day.

Back
Top Bottom