Valve announces the SteamDeck

Associate
Mine arrived about an hour ago... one of the speakers doesn't work. :mad:

Valves QA seems to be pretty terrible.

My original LCD deck arrived with the left trigger rubbing on the case which seemed to be a common problem. My official Steam dock caused the audio to crackle.

Going off of the few hundred replies on the Reddit thread, it seems like almost half of the people with BOE screens in their limited edition decks have dead pixels. You have to wonder if these limited edition decks were actually a beta test for BOE to see if they could deliver quality screens or a way for Valve to charge more to help recoup some of the loses they will take on the bad screens. Charge more for them so that on average the losses from the bad screens are diluted by the higher price.

It seems the Samsung panels in the cheaper models are of a higher quality which is good news as that is all we can buy here in the UK.

Associate
They really should arrive safe and sound even if the thumb sticks are knackered and the haptics fried. It's turning into an early access hardware release.
Don't know if mine got damaged in the post (although the box looked fine), but it sounds like something is broken inside when I move it side to side. Don't know if that's to do with the speaker or another problem. Either way, it'll be going back to them tomorrow

Last edited:
Associate
I've got the 1tb OLED, I've not had a steam deck before but it is issue free. I spent about 2minutes looking for dead pixels after reading here that is maybe an issue and got bored, then jumped back into Ori and the Blind Forest :)

I'm really impressed, the Gloss/etched screen chat on Reddit got me worried/questioning my decision. Well I am really happy with the etched, I thought gloss would be better but honestly love the etched and I wouldn't swap it for a gloss (comparing to my s23 ultra).

If your waiting on the delivery don't worry don't worry, your gonna love it.

Associate
So I did multiple restarts and nothing. Went into desktop mode to check the OLED panel and it just started working. Annoyingly the system button test is a bit crap and doesn't give the detail I am after.

My left thumbstick is lacking the same texture as the right. THe right is more grippy and the left slippy, like it's missing a rubber coating in the center.

Also not used one before but the left trackpad isn't giving a haptic feedback on a center press? This could be user error on my part though.
Yooo your thumbstick situation sounds similar to mine. Does it visually look a bit 'dirty' too?
Here's mine, cleaning doesn't help it:

Valve told me it's cosmetic and not covered by warranty (tbf it functioned with the capacitive touch perfect still), but I'm not happy so have asked for return and refund since it's within 14 days.

The trackpad will just be because whatever your using it in doesn't have a middle click function. Create something manually in a game and I'm sure it will work.

Soldato

Valve told me it's cosmetic and not covered by warranty (tbf it functioned with the capacitive touch perfect still), but I'm not happy so have asked for return and refund since it's within 14 days.

The trackpad will just be because whatever your using it in doesn't have a middle click function. Create something manually in a game and I'm sure it will work.
Yeah prety much. I knew I saw the issue elsewhere but couldn't remember if it was reddit or here. Mine isn't as bad as yours but yeah they can come back and say it's cosmetic and I will just return it for a refund like you. Even if it's cosmetic I don't know how they think that can fly. A scratched display would be cosmetic, that's OK?

Yeah I think the trackpads good. This is my first Steam Deck and you can tell the experience isn't as polished as other hardware manufacters.

Back
Top Bottom