Upgrade Threadripper cooler

Kei

Kei

Soldato
i guess that was the tDie temp ,without the offset?

60 would be be a great temp to aim for as this machine is going to be rendering 24/7 - I see a few conflicting opnions which confuses the issue - some say 68 tDie (95 with the offset) is the max and throttling will set in and CPU lifespan is potentially reduced.

It would be great to get some more out of this CPU if poss, with current set up don't if I could make it to 3.975GHz / 1.325V though ;)
82 degrees tDie without the offset. tCtl was over 100. (vague recollection of seeing tDie at 112) My system does also have both a Vega 56 and GTX 780 in it too which adds a fair bit of heat. A big part of the problem with the my old EK block and the asetek coolers is that the finned area on the cold plate doesn't cover the whole Die area on the cpu let alone the entire IHS.

I've done some suicide runs on my cpu to see how far it would go and have managed 4.1GHz at 1.5V but it's sketchy at that level and it generates bucket loads of heat.

Associate
OP
My system does also have both a Vega 56 and GTX 780 in it too which adds a fair bit of heat.

Similar with mine - I have 2 x GTX 1080 which did heat up the case as the fans were off a lot of the time - setting GPU fans to run at 50 % helped a lot

Associate
It's on top as an exhaust, didn't put it onthefront as HDD and Blu-Ray drive bays would have been in the way.

Coolant temp is 22.20 on idle and gets up to about 26 under load.

How much difference did moving yours make?

turn it to being an inlet so its getting cool air rather than air heated up by two 1080's.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
If his system is anything like mine, you really don't want to put all the radiators as inlets. This is the temperature of the air coming out of the top of my case through my 480mm radiator whilst gaming. The room ambient was hovering around 25 degrees and the case has 7 intake fans vs 6 exhaust.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
I can't speak for the OP but in my case:

25 degree room ambient
33 degree case ambient
39 degree coolant temp
44 degree case exhaust

Kei

Kei

Soldato
In theory you'd think that, but it actually makes little difference to the cpu/gpu temps but the passively cooled components get roasted as the internal case temperatures skyrocket. The VRM on this gigabyte board gets hot enough and my 10Gig NIC also get's pretty toasty. From what I remember when I tried it early on, the temperatures were actually a tiny bit higher.

It's certainly worth experimenting with though as no two builds are the same and there will always be some that work better with different flow paths.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom