VARcical Decision

I agree with you, but I don’t think your calm and open-minded approach to these things is generally mirrored across the footballing world. You only need to read the description of this sub forum to see that A place where mindless thugs can abuse each other without upsetting normal people.

In general terms I think they should have live audio for all VAR reviews between on-field Ref & off-field Ref. Selecting to release audio for isolated incidents is never going to solve or help these type of incdients.
That description was a joke by an admin that doesn't like football.

I agree that supporters are a massive part of the wider refereeing debate - the standard of officiating has declined hugely but that is because the numbers of officials has declined as a result of the abuse they get. I don't see how releasing audio of incidents will make that worse however. I've never liked the idea of refs giving interviews because I think it will be abused by broadcasters and journalists looking for a cheap headline but VAR audio or post match statements from officials explaining how and why they made certain key decisions should be the norm imo. Half of the issues we have with things like var is so many people don't understand the rules to begin with so any sort of clarity or explanation can only make things better.

Liverpool fans saying it doesn’t balance out when they won a Champions League final against Spurs on a handball decision so unjust that the rules of the game were changed. Have some perspective.

Referees are human beings. They’re never going to get everything right.

Last edited:
Liverpool fans saying it doesn’t balance out when they won a Champions League final against Spurs on a handball decision so unjust that the rules of the game were changed. Have some perspective.
A - no they werent
B - we won 2 nil
C - totally different competition and governing body

Last edited:
It's a bit conspiracy-ish (well, a lot) but the more this sort of stuff happens, I get a little more suspicious that it's borderline deliberate incompetency because the officials don't really want VAR, nor do those running the league etc. and so they make the whole thing 10 times worse than it needs to be to help drive calls to remove it again.

Other sports manage with minimal interruptions and controversies but in football it's become routine very rapidly for decisions to take bloody ages and reasonably frequently be just as controversial or even more so than pre-VAR decisions ever were. It doesn't need to be as bad as it is and it's reaching the point where it's hard for me to believe it's simple innocent incompetency now.

Liverpool’s second came in the dying minutes as Spurs chased the game. A penalty after 24 seconds radically changed how the game was played.
Doesn't detract from the rest of your post being wrong - you had 87 minutes to score between the pen and the 2nd and yet you created absolutely nothing.

Even if you actually had a valid point, dragging up a game from 5odd seasons ago is nonsensical.

Last edited:
We had a goal disallowed last season as they drew the lines from the wrong player. Unfortunately there is going to be human interaction in the process for the foreseeable future id imagine, so mistakes will never be impossible.

Wasn’t there a game last season where they ‘forgot’ to draw the lines? It’s all just a shambles.
Arsenal v Brentford

Lee Mason was on VAR. resigned 2 days later

Referees should be from another country officiating the English game. There is too much bias and hatred towards certain teams.

Liverpool got done like a kipper last night.

I always dread it when we have Michael Oliver. He is a Newcastle fan and always does us over.

Arsenal v Brentford

Lee Mason was on VAR. resigned 2 days later
'Mutual consent', the same as Dean. I remember reading around the time (from Dale Johnson iinm) that they were pushed out the door.

Sadly sacking these officials doesn't really help because they're the best we have right now. As Adam's just said there's a very big argument for the PL to poach the best refs from around Europe though, particularly when our refs are moonlighting over in the middle east.
This is how offside checks are done on VAR btw
That's how that one was done, you only have to watch/listen to the audio release of other incidents to see that they're not always done like this. I'm guessing but it's possible that they only state the final decision in the event that they're overturning the decision and state "check complete" when they're sticking with the onfield decision. That said, all the audio releases I have heard there has been a running commentary explaining what they're seeing.

Harry Kane? You offer Spurs £130m for him they accept it.

The same amount gets you osimhen. Even though their owner is the Italian Levy, that get you him.

Either on of them as the sole summer signing > the same amount of Onana/Mount/Hoj, you could then go back for Hoj next summer.

Fergie done it a few times, just get that one player that you need. Done it in his final season with RvP.

Klopp done the same, push the boat out and get VvD.

Pep goes for it as well, Haaland.

Utd fanny around and buy several cheaper players rather than the player they need.
Whilst I agree with the general ethos of this post, I don't think you can count Haaland in this, he was underpriced due to a release clause, pretty much any top club would've paid the £52m fee so it was just a case of what club could convince him to join, it wasn't like Pep said "OK boys we really need to push the boat out for this striker to complete the puzzle, £250m please Sheikh Whatsyourface". In terms of wages he earns the same as MU were already paying De Gea and with the cheap transfer fee I'm sure they would've paid the money.

Other than the last sentence, the statement is very straight forward and spot on.

The PGMOL have tried to draw a conclusion on the matter before even carrying out their own investigation. The PGMOL cannot be allowed to mark their own homework in secret - any investigation needs to be fully transparent so we can find out how what happened was possible because all previous released var audio and comments from ex officials have raised serious doubts over how it could happen.

so I was out and missed the controversy over the Diaz goal until this morning and I’m lost for words…what gives? I know it’s probably been discussed to death here but I’m literally lost for words.

Is it corruption? What is this “significant human error” all about?

I don’t want to go tin foil hat here but is this a bribe or something? What the hell is going on

"I don't want to go tin foil hat.." (proceeds to go full tin foil hat.)

They ****** up. Its not a conspiracy, humans make mistakes. Clearly just saying "check complete" is a terrible way to do it and I would imagine that will be changed immediately. Lessons will be learned, I'm actually surprised it hasn't happened before.

Referees should be from another country officiating the English game. There is too much bias and hatred towards certain teams.

Liverpool got done like a kipper last night.

I always dread it when we have Michael Oliver. He is a Newcastle fan and always does us over.

Great so throw a massive language barrier in there. British refs will have learn to speak all the European languages between them.

He's saying get foreign refs to work over here, replacing the British refs.

Yes and I'm sure those countries will be getting foreign refs as well. So British refs will work in Europe. There is nothing special about British refs or European refs. This argument will be happening in every country, every weekend.

If I had a tenner for every comment I've seen on the internet of some fan accusing officials/FA/PL of being corrupt against their club I'd be laughing while swimming in a pile of £50 notes.

Last edited:
Yes and I'm sure those countries will be getting foreign refs as well. So British refs will work in Europe. There is nothing special about British refs or European refs. This argument will be happening in every country, every weekend.
I'm struggling with the underlying point of your post. All I'm getting is that you're concerned that officials not good enough to manage in the PL might struggle for work if they can't speak Danish? They have no god given right to have positions officiating in major European leagues. They need to earn their spot and if they're not good enough to work here and don't have the language skills to work abroad then tough **** - that applies to everybody in every walk of life unfortunately. They can always officiate in the Championship and lower leagues if that's where their level dictates they should be.

The standard of officials in the PL is at the lowest point I can remember in my lifetime. Even compared to last season it seems significantly worse. I'm not aware of there being any rules preventing foreign officials from working in other European Leagues (in fact I'm aware of it happening for key games in some European leagues) but as yet the PL haven't decided to appoint a foreign ref. There's a very valid argument for the PL to flex it's muscles and appoint the best officials from around Europe.

Back
Top Bottom