Useful Freeware Utilities

Ok sure but i can only do the ones i know about and believe to be good, this is a community driven thing so i can only do my part. :)

Avast Antivirus
Microsoft Security Essentials
Spybot S&D

Grooveshark
SHOUTcast
Spotify

Audacity

IMGBurn

7-Zip
WinRAR

Paint.NET

Firefox
Thunderbird

OpenOffice

Foxit Reader

SyncToy

VLC media player

Avidemux

Thanks...

This thread seems to be turning into a lifehacker rss feed...
Cheers. :)

I visit Lifehacker often and I find quite a few new apps I've not seen before there. I then check this thread and if the app I've just seen on Lifehacker isn't already here then I make a post about it. I don't apologise for this; I don't think it matters where we get information about useful freeware utilities from. Does it?

So hows the list going?
I'm sure jbloggs will update the thread when he gets some time. :)

So hows the list going?

Coud do with a few more suggestions for the following sections:

Compression/Decompression

Desktop Enhancements

HTML/Text/CSS Editors

Registry/(Unwanted) Data Removal Software

General Utilities And Other Applications

Have already put a number of them into BOLD text...

Nice one, thanks. I've been playing around with rainmeter recently after seeing others using it in the desktop screen shots thread, seems quite good so far, i've also been using notepad++ to make my own changes to it's config files which is another useful program, dunno if they are bold worthy though?

MoveOut Automates File Renaming and Relocation

Lifehacker said:
Windows: If you'd like a simple and portable tool for sorting files via renaming and relocating them, MoveOut is a lightweight solution.

If you need a heavyweight computer janitor, you'll want to check out Lifehacker's own Belvedere. For lightweight tasks, especially when you're not on your own computer and need a portable solution, MoveOut renames and moves files based on simple rules.

Select a source directory and a destination directory—in the case of file renaming, you can pick the same for both—and then tell MoveOut if you want files that fit the variable you've set for that directory renamed, moved, or both. MoveOut is freeware, portable, and Windows only.

vSubst Turns Any Folder into a Virtual Drive

vSubst lets you assigns drive letters to any local folder on your computer, letting you turn it into a virtual drive. It's a good way to organize files or simulate environments.

If you forgot to partition during a reformat but really like to separate your data from Windows with a standalone partition, vSubst will allow you to make any folder appear as though it's a dedicated drive. In addition to easier access, you can use vSubst to create a virtual CD drive. (Note: If you really want a proper partition rather than a virtual drive, Windows has had a built-in tool since Vista that makes it easy to repartition your hard drive; alternately, this guide details the process using the popular GParted live CD.)

Substituted drive letters are removed at Windows shutdown, unless you create a persistent substitution. To remove persistent substitutions, the assignment needs to be removed in vSubst, and then you must delete vSubst.exe from C:\Windows. Users should not use defragment or scan the virtual drives while using the program. vSubst is free, and available for Windows only.

just downloaded media monkey, it is brilliant!!!

http://www.mediamonkey.com/

"Manage a music library from 100 to 50,000+ audio files and playlists*; whether Rock, Classical, Audiobooks, or Podcasts; whether they’re located on your hard drive, CDs, or a network. Organize, browse, or search music by Genre, Artist, Year, Rating, etc., and never waste your time trying to find mp3s you know you have."........................

Back
Top Bottom