Upcoming Firefox 57 ("Quantum") is twice as fast as Firefox 52

Soldato
Took me a while to figure out where the native W10 sharing was, only to find out it's hidden in the ... button on the address bar. Not like I'll use it anyway :p.

Not sure I like the new UI for the add-ons and theme page too.

The built in task manager (about: performance) is pretty handy though, although basic.

Soldato
Let's hope Microsoft's move to using Chromium for Edge won't have impacts for Firefox.

Article.

I personally feel as long as Websites and more importantly Chromium remains standard complaint then there is no reason why Firefox will be impacted.

Soldato
I have given up with firefox as I cant use my old addons/extensions anymore with it. Now I use Waterfox and it is basically the same as firefox but faster and I can use my old addons/extensions.

Soldato
Is anybody having issues with some sites, such as https://www.overclockers.co.uk/, showing as grey while loading for around 3 seconds before displaying properly? Clicking on links does the same thing - grey screen for 3 seconds on Firefox while the page loads, then it finally displays.

I've tried disabling all my add-ons. The only thing I haven't yet tried is a new Firefox profile.

Caporegime
Is anybody having issues with some sites, such as https://www.overclockers.co.uk/, showing as grey while loading for around 3 seconds before displaying properly? Clicking on links does the same thing - grey screen for 3 seconds on Firefox while the page loads, then it finally displays.

I've tried disabling all my add-ons. The only thing I haven't yet tried is a new Firefox profile.

Fine here.

Soldato
I'll re-ask my GD question here, twas not the forum
what does the addition of ghostery give you ? if you have cookie isolation on, inside ff ?

I use noscript in ff and ublockO in chrome, but, may start using ublock in FF,

In UblockO, if you enable 3rd party site in one tab - does it get enabled across other tabs ? noscript can't do that
eg ssl-images-amazon.com or even youtube can be a resource hog if enabled globally

OOI Does FF engine have better parallelism options than chrome ? or are they on par;
given discussion about edge, soon using chrome engine I wondered if ff still had an edge here, but googling gave me nothing.

Soldato
For anyone concerned about hardening their browser:

While several people have posted extensions, and a few about:config tweaks, I've not seen the 'full set' covered. Mozilla have a Wiki covering some extra settings you can (should) tweak. Better yet - especially if you want to really harden things, but don't run Tor - is LibreFox. It's essentially the ghacks config file (all privacy/hardening tweaks plus a few performance ones), plus some optional extra stuff. You just download the latest release from Github, extract, and copy/overwrite into your Firefox directory. Simple. If you're worried about breaking your profile or whatever, you can easily download the latest Firefox from Mozilla, extract it to a directory and apply Librefox to that and then run the two separately.

LibreFox doesn't allow cookies, sets all tracking protection to strict, blocks fingerprinting, disables various DOM settings like battery/mouse/screen, and enables isolation etc.

I'd also highly recommend Privacy Possum, uBlock Origin, Nano Defender, Decentraleyes, Local Sheriff, NoScript Security Suite and a cookie manager like Cookie Auto Delete. While I'm stuck on hardened Chromium on Linux (for hardware video acceleration), I use FF65 everywhere else with LibreFox and the extensions listed. Privacy Possum will further protect you from fingerprinting btw; something Badger doesn't do.

Soldato
I'd also highly recommend Privacy Possum, uBlock Origin, Nano Defender, Decentraleyes, Local Sheriff, NoScript Security Suite and a cookie manager like Cookie Auto Delete. While I'm stuck on hardened Chromium on Linux (for hardware video acceleration)
so you use both noscript and ublock origin at the same time/session .. each with their own block lists
.... if you find a site needs additional 3rd parties to work do you have to update both ?

what is your best practice to harden chromium ? (or is that really a lost cause ) - for anti-tracking/fingerprinting in particular
(was reading this about chrome - Google Chrome changes could 'destroy' ad-blockers )

Soldato
Any one tell me if their audio works in this video:

https://skillsmatter.com/skillscasts/13501-writing-an-sbt-plugin

I am on latest version of FF and windows 10 x64 fully patched. Also in Edge on this PC there is no audio.

At work on a Win 7 machine using FF the audio works with not issue.

A google seems to show at one point FF did have an issue with Vimeo and audio but that was years ago.

Soldato
Any one tell me if their audio works in this video:

https://skillsmatter.com/skillscasts/13501-writing-an-sbt-plugin

I am on latest version of FF and windows 10 x64 fully patched. Also in Edge on this PC there is no audio.

At work on a Win 7 machine using FF the audio works with not issue.

A google seems to show at one point FF did have an issue with Vimeo and audio but that was years ago.

Works for me. I'm using Sharks 64 bit codecs on a 64bit Firefox.

Soldato
audio works fine in chrome -'d' option does not show anything specific about audio codec
... I don't use FF for media playback, due to previous issues, those tabs could take resources from other more critical/work tasks.

there's a free tool for showing codec graphs - can't find it now - but can that be used to debug issue ?

Back
Top Bottom