Upcoming Firefox 57 ("Quantum") is twice as fast as Firefox 52

Soldato
Does anybody see an empty area for a brief moment as Firefox loads? Then it adds the buttons. It's quite distracting and Firefox has only done it since version 62.0.

This is with 64-bit Firefox and I have tried disabling all add-ons and a completely new profile but nothing helps so far.

Soldato
A middling article which extols ff (and Apple !) for their anti-cookie stance, does not mention first party isolation,
but does say

Safari is also attacking a technique developed to circumvent cookie deletions. Through "fingerprinting," a company can identify you through your computer's characteristics, such as browser type and fonts installed. Your new cookie can then be tied to your old profile. Safari will now limit the technical details it sends.
None of the Firefox tools, though, address fingerprinting.

so I guess that is the next battle-ground (.... will google start to employ it ?)
(recent thread, was it gd, that virtual machines and vpn's may not circumvent fingerprinting strategy)

edit - afterthought I assume javascript prevents applciations getting nic card unique identitifier, that's a good fingerprint.

edit2:

make its way to the Firefox browser soon.

Tracking slows down the web. In a study by Ghostery, 55.4% of the total time required to load an average website was spent loading third party trackers. For users on slower networks the effect can be even worse…

We will be testing this feature using a shield study in September. If we find that our approach performs well, we will start blocking slow-loading trackers by default in Firefox 63.

– Mozilla

Not only that, Firefox also plans to block Cryptocurrency miners and fingerprint trackers with the upcoming update. The Firefox version 63 update is scheduled to roll out to the public on October 23.

Deceptive practices that invisibly collect identifiable user information or degrade user experience are becoming more common. For example, some trackers fingerprint users — a technique that allows them to invisibly identify users by their device properties, and which users are unable to control. Other sites have deployed cryptomining scripts that silently mine cryptocurrencies on the user’s device. Practices like these make the web a more hostile place to be. Future versions of Firefox will block these practices by default.

– Mozilla

Last edited:
Soldato
About fingerprinting : could not find a good ff anti-measure
interested to see that the BBC were (still are?) using it to track logons - sneaky .... so multiple users on a device could be linked.
I do not understand whether, if the fingerprinting domain site is blocked, this prevents the fingerprint, or, is it just them that provide the code to the site owner ?

link shows some of the fingerprints your device could create https://audiofingerprint.openwpm.com/

44881403751_0864d0caaa_b_d.jpg

Man of Honour
So this latest version of Firefox has broken the way I was disabling auto play videos. The way I was doing it was changing "media.autoplay.enabled" to false in Firefox config. Every update until this latest has carried this setting over but now auto play videos are back and this setting doesn't stop them anymore. I hate auto play videos so is there another way to block them?

Man of Honour
Auto-play videos are annoying as **** unless the page is actually video content like YouTube. There are a variety of plugins that supposedly do it but most just toggle the media.autoplay variable. Guess I'll avoid updating.

Soldato
some people have success with add-ons - it does not seem to toggle.
Why setting media.autoplay to False in about:config does not stop video autoplay in Firefox 61.0.1

I just want an add-on that changes any youtube embed into a simple link that gives the name of the video, alllowing me to click it if I want to see it,
that would make some of the threads on OC, for example , tolerable;
otherwise you just wait (i7q) for a whole sequence of youtube embeds to be rendered, many of which you are not interested in.

Man of Honour
Fixed it, I think (ESPN F1 has stopped auto playing anyway). I have changed the following:-

media.autoplay.allow-extension-background-pages; set from true to false.
media.autoplay.allow-muted; Set from true to false.
media.autoplay.ask-permission; Set from false to true.
media.autoplay.block-event.enabled; Set from false to true.
media.autoplay.enabled; Set from true to false.

Getting fed up with them "fixing" things that don't need fixing and adding more rubbish to it. They are getting almost as bad as Microsoft with Windows 10.

Soldato
I just want an add-on that changes any youtube embed into a simple link that gives the name of the video, alllowing me to click it if I want to see it,
that would make some of the threads on OC, for example , tolerable;
otherwise you just wait (i7q) for a whole sequence of youtube embeds to be rendered, many of which you are not interested in

Do utube embeds not frustrate anyone else ? the wasted screen space , load time, for something that maybe of zero interest,
I subsequently saw someone in the 'best songs' thread made such a comment about its load time.

Man of Honour
I've never had any problems really with loadtimes on youtube embeds unless a thread is absolutely crammed with multiple ones per post for some reason. Rest of the time it is pretty much instant.

Man of Honour
Fixed autoplay vids at last. In about:config find media.autoplay.default and set it to 1. No more autoplay vids. I wish they would enable this as default rather than having to mess around trying to find solutions. They have added the choice of muting autoplay videos but they are still playing so it's pretty pointless. Just turn the damned things off!!

Soldato
My Firefox spell checker is no longer highlighting ? It's a fresh windows install. Chrome highlights words fine - I believe the issue started after most recent FF update. I have checked the about config file to make sure settings are correct , I have added a dictionary to no avail. Windows 10 is set to check spelling as well although I believe the issue is localized to the FF browser

Soldato
My Firefox spell checker is no longer highlighting ? It's a fresh windows install. Chrome highlights words fine - I believe the issue started after most recent FF update. I have checked the about config file to make sure settings are correct , I have added a dictionary to no avail. Windows 10 is set to check spelling as well although I believe the issue is localized to the FF browser

Right click on some text as your typing and make sure check spelling is ticked and your dictionary is selected in languages.

Soldato
Fixed autoplay vids at last. In about:config find media.autoplay.default and set it to 1. No more autoplay vids. I wish they would enable this as default rather than having to mess around trying to find solutions. They have added the choice of muting autoplay videos but they are still playing so it's pretty pointless. Just turn the damned things off!!
You're a star. Came here to work out why I was suddenly seeing autoplaying videos.
ie. Under the 'RECOMMENDED VIDEOS FOR YOU...' section towards the end of this PCG article link that I stumbled across this morning.
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/streamer-frenchtomahawk-launched-a-nuke-in-the-final-fallout-76-beta/

Back
Top Bottom