Valorant

Soldato
Games anti cheat got quite a bit of controversy around it at the moment. Apparently it runs 24/7 with full admin privs even prior to login. Additional data mining concerns given riot is owned by a Chinese company.

Man of Honour
This. I can't understand the massive hype. It looks so incredibly bland. :confused:

Yeah I find the hype suspicious. Watched a few clips and the map felt quite bland to me a mix-up of some of the better aspects of Overwatch and CS maps but felt like they'd simply been thrown into a blender just didn't seem to be those memorable features those standout maps that you can play over and over and never get bored of are built around.

There are some neat features but overall not seeing the hype for this one but if it makes some people happy so be it.

Man of Honour
Have to echo the other posts in here, having watched Doc play it a lot and Summit, I cannot fathom how people are enjoying this. Maybe it just doesn't stream well, but it just looks so incredibly boring

Soldato
To be fair, Riot didn't set out to make a game that would try to please everybody. From the start this was going to be aimed more at a competitive esports audience, and so it's going to attract people more from that space, rather than more casual gamers, who play BR games, or military sims like BF/COD/etc.

Like CS:GO, the fun really comes from the skill ceiling involved with the shooting, specifically the skill involved in playing - how to correctly use utility, how to master spray control and spray transfer, how to move properly, how to peek an AWPer or win a 1v3 under pressure, and how to deal with economy - all those things are what make it fun.

It's a hard game to play, with a brutal TTK, and I think a lot of players who are used to more casual style games might not enjoy it very much.

On the other side, if you've played a lot of CS and you're more interested in the skills of a tac shooter, you're probably going to enjoy Valorant a lot.

Associate
Probably made the graphics lower quality so more people can play it. More players = more money. But the game still looks like it could be fun to play, as long as it's polished enough.

Associate
It does play very well, good hit detection and the bland colour pallete enables you to focues on oponenments positioning a lot easier, something CSGO has lost over time expecially since the agents were released.

I've only played a few games so far, but its very promising from what i've seen so far, as a CS verteran of 15 years i need to take a break, so this is giving me somthing different to play.

Man of Honour
On the other side, if you've played a lot of CS and you're more interested in the skills of a tac shooter, you're probably going to enjoy Valorant a lot.

I don't have a problem with people liking this game and I can see some competitive esport oriented people who will lap it up but personally I played a LOT of CS and tac shooters and this one leaves me totally cold and I can't see the hype at all. (I'm also one of the few who really love a brutal TTK and played hardcore modes pretty much exclusively, etc. in a lot of games).

EDIT: Not even saying the game is bad as such I just find the hype oddly disproportionate and I think that is one of the reasons I'm not feeling the game at all.

Soldato
Probably made the graphics lower quality so more people can play it. More players = more money. But the game still looks like it could be fun to play, as long as it's polished enough.

Basically, Riot wants as many people as possible to be able to run it at over 100 fps, without people having to go out and spend $500+ on graphics card, it actually runs on the UE4 engine, it's just super optimised to be clean and easy to run/play.

Associate
Basically, Riot wants as many people as possible to be able to run it at over 100 fps, without people having to go out and spend $500+ on graphics card, it actually runs on the UE4 engine, it's just super optimised to be clean and easy to run/play.
Which is completely fair enough in my opinion. Games are about gameplay, not graphics. If it's fun then why should it matter.

Associate
To be fair, Riot didn't set out to make a game that would try to please everybody. From the start this was going to be aimed more at a competitive esports audience, and so it's going to attract people more from that space, rather than more casual gamers, who play BR games, or military sims like BF/COD/etc.

Like CS:GO, the fun really comes from the skill ceiling involved with the shooting, specifically the skill involved in playing - how to correctly use utility, how to master spray control and spray transfer, how to move properly, how to peek an AWPer or win a 1v3 under pressure, and how to deal with economy - all those things are what make it fun.

It's a hard game to play, with a brutal TTK, and I think a lot of players who are used to more casual style games might not enjoy it very much.

So much this 100%

Most people are really not going to enjoy it and play it for 20 mins and never touch it again. That's fine, it's going to be free to play and it's nice to have choices.
It's a very niche game.

I actually love watching the streamers play this, how salty they get when they are beaten by better teams is hilarious.
I even found myself watching Ninja for hours, and Dizzy, that kid is just not human sometimes.
Of course, soon as the drops stop it will dry up on twitch overnight, it's getting the usual pretend love like Tarkov did.

Just wish I was 16 again and had the eyes of my youth, still, least it has SBMM, yes I'm a fan of that too.

Man of Honour

Pretty cool vid from the devs talking about the network side, and also showing the difference between 64 and 128 tick servers and hit registration, :)

What I find both annoying and amusing and not aimed so much at this game - there are older engines that run 10 FPS server tick, 20 FPS client tick and do better than many ~60Hz servers in most modern games/engines because the devs have got lazy and/or the culture due to publishers being more business oriented having a knock on effect.

Associate
I'm quite liking it from the couple of hours I've had chance on it so far. Now I am getting used to it a bit more, the powers and some tactics, it's enjoyable. Not quite sure about the long length of games though, I would prefer that to shrink to first to 8 or 10 or something. Saying that, I just played a 12:13 loss that was really enjoyable.

It's no fun being an average player like myself and being stuck letting a team down for ages, I just want that game to end and crawl back into my average gaming hole :)

Back
Top Bottom