Valheim

Associate
Is there a better bow than the basic bow that's worth making before?

There's the fine wood bow, but I don't think you get fine wood until you get bronze axe, find ship wreck, or lull a troll into smashing a birch tree for you.

Yeah, I guess I could. To be honest, it was such an effort to build, I might have to leave it a while before I can face even modifications.

I made lots of mistakes but I did end up with a slightly better handle on the process. Just need to experiment with some more complex structures when I feel the motivation return.

It's probably time to take on the first boss, really. I have a level three bow and level two armour, which I guess is the best I can get at this point?

Don't be intimidated by the build process, you have a basic base to start which is fine. I made my first base, total disaster tbh, then relocated and used the lessons from the first.

Then you can stupid stuff like this...

http://imgur.com/gallery/ZIKpk11

Soldato
Got full bronze armour now and the fine now, now just making sure I have the best food. The jam looks a good one to have and meat.

Soldato
There's the fine wood bow, but I don't think you get fine wood until you get bronze axe, find ship wreck, or lull a troll into smashing a birch tree for you.

Don't be intimidated by the build process, you have a basic base to start which is fine. I made my first base, total disaster tbh, then relocated and used the lessons from the first.

Then you can stupid stuff like this...

http://imgur.com/gallery/ZIKpk11
Love the really high builds on rocks. Here’s one I did this week. Crazy high. Those trees in the distance are pine so the really high trees and I’m well above those.
98-FE74-C6-631-B-4-EB7-8-A2-E-63992795-F25-E.jpg

860816-F2-8-B3-F-4-C87-9-C9-A-132-D2949-BDAB.jpg

0-B349978-69-E1-43-D4-A117-C01-BE8-AF5-A15.jpg

00-A3-E2-FE-A139-4-AC4-BC91-A2-A54-D4-B05-E6.jpg

Soldato
This game is awesome, made me rage quit mind. Got killed in a dungeon while carrying most of my decent equip/loot, being only a few hours in they are thin on the ground! Then promptly died a few more times trying to recover them stupidly armed with just a torch, lv1 club and a few rations picked up along the way back, now the grave is no more. There's still a marker on the map but it's no where to be found in or around the dungeon.
A lesson learned in to only carry what you don't mind loosing!
Is there a way to obtain more hard antlers that you need for the pickaxe? Thankfully I left the unused ones prio to the above but if it happens again...

Man of Honour
A good way of creating additional support structures higher up is to raise a small, circular section of ground up as high as you can then place wooden supports into the raised area - they'll all be blue so can support as if they're on the ground. I've done this in one of my larger buildings and surrounded the earth mound with wooden walls acting as a trophy feature

That's a good idea, thank you. I've raised ground locally a bit to support campfires at more convenient heights but hadn't thought about taking the principle as far as the roof (or as close to it as possible).

Your not going to be able to build too high with normal wood. You may find it tricky with the roof. For moderate sized buildings you will need to switch to core wood and for really big structures stone and iron reinforced wood is best.

I am finding it tricky with the roof (in various ways, including just getting within range of it to build it) but my biggest issue is the width of the building more than the height. The peak of the roof is within the height limit for normal wood because I used 26 degree roof pieces rather than 45 degree ones. I have tested with stacked 2m normal wooden poles - it works. Just. If I put a stack of poles every couple of metres it would work, but it would be inconvenient and I don't like the look of it. I didn't go with core wood because this is a temporary structure for use until I start building in stone. I've moved from another world and didn't bring any wood of any kind with me, so I'd have to go to a different biome and get some. My initial intention was just a small hall. Just a cabin, really. Only what was necessary. But building fever struck! :)

Man of Honour
This game is awesome, made me rage quit mind. Got killed in a dungeon while carrying most of my decent equip/loot, being only a few hours in they are thin on the ground! Then promptly died a few more times trying to recover them stupidly armed with just a torch, lv1 club and a few rations picked up along the way back, now the grave is no more. There's still a marker on the map but it's no where to be found in or around the dungeon.
A lesson learned in to only carry what you don't mind loosing!

In my experience, graves remain through at least 2 further deaths. I once died, then died twice more trying to retrieve my stuff. I was able to recover items from all 3 corpses. Only the most recent death is marked, though, which makes finding earlier ones difficult. I spent at least half a game day looking for my first death location. I was running away from a troll at the time, so I wasn't paying careful attention to the exact location. It might be diffferent if you die in an interior cell, though.

Is there a way to obtain more hard antlers that you need for the pickaxe? Thankfully I left the unused ones prio to the above but if it happens again...

As far as I know you can respawn a boss mob as often as you like and as far as I know Eikthyr always drops 3 hard antlers. I didn't need to try it because I moved up to bronze tools and weapons very soon afterwards, but as far as I know it's possible.

Soldato
Finished this last night, team of 5 of us played through it together around 160 hours - was amazing fun.

Only issue we had, was locating the map marker for the final boss, we searched everywhere, literally everywhere in the plains for what must have been 10 hours straight.. In the end we actually came across the final boss spawn point and found him without the marker, entirely by chance lol.

Amazing game though, will definitley play through it again when they release more content.

Man of Honour
A good way of creating additional support structures higher up is to raise a small, circular section of ground up as high as you can then place wooden supports into the raised area - they'll all be blue so can support as if they're on the ground. I've done this in one of my larger buildings and surrounded the earth mound with wooden walls acting as a trophy feature

A followup...I tried that by remaining in one place and repeatedly raising ground under me and what I got was a roughly square tapering obelisk that was very thick at the base, about 4 metres thick. I tried to chip away at the edges a bit to get it smaller and rounder, but that just took a big rectangular chunk out of it.

How to do you "raise a small, circular section of ground up as high as you can"?

Associate
You have to love the AI monsters all hating on each other. I had a Wraith have me at almost death... then a mob of Greydwarves turned up with a Shaman, im about thinking game over (again bloody swamps). But no, they catch each others eye and a full on battle royale starts up... the Greydwarves win out, I go back in and clean them up and soak up a nice pile of new loot.

Associate
Love the really high builds on rocks. Here’s one I did this week. Crazy high. Those trees in the distance are pine so the really high trees and I’m well above those.
98-FE74-C6-631-B-4-EB7-8-A2-E-63992795-F25-E.jpg

860816-F2-8-B3-F-4-C87-9-C9-A-132-D2949-BDAB.jpg

0-B349978-69-E1-43-D4-A117-C01-BE8-AF5-A15.jpg

00-A3-E2-FE-A139-4-AC4-BC91-A2-A54-D4-B05-E6.jpg

Haha, yeah depending on how far inland you are some of these rock start pretty high, then add 50m+ of building on top and you're practically in Odin's living room.

Associate
Ive only a tiny swamp biome, how do I find the boss in there? Do you have to unlock something to do it?

I hate it, im on 4 deaths in about 1 hour.. before I barely even die... here those dargurs, wraith and poison blobs / leeches are crippling.

Soldato
Haha, yeah depending on how far inland you are some of these rock start pretty high, then add 50m+ of building on top and you're practically in Odin's living room.
I might try one of those. I would need to cart a lot of stone and iron up there to do it. I noticed even in the middle of the plains you get snow if you go high enough. Must be an altitude trigger. My house on the rock is covered in snow.

Associate
I might try one of those. I would need to cart a lot of stone and iron up there to do it. I noticed even in the middle of the plains you get snow if you go high enough. Must be an altitude trigger. My house on the rock is covered in snow.

It's a bit of a faff getting materials about that won't transport through a portal. We're on a dedicated server, so going to mod it to allow moving metals etc through as it just gets boring transporting c*** about.

There's snow on the roof of this one too, pretty sure it's an altitude trigger as well as I've never seen any snow in the plains.

Man of Honour
Eh, something else I missed. For some reason, I'd assumed you needed iron to make a cart. So I've never used one and made many trips increasingly far out from my base to gather wood and stone for it, 300 weight units at a time.

When I had finally got my new oversized hall almost completely built (I did end up having to get some core wood to stack 4m poles to make roof supports), I happened to notice the cart in one of the building menus. Made with bronze. Which I've had for some time.

Now it's time to make a cart, load it up with building materials and be killed by it running me over on a hill :) I've already died once on my new oversized hall building project- I fell off the roof. My first death in Valheim was to a tree I'd cut down. I've drowned once. That one was unfair - I was on the surface, so I should have been able to breathe. Many ways to die.

Soldato
Now it's time to make a cart, load it up with building materials and be killed by it running me over on a hill :)
Already been there man. I think that was my 10th death when I was a noob. A boar decided to ram my cart full of wood and copper and it sort of bugged out and ran into me with my poxy 25hp and pop! A tombstone! :o

Have never used them since!

Associate
Having to hang around the nightime Swamps to get the Wraiths to appear. Its not fun, its not pleasant, its a case of hope for the best and hope that nothing else wants a nibble when the thing appears.

The mobs seem to be more loaded, had 1 shaman, 1 l2 Brute, a l2 Greydwavre and 5 normal Greydwares in one wave :(

Soldato
So what do I need to help beat the Elder.
I have mostly troll armour.
Just made a bronze sword as well.
Set a load of campfires around the square and pillars where he spawns before you summon him, it will do a load of fire damage to him and you can just shoot arrows and avoid his attacks behind the pillars

Soldato
It's a bit of a faff getting materials about that won't transport through a portal. We're on a dedicated server, so going to mod it to allow moving metals etc through as it just gets boring transporting c*** about.

There's snow on the roof of this one too, pretty sure it's an altitude trigger as well as I've never seen any snow in the plains.
Or you can just load into your personal game, put the stuff in your chests, then log back into the server game, go through the portal and vice versa.
Thanks me for the hours I just saved you later! :)

Back
Top Bottom