VARcical Decision

As I said, I disagree.
You disagree there are better ways to improve the current situation? So it’s the card challenge malarkey or nothing?!
All else I’ll say on this is while the current situation definitely needs sorting, I’m just glad as **** you’re not involved in the process. It’s almost as if you don’t realise what actually goes on during a game of football or how intense it can be on the pitch.
Your plan would be an unmitigated disaster which would damage the sport much, much worse than the current var shambles is doing.

You disagree there are better ways to improve the current situation? So it’s the card challenge malarkey or nothing?!
All else I’ll say on this is while the current situation definitely needs sorting, I’m just glad as **** you’re not involved in the process. It’s almost as if you don’t realise what actually goes on during a game of football or how intense it can be on the pitch.
Your plan would be an unmitigated disaster which would damage the sport much, much worse than the current var shambles is doing.

You think everyone in the game is either too slow and stupid to do this, so what if they are, it will be their own actions and their own consequences. The only thing they can do is get the ref to check the monitor, that’s it. It’s not like they can ask the Ref to go get a KFC. The players already wave around their arms making the monitor sign now and they will continue to do so from now and forever.

I think it will keep the technology yet limit its use and frequencies of stopping the game.

Last edited:
You think everyone in the game is either too slow and stupid to do this, so what if they are
Where have I said that?? You keep making things up that I’ve said. I can only assume to deflect from the utter nonsense idea you’ve put forward.
I’m done with this conversation now as you’re just making things up and that’s not the basis for an honest debate.

Last edited:
Where have I said that?? You keep making things up that I’ve said. I can only assume to deflect from the utter nonsense idea you’ve put forward.
I’m done with this conversation now as you’re just making things up and that’s the basis for an honest debate.

You imply that they don’t have the attention or concentration to notice their team mates shout foul, or they don’t have the communication skills to decide whether they should play the token. You imply this is far too big a task above playing football to make a decision on the field. You kept saying they are too busy arguing with each other on the field at every decision the referee makes. Your exact words were “mini team meetings”

So I suggest the manager to make the decision, something that is his job. Who has replay at this hand with his staff.

Last edited:
You imply that they don’t have the attention or concentration to notice their team mates shout foul, or they don’t have the communication skills to decide whether they should play the token.
Nope. Didn’t imply that at all.
You imply this is far too big a task above playing football to make a decision on the field.
Again, not implying that either. I’m outright saying leave the players alone to play the game they’re being paid to.
You kept saying they are too busy arguing with each other on the field at every decision the referee makes.
Nope never said that.

You’ve absolutely no concept of how the game is played which shows from the hair brained idea you’ve decided to champion and even less concept on how that would negatively detract from the game.
And twisting what I’ve said is just poor form really if I’m being honest.

Nope. Didn’t imply that at all.

Again, not implying that either. I’m outright saying leave the players alone to play the game they’re being paid to.

Nope never said that.

You’ve absolutely no concept of how the game is played which shows from the hair brained idea you’ve decided to champion and even less concept on how that would negatively detract from the game.
And twisting what I’ve said is just poor form really if I’m being honest.

Look, you disagree with me…that’s fine. I also think you are clueless about football, touché. Because the idea, as I said originally, was like the one Lineker said on his podcast. You can say he is clueless about football too. You are free to do so.

The end. (Like you said in your last post)

Last edited:
At least I didn’t have to twist your words Raymond to make my point.
And I’ve no issue saying lineker doesn’t know what he’s talking about either, if his plan is the same as yours. Only people without a grasp on how the game is played would think that’s the answer. If that hat fits gary lineker too then so be it.

This right here is the problem with VAR — https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/cyddpyj8gzqo

In the verdict, which has been seen by BBC Sport, one panellist believed the "left foot of the defender impedes the attacker on the back of his heel " and was enough to warrant a penalty.

However, the other four panellists felt otherwise and the non intervention from the video assistant referee (VAR) was unanimously supported.

How the **** can you tell me that studs down the back of someone’s ankle, to the point that there’s a hole in their sock (never mind the push in the back), isn’t a foul.

It’s not the technology, it’s the human error aspect of it.

The problem is the rules of football and always has been.

The level of subjectivity is the issue. How many fouls do we see given all over the pitch, but if they happen in the box they aren't given? End that crap for a start.

Offside needs to be automated or at least semi-automated. A player is either on or off, it's binary, get to that decision in under 10 seconds consistently - show a replay in the stadium to help with the match experience.

Fouls need to be called consistently, no matter who or where they occur. I think this needs to be done at rulebook level though, nothing to do with VAR.

Handball, well, I think the old 'hand moves towards the ball' definition was the best and most consistent. Go back to that and consistently apply it ffs. The 'un-natural position' stuff is awful as players contort themselves in all sorts of manners when twisting, turning and running at the insane speeds they do.

Handball, well, I think the old 'hand moves towards the ball' definition was the best and most consistent. Go back to that and consistently apply it ffs. The 'un-natural position' stuff is awful as players contort themselves in all sorts of manners when twisting, turning and running at the insane speeds they do.
Agree with everything you said.. but this leads to the old, defenders coming steaming out with their arms spread-eagled.. and then saying their arms didn't move towards the ball, just made themselves huge..

Agree with everything you said.. but this leads to the old, defenders coming steaming out with their arms spread-eagled.. and then saying their arms didn't move towards the ball, just made themselves huge..

Lesser of two evils in my mind. There was a lot less of that than the accidental ones now, or the ones where the player can't possibly mean to handle it when about a metre away from the attacker but their momentum means their arms have come out to the side.

It's always been a silly rule, how is dealt with elsewhere on the pitch? It's almost as if the stakes influence the officials decisions, just like what @Stu999 has said above, which is such a bad way to deliver a fair competition.

Like the referee "allowing the game to flow" in big games. No, apply the rules as you would any other game FFS!

It was never going to pass and I suspect had it, FIFA would have pressured the PL into keeping it anyway.

Keeping VAR isn't a huge issue if they fixed it but sadly I suspect they can't/won't. It's reported that they're going to stick with the high bar for overturns which means the lucky dip nature of what is considered clear and obvious will remain. The only positive thing I've seen reported is they want to improve the communication in-game with announcements from the ref and replays in the stadium.

The issue for me has never really been transparency. Its always been ineptitude and consistency. People are never going to agree on subjective decisions and a lot of decisions in football are subjective but its being handled badly enough that there are far too many comparable incidents that are handled completely differently.

The explanations are useless. Because one week they'll say this was a penalty because of x and y. Then next week they'll say this wasn't a penalty because of x and y....and x and y are the same.

Back
Top Bottom