VARcical Decision

Your absolutely right, the good thing it there is likely something to be done about it now as it’s happened to a “sky6” club, had it happened to a Luton/sheff utd it would have been “sorry about that, we will learn from it”
As long as something is done about it I dont particularly care what or who the cause was.

The premier league can start by taking the semi automatic offside VAR system which worked so well at the World Cup (that they refused to take) for a first step.

A second step would be to improve communications and have a proper professional procedure and wording between VAR officials and the ref, to avoid situations like today and situations like we heard on that VAR audio where they were all arguing with each other over decisions.

Another good step would be to get some actual former footballers who have actually played the game involved , instead of part time policemen, butchers and bus conductors who have no experience of actually playing professional football to aid in their judgement of decisions.

Last edited:
As long as something is done about it I dont particularly care what or who the cause was.

The premier league can start by taking the semi automatic offside VAR system which worked so well at the World Cup (that they refused to take) for a first step.

A second step would be to improve communications and have a proper professional procedure and wording between VAR officials and the ref, to avoid situations like today and situations like we heard on that VAR audio where they were all arguing with each other over decisions.

Another good step would be to get some actual former footballers who have actually played the game involved , instead of part time policemen, butchers and bus conductors who have no experience of actually playing professional football to aid in their judgement of decisions.
I’m a full believer that the refs should be mic’d up just like Rugby/NFL/ every other sport and available to listen to after the match, and the decision to not use the semi automatic offside system that worked so well in the World Cup, that was just baffling TBH

Like Liverpool haven't had enough soft penalties! is it a massive balls up? Oh yes it was, are Liverpool the only team it has happened to? No they’re not. Sometimes people need to Stop acting like the worlds against them. It was a stonewall red card, but the yellows for the second red were really harsh and you had a perfectly good goal ruled out(we had 3 of those last season that would have given us 6 more points), life goes on and tomorrow is another day.
I wondered how long it would take for Mr Irony to comment. You don't even have to dig up your long list of ridiculous complaints of bias or corruption, literally in your next post you claim there's bias towards the big clubs.

And who has this happened to before? In the VAR era you could count on 1(?) hand the amount of incorrect offside calls there have been - there were two (1 against Liverpool vs Arsenal and 1 for Liverpool vs Wolves) where limitations prevented them making the call (when there was no single picture that showed both the ball and the forward/defender) and a couple of instances where there were subjective issues on whether a player was active. The only other instance that I'm aware of where there's simply been a a complete and utter **** up was in the Arsenal - Brentford game last season and the VAR that day never worked again after the incident. It's funny that incident went against a 'sky6' side too.

Like Liverpool haven't had enough soft penalties! is it a massive balls up? Oh yes it was, are Liverpool the only team it has happened to? No they’re not. Sometimes people need to Stop acting like the worlds against them. It was a stonewall red card, but the yellows for the second red were really harsh and you had a perfectly good goal ruled out(we had 3 of those last season that would have given us 6 more points), life goes on and tomorrow is another day.
Refs always screw United over as well, Fergie days are long gone :(

Last edited:
Didn’t Klopp say that spurs players/manager should worry about “other things” when Jota hit Skipp in the head with a high foot and VAR did nothing?

As said earlier, poor decisions from VAR have happened and no one seems to care or demand a match is replayed.

Last edited:
Football really is **** now with this VAR bull crap.
After the match and a full review is made that refs ***** up, perhaps they should give a point to the team that was on the end of the refs cheating decisions.

Didn’t Klopp say that spurs players/manager should worry about “other things” when Jota hit Skipp in the head with a high foot and VAR did nothing?

As said earlier, poor decisions from VAR have happened and no one seems to care or demand a match is replayed.
It's a completely different situation. One is debatable. One is a matter of fact. There shouldn't even be room to discuss offsides any more.

It's amazing for VAR they don't use a similar system to cricket where you hear the conversation between the umpire and TV umpire, the checks being performed are discussed and then the words for the decisions are shown on screens so it couldn't be clearer what was checked and how the decision was reached.

I think if you interpret a high foot studs first to the face as anything but a red card it is operator error rather than interpretation.

Both going for the ball, Skipp is ducking into it. I think it's a red card but there's clear room for debate. Tell me any possible reason why there is room for debate about the Diaz offside?

image-4-5.png

Are people really trying to compare a high foot to what happened yesterday? Every single club can pull those out and say what about this example. Madness.

Last edited:

So the VAR thought the ref had actually given a goal and by the time they realised he hadn’t it was too late to intervene!

You couldn’t make that **** up really.

Worth remembering 3 people monitor var decisions - var, assistant var and a 3rd guy monitering/supervising the other 2. If they try and lay the blame at just one guy they are lying.

Worth remembering 3 people monitor var decisions - var, assistant var and a 3rd guy monitering/supervising the other 2. If they try and lay the blame at just one guy they are lying.
Agreed. The problem is the system and how it's been implemented. People make errors. If the system had been properly thought through there would be no room for an error like this to actually have an effect.

So the VAR thought the ref had actually given a goal and by the time they realised he hadn’t it was too late to intervene!

You couldn’t make that **** up really.
Too late to intervene is laughable. We can give a penalty when teams are in the changing rooms but not when a free kick is taken? Lol

I think the rule is that you cannot go back if further player has resumed. As soon as the goal kick was taken the time limit for intervention has passed.

You would assume the VAR team would have realised the goal wasn’t given when the keeper got ready to take it. So quite frankly bizarre.

As I said, poor decisions happen and we should take the advice of Klopp and focus on other things, such as indiscipline of the Jota making a cynical foul while already on a yellow. Honestly I think Liverpool were the better team with 10 men and probably would have drawn if not won the game had he not made a stupid challenge.

I think the rule is that you cannot go back if further player has resumed. As soon as the goal kick was taken the time limit for intervention has passed.

You would assume the VAR team would have realised the goal wasn’t given when the keeper got ready to take it. So quite frankly bizarre.

As I said, poor decisions happen and we should take the advice of Klopp and focus on other things, such as indiscipline of the Jota making a cynical foul while already on a yellow. Honestly I think Liverpool were the better team with 10 men and probably would have drawn if not won the game had he not made a stupid challenge.
But you can...you can go back for a penalty etc. Its just a nonsense excuse for a disgraceful decision. Id agree about the Jota foul if the same player that did it didnt wave his hand asking for a booking for Jota whilst being on a booking.

Back
Top Bottom