VARcical Decision

Did I say that? Adding in the ‘tactics’ of when to challenge the ref is not going to improve the game.

I disagree, I think it will be better than double refereeing with VAR looking over every decision and every play.

This adds an extra dimension to it, you think players are too stupid or no attention span to do this, I disagree. I think they are fully capable.

Last edited:
I disagree, I think it will be better than double refereeing with VAR looking over every decision and every play.
Var doesn’t look over every decision and every play.
You will have double referring. You’ve introduced the ability of the team captain to challenge the ref. The players will be in the captains ear everytime something goes against them.

Your idea is so full of holes you’re now making things up, like trying to suggest I was claiming football doesn’t have tactics.

Last edited:
Var doesn’t look over every decision and every play.
You will have double referring. You’ve introduced the ability of the team captain to challenge the ref. The players will be in the captains ear everytime something goes against them.

Your idea is so full of holes you’re now making things up, like trying to suggest I was claiming football doesn’t have tactics.

You are the one saying football isn’t chess! (Yes I jump to the other extreme end but you opened the door)

If the players want to surround their captain at every foul then that’s their choice, if they not want to play football and defend their goal and argue, that’s their choice.

They have got make a choice, and fast on whether it’s worth it. After that they can just get on with it.

It can also be a shield, rather than a sword. The defending team with a penalty against them can also challenge it.

Either way, it would be the same person making the decision.

Hell, it could be only the manager who can play this token, and he will tell the 4th official to do this, who has the ref on the field on the mic.

The bench has live replay on their iPads.

Then that would remove the problem if it’s the captain got knocked out cold.

But the idea of only 1 person who can play this token stands. The idea of only 1 referee in the game.

That will then remove your issue of stupid players who can’t concentrate. It’s the manager’s job to make decisions and he is doing what he is paid to do.

Last edited:
Hell, it could be only the manager who can play this token, and he will tell the 4th official to do this, who has the ref on the field on the mic.

The bench has live replay on their iPads.

Then that would remove the problem if it’s the captain got knocked out cold.

But the idea of only 1 person who can play this token stands. The idea of only 1 referee in the game.
So it’s the manager. He sees his player go down in a heap in the penalty area, ref waves play on. Player jumps up and carries on playing. Manager thinks it looks like he’s been wiped out, so now you’ve got your manager in a tough spot. Does he play the card on what he’s seen, does he communicate with the player to get his opinion/view. If he gets the player input how does he do that without interrupting the flow of the game? Or does he do it off his own feelings? Oh wait you’ve given the bench a live replay option. Right so now the bench is watching the live replays while the game carries on? Are the players waiting on the managers call to the ref? That’s a whole lot of pointless distraction that’s only going to negatively impact the game.

So it’s the manager. He sees his player go down in a heap in the penalty area, ref waves play on. Player jumps up and carries on playing. Manager thinks it looks like he’s been wiped out, so now you’ve got your manager in a tough spot. Does he play the card on what he’s seen, does he communicate with the player to get his opinion/view. If he gets the player input how does he do that without interrupting the flow of the game? Or does he do it off his own feelings? Oh wait you’ve given the bench a live replay option. Right so now the bench is watching the live replays while the game carries on? Are the players waiting on the managers call to the ref? That’s a whole lot of pointless distraction that’s only going to negatively impact the game.

He is the manager, he is always in a tough spot, make a decision, he has staff behind him watching replays.

Do his job? Make the call. These are not children, pay attention, and make it quickly. They are paid to do that. He can only do it once per half. Then he has to live with it.

He doesn’t need player input, he and his staff watches the monitor and make the call. He is the manager.

Last edited:
He is the manager, he is always in a tough spot, make a decision, he has staff behind him watching replays.

Do his job? Make the call. These are not children, pay attention, and make it quickly. They are paid to do that. He can only do it once per half. Then he has to live with it.
That’s just a bonkers take on it dude. Utterly bonkers. There’s far far better ways to improve the current situation without the nonsense scenario you’re suggesting.

Giving teams "challenges" is an awful idea and doesn't do anything to fix the problem. The problem is consistency and quality. A challenge system would just be an awful frankensteins monster of the two. Miss a load of bad decisions and then get a bad VAR decision on the one you do get. Its not a simple sport like Tennis or cricket where you have either the player relying on their eyes or ears from very close range being asked a simple question.

Cricket and tennis don't have a guy sitting in a box saying "nah, I don't think that would have hit the stumps" or "nah, you probably wouldn't have got to that ball anyway so screw it, call remains".

I think a lot of football fans completely ignore the massive subjectivity involved in the game. The chaotic nature, cheating, playacting and shades of grey that most sports don't deal with. Automated offside will fix one of the only things that is truly black and white in the game. For the rest of it they need better humans.

That’s just a bonkers take on it dude. Utterly bonkers. There’s far far better ways to improve the current situation without the nonsense scenario you’re suggesting.

As I said, I disagree. These are grown men, adults, they are not blind, they are the best people in their job. If they can’t watch an iPad and make a decision of whether they agree with the on field decision then they should go home.

If they agree, they can shut up, so they should. If they don’t, then at least they have a chance to say something.

It surely is better than a room elsewhere double checking everything.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom