Upgrade Threadripper cooler

Associate
Hi,
I currently have a Corsair H80i V2 AIO cooler on my Threadripper 1950x and want to upgrade to increase my overclock.

Could anyone recommend a good model to upgrade, I ideally would like a 3 rad cooler but wondering if it will fit in my case, probably have to settle for a 2 fan/rad model.

My mobo is an Asus X399-A in a Crosair Obsidian 750 D case.

Thanks!

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info! - excuse my lack of knowledge but would the 280 mm be the better of the two. Since I aleayhave the H80i I guess I have the right bracket also?

Associate
I cant comment on the bracket but the 280 will be the best and should fit in your case at the top or front if can remove the front drive bay

Soldato
AIO that are not CLC are better than CLCs because AIO that are not CLC are actually pre-built and filled low end component systems .. meaning their coolant can be topped up / changed, parts can be changed as needed, etc. With CLCs when anything goes wrong (usually low coolant/pump failure) they are junk.

Have you considered using air cooliong? Assuming case has good airflow, good air coolers cost less and cool just as good usually quiter and definitely last much longer.

Soldato
all good suggestions thanks, are air coolers going to cope with an overclocked threadripper?
There are a few that are every bit as good. Thermalright makes them.

Don't confuse 'AIO' and 'CLC' as being the same thing.

CLC are the hermetically sealed liquid cooling units with no provision for adding coolant or replacing components. These are the vast majority of liquid cooling packages like ones made by Asetek.

AIO have threaded fittings, are preassembled and filled systems that you can top up / change coolant and replace parts as needed. These include be quiet! Silent Loop and several Alphacool Aisbaer pre-assembled and filled kits. Alphacool also sell several kits for owner to assemble. There may be other brands making AIOs that are not CLCs, but I don't know of them.

Soldato
didn't the Enermax Liqtech have a problem with corrosion?
All kinds of problems. Some owners have had 2 replacements because of problems. I would not suggest one to someone I like .. in fact it would only be a suggestiong for someone I truely hate. :p

Associate
OP
I would not suggest one to someone I like

I'd written off the Enermax despite the size of the plate.

the Alphacool looks good, but it would be just to big for my case (with cd drive bay in it)

Looks like the H115i is leading the pack.

Soldato
Below is link to review of some TR4 coolers including including top air (Thermalright Silver Arrrow TR4) that performed almost as good as 360.
ttps://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/09/28/threadripper_air_coolerssilver_arrow_tr4_vs_wraith_ripper/7

Also review of NH-U14S TR4 -SP3 and a couple smaller Noctua coolers.
https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/10/09/noctua_amd_threadripper_air_cooler_roundup/

And Thermalright ARO-M14G
https://hardforum.com/threads/thermalright-aro-m14g-ryzen-am4-cpu-air-cooler-review-h.1968996/
A couple of member here on OcUK are using ARO-M14G or ARO-M14O (last letter is top color).

All of the above coolers have larger bases designed specifically for TR4/AM4 use. I don't know of any CLC with base enlarged/designed to fit on TR4/AM4.

Back
Top Bottom