Useful Freeware Utilities

Soldato
OP
Hi Marc,

Any new stuff?

Yes, there was actually, can't remember offhand what they are called, but got a number from it...

Do we have a section for this?

No we don't have a section for this yet, but what I thought I would do is create a new section called:

"RSS Readers/Podcatchers"

Just for the rss readers and podcatchers.

What do you think?

EDIT: Have just added that new section in the list...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Hi Sparky:

Would it feasible to adjust the text colour of a fraction of the software within each of the categories to reflect some kind of recommendation?

Like say the 'best' three highlighted in a gold/silver/bronze kind of thing?

Yes, something along those lines could be done in the future...and were the sections are long, maybe doing a few for each colour, as there is generally more than just one (of each) for each colour...

The sections are laid out in such a way as to cover as many types of utilities as possible, without having lots of individual sections, so finding a decent utility should not be too difficult...

Soldato
OP
Just tried this out and it isn't at all bad. :) When you run it, it gives you the option to install it OR run it as a portable program.

When it shows updates it takes you to http://cleansofts.org/utorrent.html say for a new build of uTorrent, I was hoping it would direct you to the official site for a program.

It also has a tab where it suggests some alternatives programs to the programs its detected on your PC.

Well, it is always good to have decent alternatives to a program... :)

Soldato
OP
Non. Reckon I should? :)

Just had a quick play with it, nice player, but unfortunately it does not appear to do 5:1 audio, as VLC Media Player does, so I think I will just stick with VLC for the time being...if you don't use 5:1 audio with your DVDs, then certainly worth installing I think.

Soldato
OP
I have not included K Lite codec pack in the list (under "Video/Audio Codecs" section) because I have always looked upon it as quite inferior to what is already there and not so long ago used to include some real rubbish in its pack, however, I will have another look at it...

Back
Top Bottom