Valheim

Soldato
I haven't played for a few weeks because I and a mate died in a really awkward spot in a swamp biome. Made all our gear again and went back to get it, died again.

Can't be arsed to go through it all again. Not for me!

Same happened to me, after a few tries I decided to use the 'imacheater' command and spawn a set of armour and weapons that I had to allow me to kill everything around my corpse. I then left all the spawned stuff on the corpse.

Soldato
Cant you go back and recover your body bag?

If you are happy to open up your server, then the Body Recovery Service will help :D

Check the Valheim Reddit, a bunch of geared guys come in and recover it all for you.
I'll get back eventually, but it might be a while before I play the game again now, really didn't enjoy losing everything like that. I didn't know those things in the water existed so couldn't plan for them.

Man of Honour
Has anyone noticed a shadowy figure, holding a staff, who appears a short distance away and when you walk toward them they disappear? At first I thought I had imagined it until I saw them again

It's probably Odin. That would fit with old Norse religion. Odin depicted as a traveller carrying a staff and wearing simple grey clothing that conceals their form and gives them an unremarkable appearance exist in that religion. Odin as the watcher, the one who sees, is also in there. It would also fit the backstory within the game - Odin sent you to Valheim for his purposes, so them keeping an eye on you would fit.

Man of Honour
I was the same. I managed to sail across to the next island and was really proud of myself. Then I went to that site and realised there are many islands. It shows how indepth the game is, and considering its only a small file sized game its amazing what the devs have done. [..]

In that respect I'm reminded of the original Elite. A game with a whole galaxy in under 40KB.

Associate
In that respect I'm reminded of the original Elite. A game with a whole galaxy in under 40KB.

When you compare it to call of duty being around 200+ gigabytes... the way they got everything in valheim into a gig is pretty impressive. Seems to be a bit of a lost art making games small these days with the expectation that everyone has massive amounts of hard drive space free.

Man of Honour
Aarrrggghh!

That's me done for the day.

In my current world (I moved world once) it's quite a trip from my base in the meadows to the nearest black forest biome to mine copper and tin for bronze. I'm currently in L1 troll armour with a L2 finewood bow and a L3 bronze mace. Doing OK, after more bronze for upgrading stuff. Thinking about maybe bronze armour, but I'm not sure if it's worth having it over troll armour.

I've killed a few trolls. Dangerous, but not too bad as long as I'm well fed and I keep my distance. I killed 2 trolls travelling to the copper deposit I'd found. Then another turned up as I was mining and I failed to keep my distance and died. That troll seemed quicker than others. Probably just me misjudging angles and distance. So now I'm in my undies with no equipment and a long way from both my boat and my equipment. Hmm...make a raft, sail back. The raft is even slower than the karve! A storm blew up and the raft seemed more dangerous than jumping off and swimming for shore, so I jumped and swam. Not too far from my corpse...sneaky sneaky...made it! No sign of the troll anyway. So I get my armour back on and go back to mining. The troll returns. And kills me again. This time I'm sure - it was faster than me. Normally I can walk away from a troll, turn, loose an arrow, repeat. This time its walking speed was quite a bit faster than mine and so my usual approach didn't work.

Back in tomorrow with fire arrows. But not tonight.

Associate
Aarrrggghh!

That's me done for the day.

In my current world (I moved world once) it's quite a trip from my base in the meadows to the nearest black forest biome to mine copper and tin for bronze. I'm currently in L1 troll armour with a L2 finewood bow and a L3 bronze mace. Doing OK, after more bronze for upgrading stuff. Thinking about maybe bronze armour, but I'm not sure if it's worth having it over troll armour.

I've killed a few trolls. Dangerous, but not too bad as long as I'm well fed and I keep my distance. I killed 2 trolls travelling to the copper deposit I'd found. Then another turned up as I was mining and I failed to keep my distance and died. That troll seemed quicker than others. Probably just me misjudging angles and distance. So now I'm in my undies with no equipment and a long way from both my boat and my equipment. Hmm...make a raft, sail back. The raft is even slower than the karve! A storm blew up and the raft seemed more dangerous than jumping off and swimming for shore, so I jumped and swam. Not too far from my corpse...sneaky sneaky...made it! No sign of the troll anyway. So I get my armour back on and go back to mining. The troll returns. And kills me again. This time I'm sure - it was faster than me. Normally I can walk away from a troll, turn, loose an arrow, repeat. This time its walking speed was quite a bit faster than mine and so my usual approach didn't work.

Back in tomorrow with fire arrows. But not tonight.

Always best to create a small hut with bed near to mining ops. Saves long trips. Also when you land a boat always an idea to have nearby bed.

Soldato
Last night I decided to move my main base to a larger area, next to the sea, in my starter Meadows area. One thing I discovered is ground levelling isn’t as simple as it should be so I’ve made a stone foundation. The issue I now have is my main house is 10x15 and looking at the base I’ve laid I’m wondering if I’m going to have an issue with the roof. My current home is 9x12 and that roof was fun. Ah well it’s all part of the fun.

Associate
The ground manipulation system in the game really isn't that helpful... trying to get a flat field for farming is almost impossible.
Leveling is based on where you are standing. Find it best to stand in a spot and level in a circle. Sometimes divots will need to be filled then leveled .

Associate
Im excited to build a new base, but in the its going to be a right pain in the arse to dismantle the current setup and move it all. I still have my starter base at the beginning with loot that ive literally abandoned and not returned to for ages.

Man of Honour
Always best to create a small hut with bed near to mining ops. Saves long trips. Also when you land a boat always an idea to have nearby bed.

Isn't sleeping in a more dangerous biome, well, more dangerous? I don't fancy being out at night in the black forest biome.

Last night I decided to move my main base to a larger area, next to the sea, in my starter Meadows area. One thing I discovered is ground levelling isn’t as simple as it should be so I’ve made a stone foundation. The issue I now have is my main house is 10x15 and looking at the base I’ve laid I’m wondering if I’m going to have an issue with the roof. My current home is 9x12 and that roof was fun. Ah well it’s all part of the fun.

Perhaps you could make seperate buildings? I've decided that my planned final form base is going to be much too large to be one building so I'm going to split it into seperate buildings - a keep, a great hall, a workshop and a warehouse. Another option is a "line of Toblerones side by side" roof built on timber beams running across the building. I don't like that because I think it wouldn't be practical (in the context of most gameworlds in which a player builds) to keep it draining properly and it certainly wouldn't work in reality with a thatched roof, but that's a personal decision. You could headcanon an explanation of how it works. Angled metal guttering along the lines where two triangle-rows meet, maybe.

Im excited to build a new base, but in the its going to be a right pain in the arse to dismantle the current setup and move it all. I still have my starter base at the beginning with loot that ive literally abandoned and not returned to for ages.

A modder recently added a blueprinting mod, which might be useful to you.

https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/5

Back
Top Bottom