1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US kills Iran's General Soleimani

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Malevolence, 3 Jan 2020.

1. dowie

Capo Crimine

FYI Yadda - despite this being highlighted as false previously:

Some more info for you - see this CNN article from today:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/11/middleeast/iran-strike-al-asad-air-base-exclusive-intl/index.html

[​IMG]

So much for not targeting the US portions of the base - it was as pointed out previously more just that it was a limited attack and the US got their heads down... I'd assumed they'd at least not targeted accommodation given the limited nature of the attack but even that doesn't appear to be the case.

2. Orionaut

Sgarrista

As an aside, In all seriousness, If you travel to Iran and introduce yourself as "Alexander" You will get funny looks and even a degree of hostility to go with it.

"Long time to hold a grudge"! Decades are nothing. Grudges are still live and well (And bitter) in the ME millennia after the event.

This is one of the things that western governments have consistently failed to comprehend the significance of....

3. Rroff

Man of Honour

Agreed on that - probably something I'm guilty of as well - but having an Egyptian brother in law and some general experience of the area I can appreciate it to some extent.

4. RoboCod

Capodecina

Far from it, I'm just looking at the situation pragmatically.

Why does everything have to be so red and blue these days, have we slipped into the US political mindset so much now?...
    Offer a view that doesn't criticise Trump? TRUMP SUPPORTER!
    Don't want Corbyn in power? BABY KILLING TORY SUPPORTER!
    Criticise Iran for shooting down a civilian plane? YOU LOVE ISRAEL AND HATE MUSLIMS!

Why not try answering my poignant question instead? I despair.

5. dowie

Capo Crimine

It’s the age of the numpty, politics has gotten rather polarised and the numpties can’t deal with nuance - everything is just binary... say anything about something Trump related that doesn’t include a specific disclaimer that you think Trump is a numpty and you can be accused of supporting him. No room for Trump is a numpty but this might actually pay off for him etc...

Make sure you have the right opinion on Brexit too, people get very jaded over that one.

6. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

They arrest the British ambassador, but let him go 3 hours later. It gets more and more comical.

7. robgmun

Capodecina

The more time going on, it seems they are self-destructing! US only had to kill one person and the Irainain house cards are folding!

8. ianh

Soldato

I agree. I mean if you think back to when you were a child then most things were black and white, and it's only when people get older and become more mature that most of them realise that the world is actually a multi-faceted "many shades of grey" one instead - That "maturity" phase where you leave that child-like naivety behind seems like it's less popular in current times it looks like to me, and thats effecting both both sides.

Thats not to call the people themselves "childish", but just to point out that this one single facet of how some approach maturity seems to have changed and is now more widespread now compared to how it happened to the majority of my generation, leaving respectful discourse very hard to find.

9. CaptainRAVE

Man of Honour

Whilst regime change will never happen, can you imagine trump if it did. He’s already insufferable!

10. dowie

Capo Crimine

It's pretty ridiculous, they generally hate the British diplomatic presence, unlike the US we still maintain and embassy over there and the Iranians are very much irritated by the diplomatic property the UK has in Tehran - we've got a compound with like 50 acres of gardens etc... where diplomats are housed - all a gift from a former Iranian monarch back in the days of the empire.

He'd take all the credit for sure, ego would grow enormously.

11. Nasher

Capodecina

The property Iran has next to Kensington Gardens is probably worth far more than the one we have in Iran. In Tehran we have a small Oasis in the middle of a dump.

Last edited: 12 Jan 2020
  12. darkgen

Mobster

Some news outlets are suggesting a branch of the IRGC militia are amassing outside the British embassy in Tehran demanding it be closed.

13. Nasher

Capodecina

Not sure the IRGC completely have the backing of the Iranian public right now. So probably won't go anywhere.

14. StriderX

Caporegime

Lol, they never did. They just have to tread more carefully, though i'm not actually sure how big this protest is, the authorities appear to be cautious.

Last edited: 12 Jan 2020
  15. dowie

Capo Crimine

Lol basically any time they have unrest it’s apparently the fault of the British stirring things up.... nothing to do with the regime being a complete **** stain and provoking plenty of unrest/protests organically regardless of any efforts by the West/NGOs or whoever they want to get paranoid about.

16. Nasher

Capodecina

It's like how Russia blames the CIA for all of their **** ups. Can't possibly admit they are at fault for anything, ever!

17. jpaul

Capodecina

they/iran gave their version (bbc reporting twitter exchanges), the ambassadors an idiot, if having seen previous forays he attended this ..vigil seems somewhat faux indignation by the UK.

Nonetheless I still see trump as partially responsible for the tragedy, with his inflammatory comments on destroying the 'cultural treasures' ...
    mistakes will occur, and they should have the intelligence to figure that into their/usa strategy,
    Trump has this same kind of child like behaviour with North Korea ... first president to start a nuclear war .... too ?

18. Delvis

Caporegime

Nah, really couldn't be bothered in all honesty.

:D Someone's triggered, wow.

Like I said, couldn't care less, pretty every leader or politician is an absolute numpty. As in day to day life, no one is going to like everything about them.

19. RoboCod

Capodecina

Could you not be bothered because you are opposed to precision strikes against legitimate military targets? Or do you genuinely believe the General was murdered? If he was murdered, it would be a crime and Trump and his office should be on trial already.

20. RoboCod

Capodecina

In a nut shell, this is the modern day issue of identity politics.