Valorant

Soldato
I haven't played it yet, but from someone who likes competitive CS I don't know what to make of it

It's trying to be CS and Overwatch at the same time but the pacing seems too slow for it. The maps seem like they're just a series of corridors, and you're having to slow walk around every corner

Associate
A number of years back, League was being ruined by cheaters, Riot knows that cheaters can decimate the player base of a game - you only have to look at games like PUBG to see what can happen there. Yet, Riot managed to get League to a point where cheating isn't really a serious problem anymore, or certainly not what it was - it's also the worlds biggest competitive game, and it's free - so Riot knows how to do this at scale, long term and keep doing it.

With Valorant, that knowledge and experience has been there from the ground up. You can guarantee - if/when someone does figure out a way around the anti-cheat systems, Riot will throw untold amounts of resources at that problem and leave no stone unturned until it gets solved, because they understand the ramifications of not fixing it - especially with a free-to-play title.

I understand the scepticism though - in the end we'll have to wait and see how it holds up to the 'wild' so to speak :)

As a side note, they've completely failed to stop botting, or they just don't care, in LoL. I remain sceptical, though it'll be interesting to see if they manage to pull it off. Not that I'll be playing it.

I haz 4090!
Don
I think it'll be enormous and I'll give you three reasons why;

Firstly; The core fundamental game play is absolutely brilliant, the gun play and shooting mechanics are the best I've ever played in a game and the skill ceiling is very very high.

Secondly; The map design is brilliant, Riot has some of the original map designers who made some of the iconic CS maps working on Valorant, they know how to make highly competitive environments for a tac shooter.

Thirdly; It's really good to spectate - which is one of the hardest things to get right in an Esports title, I can see it being enormous from the point of view of streamers and professional teams, simply because it's just fun to watch.

Couldn't agree more with all of the above. I did have my suspicious about the map designers maybe being some of the old CS map design guys. It feels exactly like CS 1.6 to play. I absolutely love it, it's the best shooter I've played in years and I feel myself wanting to plough thousands of hours into it in an effort to roll back the clock 20 years to being a 17 year old CS pro again :D

Soldato
Couldn't agree more with all of the above. I did have my suspicious about the map designers maybe being some of the old CS map design guys. It feels exactly like CS 1.6 to play. I absolutely love it, it's the best shooter I've played in years and I feel myself wanting to plough thousands of hours into it in an effort to roll back the clock 20 years to being a 17 year old CS pro again :D

Glad to hear you're enjoying it :D

There was a good game worth watching the other day actually, it's been doing the rounds in slack lol;

Soldato
Played a few rounds last night. The gun play is good and the maps seem pretty well thought out. I'm not sure about the aim down sights at 1.25x on the main rifles. I also think they're missing a trick with weapons, they're very generic and the skins are poor. The abilities seem well balanced and make for some interesting plays. They've gone for a pretty basic look to allow for a huge player base, you could run it on a potato. It looks a little flat as a result.

Soldato
@Screeeech

Are they planning on changing the system for disconnects, as it's a pretty bad idea if a player on your team leaves forcing you to 4v5 until the match is over? It should just abandon or is this reserved for ranked play?

Soldato
@Screeeech

Are they planning on changing the system for disconnects, as it's a pretty bad idea if a player on your team leaves forcing you to 4v5 until the match is over? It should just abandon or is this reserved for ranked play?

I'm not sure what the final strategy will be, I think it's one of those problems that's very hard to balance perfectly, but we'll no doubt hear more in later builds, and when they add competitive modes and stuff.

I don't actually work on the game-design team itself, so I can't comment on anything and don't want to make false assumptions which are wrong, or misleading :)

Back
Top Bottom