Useful Freeware Utilities

Soldato
OP
freshmeat

freshmeat maintains the Web's largest index of Unix and cross-platform software, themes and related "eye-candy", and Palm OS software. Thousands of applications, which are preferably released under an open source license, are meticulously cataloged in the freshmeat database, and links to new applications are added daily. Each entry provides a description of the software, links to download it and to obtain more information, and a history of the project's releases, so readers can keep up-to-date on the latest developments.

freshmeat is the first stop for Linux users hunting for the software they need for work or play. It is continuously updated with the latest developments from the "release early, release often" community. In addition to providing news on new releases, freshmeat offers a variety of original content on technical, political, and social aspects of software and programming, written by both freshmeat readers and Free Software luminaries. The comment board attached to each page serves as a home for spirited discussion, bug reports, and technical support. An essential resource for serious developers, freshmeat.net makes it possible to keep up on who's doing what, and what everyone else thinks of it.

Soldato
OP
PPT to Video Free
http://www.acoolsoft.com/

I use it to convert my PowerPoint presentation to video so that I can put it to YouTube and share with people. It's a free program and I really like it. I think it allows people who don't have PowerPoint installed on their computer to watch the presentation online at ease. It's a great assistant to me.

Thanks...added.

EDIT: Free Software Directory

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Come on that's not the attitude to take

MarcLister and I have spent MANY hours putting this list together, at the present time neither of us have the spare time to start putting together a shortened version of it...

If you would like to make a post with the best 2/3 utilities from each section, Marc and I will look at it etc with a view to putting it into a separate post at the top of the list...

Soldato
OP
i could run off a quick list of what i think is best

Thanks...that would be most helpful...say list the 3 best/most used utilities from each section, for large sections (like Desktop, Network etc) say up to 6 utilities...just make the list in a post in this thread and Marc and I will see it straight away...

Thanks...

Soldato
OP
Ok sure but i can only do the ones i know about and believe to be good, this is a community driven thing so i can only do my part. :)

Avast Antivirus
Microsoft Security Essentials
Spybot S&D

Grooveshark
SHOUTcast
Spotify

Audacity

IMGBurn

7-Zip
WinRAR

Paint.NET

Firefox
Thunderbird

OpenOffice

Foxit Reader

SyncToy

VLC media player

Avidemux

Thanks...

Soldato
OP
So hows the list going?

Coud do with a few more suggestions for the following sections:

Compression/Decompression

Desktop Enhancements

HTML/Text/CSS Editors

Registry/(Unwanted) Data Removal Software

General Utilities And Other Applications

Have already put a number of them into BOLD text...

Soldato
OP
Every utility in the list is "Useful," the ones that are particularly good (and would be used the most) are highlighted in BOLD ... thus, both the popular and obscure needs are catered for...

Soldato
OP
http://lifehacker.com/5559319/pir-creates-directory-folder-and-file-lists

http://www.pekspro.com/english/pir.html

I might really actually use this! At work I have to update laptops for the teachers and some of the laptops are quite fussy about taking Windows Updates. I get around this by downloading all the updates from Microsoft's site and creating a batch file that runs each installer update in turn silently and passively. I'm trying to save time so that I can mimic the real Windows Update automated process as much as possible. I download the updates into a special "Windows Update", sponsored by Ronseal, folder and then open a command prompt and navigate to the download folder and export the list of the files to a text file where I then have to append each file name with the necessary flags to make the installers run silently and not to restart the PC after each update install.

Pretty nifty so it is...

Soldato
OP
At least move the best to the top of each section! :p

But whatever, t'is merely a suggestion! :)

Moving the best to the top of each section would accomplish nothing that I can see, simply making unnecessary work for me, as the items in BOLD are more than easily seen along with the explanatory NOTE at the top of the list...

Back
Top Bottom