Useful Freeware Utilities

Meh Powershell it.

Folder listing to file:

Code:
gci "C:\folder" | foreach { $_.Name } | Out-File "C:\folder2\my_list.txt"

[The list.txt will end up listing itself if you create it in same folder as the files you are listing]

Create lines with flags at the end...

Code:
Get-ChildItem "C:\Source" | % { Add-Content "C:\Destination\list.txt" ($_.Name + " /s /t")}

Source = folder with the files
Destination = folder you want the list of items plus flags to live

/s /t are made up, but you get the idea.

Output would be:

file_1.exe /flag1 /flag2
file_2.exe /flag1 /flag2
file_3.exe /flag1 /flag2
file_4.exe /flag1 /flag2
file_5.exe /flag1 /flag2
file_6.exe /flag1 /flag2
file_7.exe /flag1 /flag2

Some things really don't need a whole app to achieve.

At least move the best to the top of each section! :p

But whatever, t'is merely a suggestion! :)

Moving the best to the top of each section would accomplish nothing that I can see, simply making unnecessary work for me, as the items in BOLD are more than easily seen along with the explanatory NOTE at the top of the list...

Moving the best to the top of each section would accomplish nothing that I can see, simply making unnecessary work for me, as the items in BOLD are more than easily seen along with the explanatory NOTE at the top of the list...

That's OK then. As I SAID, it was merely a SUGGESTION

;)

I'd have to install Powershell on each XP machine I use?

You mean you don't already have Powershell on each machine? :eek: :p

You can achieve much the same with a batch script - in fact there was a comment along side the Lifehacker page explaining you could send the contents of a folder to a file with the command you needed. :)

You mean you don't already have Powershell on each machine? :eek: :p
These are 4-5 year old RM 1.4 Ghz Celeron laptops with 512MB RAM, some of which is lost to the graphics, running XP and are solely for the Sixth Form to use. :p

Do you really think I'm going to bother installing Powershell on them? :D My work machine I'd be tempted to have Powershell on if I was convinced of the uber-power of Powershell and recommended some online tutorials and/or good books to learn Powershell. ;)

I just discovered Helium Music Manager, which is in the itunes/songbird/mediamonkey mould but less irritating in that there are no services installed. Another plus is that it doesn't appear to come bundled with any toolbars or other nefarious crud.

Last edited:
http://lifehacker.com/5567071/gnag-removes-nags-forced-intros-and-ads-from-pc-games-and-apps

GNag removes annoying splash screens, forced introduction movies, pop-ups, and nag screens from any application on your desktop. Spurred by annoying but unavoidable nags in PC games, the GNag works with any application.
You know how when you start up certain games or applications, you have to wade through splash windows, intro videos, advertisements, and sometimes nag screens? That's what GNag's designed to remove, and it can handle both video games and regular old applications. Out of the box, GNag supports popular games like Call of Duty 4 and Left 4 Dead, along with the popular antivirus application Avira AntiVir. If you'd like to use it with an unsupported app, the utility lets you define what you want blocked.

http://gnag.sourceforge.net/

Hey jbloggs i was thinking, maybe its just me but looking now i find bold white doesn't stand out enough, i reckon making them bold and colored would be even better and hardly any extra work, perhaps green or yellow?

Hey jbloggs i was thinking, maybe its just me but looking now i find bold white doesn't stand out enough, i reckon making them bold and colored would be even better and hardly any extra work, perhaps green or yellow?

Good suggestion...I'll experiement with some colours and see what stands out the best and change the ones in bold accordingly...

Thanks... (yellow looks quite good)

Back
Top Bottom