Useful Freeware Utilities

Soldato
OP
Can't see this one posted yet:

WSR (Windows Speech Recognition) Macros

Microsoft's Brief Description
Technical Preview 2
Windows Speech Recognition Macros extends the speech recognition capabilities in Windows Vista. Users can create powerful macros that are triggered by voice command to interact with applications.

Link

Thanks...

Soldato
OP
Nice anti-malware software - http://www.malwarebytes.org/

It found a bunch of stuff Ad-aware and spybot missed, so I highly recommend it. It's had some good reviews from CNET too.

Good to know that Malwarebytes is effective, some of them aren't, another decent (free) antispyware program is AVG Antispyware, a-square is also supposed to be quite decent, all of these can be found in the Network/Internet Tools section, along with the other "popular" ones...

It might be worthwhile for me to group the anti-spyware utilities along with the antivrus and firewalls programs, making them easier to find in the list, and call the section:

Antispyware\Antivirus\Firewalls

Soldato
OP
Do you have Vista Home Premium? You should have it...

I have both Vista Home Premium (32 bit) and Vista Business (64 bit), but I do not have a "Defrag Settings" option in either; when a Search is done in Business, an option does appear, but when run, the command prompt runs for a split second and that is it, and when using Disk Defragmenter in both, I can only select a Volume, but NOT individual folders, however 3rd party utilities give you this (and other) options....

Soldato
OP
I believe that Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 (suite) (not sure about the antivirus program) will not allow you to use Spybot with it, I still use the 2008 version (7.0.1.325), which has no problem with it.

Marc:

I see some kind soul have given the "list" another 5* rating......;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom